My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a Z655 with less than 200 hrs on it. Looks in great shape, but when I drove it the controls seemed a bit touchy which made it tough to mow straight. I know you should get used to it with use, but I’m nervous after having driven a residential Husqvarna that was even more sensitive, a Kubota that didn’t steer bad, and now this one. Everything else I own is tractors.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the controls to make it less responsive without losing top speed?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a Z655 I just bought with 105 hrs on it, it's my first zero turn mower so I don't have anything to compare to. I found if you don't put the throttle all the way to the fastest it will go it seems better to control., maybe you could try that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Z655 I just bought with 105 hrs on it, it's my first zero turn mower so I don't have anything to compare to. I found if you don't put the throttle all the way to the fastest it will go it seems better to control., maybe you could try that.
Interesting thought for general maneuvering, but for cutting I’d want to be at full speed. I called the local dealer and was told there isn’t any adjustment. Weird how much difference there is from machine to machine, maybe manufacturers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I cut with it at full speed and a little lower speed and it cut the grass the same. Only difference I noticed it wouldn't go as fast which was ok for me since my yard isn't real smooth.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally decided to buy the Z655 and called the owner Thursday night. He said he had someone coming a long way to look at it. I asked him to call me back if the guy decided not to take it. Owner called back about 1/2 hr later and said it sold (under 200 hrs - $3650). He has a friend that services lawn equipment who told him there’s a fair amount of variation in steering in ZTR’s and the Z655 is more sensitive.

Off looking at other alternatives.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back and tried a 2016 Kubota Z724KH-54 that only had 65 hrs on it. I tried it and found the steering a little better, only a little, so I called my brother who had run a 60” Kubota diesel ZTR for several years and mowed 4-5 hrs per week. He gave me a tip on his way of driving so I went back and tried again and found it to be much better for mowing straight lines. I just didn’t want to put $6500 into a ZTR when I have the X738.

Later I mowed a school soccer field and found I had to lower the deck for a fair cut with two week growth so I‘m back looking at ZTR’s. Lots of options this time of year. I may try out a John Deere 757 with a dump from the seat mcs. Don’t know where this will end up yet or if I will just keep using the X738. It sure was more comfortable than the schools Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I just have to decide if I want the extra hours on the X738 and whether I want to spend the extra money. I would like to be able to only mow every other week, but the tall grass and clover made it pretty tough to cut it clean in one pass.

Comments on MTF and elsewhere seem to be fairly favorable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts