My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got good recipes involving zucchini? I don't cook with it often but my first veg. garden is growing them well. Just picked my first one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
a girlfriend i had when i was quite a bit younger than today, her mother made this delicious recipe with zucchini. she didn't have a name for it.
the smaller the zucchini the better because it has less seeds and what are there are smaller and tender but it can be done with larger zucchini, you just have to scrape out the seeds.
i haven't had it in a while but now that your tread appeared i will be making it soon.
use as many zucchinis as needed, slice them into rounds or you can slice them length wise also and you basically make a lasagne with just zucchini, you your favorite sauce i sugest a meat sauce if your into meat, put a bit of cheese on each layer and top it all off with your favorite cheese and bake till the zucchini is tender.

basically just make lasagne but use zucchini instead of pasta noodles. you'll be surprised how good it is.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Slice them diagonally about 1/2" thick. Coat with olive oil and lightly season with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, oregano and lastly some paprika (adds nice color). Grill on your BBQ until you get the nice cross hatch grill marks on both sides (about 5 minute/side, medium heat). Do the same for summer squash.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Eat all you can for the first week. Pick them small, fry em, bake, grate them for bread,grille em, put em raw in your salads.

The second week put them in bags, sneak them onto your neighbor's porch, mail them to the in-laws, gift wrap them and hand them out to strangers!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
a girlfriend i had when i was quite a bit younger than today, her mother made this delicious recipe with zucchini. she didn't have a name for it.
the smaller the zucchini the better because it has less seeds and what are there are smaller and tender but it can be done with larger zucchini, you just have to scrape out the seeds.
i haven't had it in a while but now that your tread appeared i will be making it soon.
use as many zucchinis as needed, slice them into rounds or you can slice them length wise also and you basically make a lasagne with just zucchini, you your favorite sauce i sugest a meat sauce if your into meat, put a bit of cheese on each layer and top it all off with your favorite cheese and bake till the zucchini is tender.

basically just make lasagne but use zucchini instead of pasta noodles. you'll be surprised how good it is.

Yes! Very good I recommend it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cut them into french fry sized strips, soak them for about 15 minutes in lightly salted water, pat them dry and dust them with Paprika, and fry 'til crisp...

·
Master Dismantler
739 Posts
Slice them diagonally about 1/2" thick. Coat with olive oil and lightly season with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, oregano and lastly some paprika (adds nice color). Grill on your BBQ until you get the nice cross hatch grill marks on both sides (about 5 minute/side, medium heat). Do the same for summer squash.

Enjoy!
:ditto:
This is exactly what I do. Turns out great, even for a non veggie eater like me :thThumbsU

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
We wait until they are about 14-16 inches long and about 5 inches in dia. Bigger than you normally pick them, cuz of the seeds. Cut in half diagonally, scrape out the seeds. Put spaghetti/meat/cheese sauce in the center and bake with sliced cheese on top. Very good. Quite similar to Fabforce1's recipe, except you use the zuchinni whole.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts

Enjoy!

We use olive oil and season salt, ummmm good :D :D

The Mrs' also makes zuccini bread, good eat'n :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I make veggie kabobs using summer squash, zucchini squash, sweet onions, broccoli, bell peppers and tomatoes. Spray them with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, and I throw them on the grill for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Cut them into french fry sized strips, soak them for about 15 minutes in lightly salted water, pat them dry and dust them with Paprika, and fry 'til crisp...

OK, mytmouz, you're going to have to give some more details on how you do this. I tried it last night and "crisp" is a property that we couldn't seem to accomplish. We went from raw to progressive levels of slimy, which is the reason I wouldn't eat any of these types of veggies as a kid.

What did I do wrong?

Steve

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Zukes will never crisp up cooking them. The less cooking time the better. I like them best picked small, sliced and fried lightly over a hot pan, in a little oil with any of the fresh herbs, like oregano, sweet basil, tarragon , dill, and also garlic, diced and started first in your oil.

Are you giving them away yet?

The other way is to batter and deep fry. Not the healthiest way but they are tasty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ahve a dish that is served in Tucson where I am from. i cant remember the name but it goes something like this: 4-5 zucs', 1/2 onion, cup grated cheese, few pats of butter, salt. melt butter in skillet add zucs, onion and salt. Saute untill zuks and onion are translusent then add one half can of corn with half of the juice. Add the cheese to the top and cover until cheese is fully melted remove and serve as a side dish to anything but best with mexican food.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Zucchini bread. That's what we do with the big ones!!

I'd Have to ask the ole lady for the recipe! I'll ask her tomorrow, when she's in abetter mood!!:hide: :hide:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts