My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shiny new John Deere Z915E had a nice puddle of fluid under it yesterday evening when I pulled it out of the garage. Fluid is clear and oily. The transaxle on the left side is leaking but can't tell from where exactly. My question is it common for these units to leak? With only 7.5 hours I'm stunned this thing is already leaking. I checked the fluid level in the reservoir and it's on the max mark so I didn't add any additional fluid. As best I can tell, it appears the leak could be coming from the seal around the axle but I couldn't see it well enough to confirm. Is it possible the system had air in it and burped out of a relief valve I couldn't see? TIA.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If this is brand new and under warranty, then don't touch anything and call JD service where you bought the mower. They can void any warranty if you possibly go in and retorque any nuts/bolts and mess it up worse. There are some things you can do like change the oil/filter by not using JD's fluids(as long as it's compatible) when the correct hours or time is reached as long as you save the receipt and note it in a repair book, but leakage is something they need to see and correct.

Just let them do the job that your warranty covers. They'll also replace any fluid(if covered under warranty loss) and properly burp(if needed) any hose lines. Let them break, replace any gaskets, or get you new hydraulic hoses if needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to the dealer yesterday evening. They said it would absolutely be covered by warranty no questions asked and I should get it back in a week. Guy I talked to said these new tranny's are blowing the top seals and that is likely the problem. I'll report back once I find out more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. Hope they find the real problem, to prevent any future problems.

Good thing you caught the problem early-on and not after it's blown/overheated the pump(s) from fluid loss over time.

New equipment is sometimes worse than getting used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it back last Thursday and talked a good while with the guys in the shop and my sales guy. JD didn't question anything and replaced the unit with a brand new transaxle. They said since I had less than 10 hours it had to be a manufacturing defect. My sales guy said that his went bad too but his had 1500 hours on it when they went bad. He said he was using his commercially mowing 20+ yards and it had seen a fair amount of abuse. He said they're not hard to change. Only hard part is you have to remove the transaxle to replace the seal. Somewhere on top of the transaxle is a seal (tech guy kept calling it a top seal) is what goes bad. Since I don't use mine commercially I hope I won't have to deal with this again for a long time. Best part is it cost me nothing and I was only down for a week. JD stood behind it so I'd have to give both JD and the dealer a solid 5 star review.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's good to hear you got top notch service with a failure. I know you said they replaced the whole transaxle, but without an improved/upgraded seal, you just got the same problem back and you now need to keep an even closer watch now that you know where the problem is.

Good luck and I hope your troubles are forever behind you.
Del

1 - 6 of 6 Posts