My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to using zero turn. I am seeing that I make ruts while turning. How can I avoid?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's gonna take practice. Try not to stop the inner wheel, the more it turns, the less it chews. This of course means the outer wheel is turning even faster, making for a very quick turn. While learning the mower, that high speed turn isn't comfortable yet, but it will come with time.
I'm only on my 3rd or 4th season with my first zero turn, and I still make chew spots sometimes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
what you want to do is to back the lever from the inner wheel so it slow down, but still turn, I would also reccomend to slow down the outter wheel, but less then the inner wheel, so you can make a slow speed turn without tearing up the grass

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Watch the Pro grasscutters on YouTube. They use a 3pt turn instead of a continuous turn to avoid damaging a client's grass. Search YouTube for " turning a zero-turn mower with no ruts".

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Take is slower in turns. No need to make high speed, snap turns. Even the pros can't afford to put ruts in a client's lawn. Use an easy, smooth touch on those lap bars. You should be able to use minimal lap bar changes to negotiate even a 180 degree turn.

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
try doing u turns till you get use to it

·
Registered
316 Posts
Definitely takes practice! The three point method helps alot.

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Amazing the number of videos on that subject! Must be a common mistake for using a zero turn.

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
if the ground is wet you have to be careful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts