My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for a little advise.

I just acquired a John Deere Z435 from an estate sale. There are no records/manuals etc so I don't have much to reference and I have zero experience with JD products so I am missing a baseline of knowing what to expect. What I am experiencing is that while mowing I am getting filthy. What I mean by that is there is a lot of debris being blown out from under the deck in front of the mower and blowing back up onto me while I am operating it. I bought this mower to replace my old Cub Cadet RZT50 which has been great, but the hydraulics are getting weak and whining a lot. Not wanting to dump a bunch of money into a very used machine, I came across this JD with only 39hrs on it and got it for what I felt was a steal. Now, I am hoping that there is a simple fix for this mess it is creating. My Cub didn't do this at all.

Is something wrong with this mower, or is this the norm for JD zero turns?

Thanks,

·
Registered
82 Posts
In general, zero turns do kick up a lot of debris from under the deck.

Sometimes it has to do with the cutting conditions and the height you are cutting at.

HOWEVER, I would check with your dealer to see if a "blowout baffle" is available (it may be part of a bagging kit).

I bought a Scag Patriot last year, was cutting at 4" and me and the machine was COVERED with dust and clippings. Found out there was a blowout baffle for the left front as part of a bagger kit and now literally not one blade of grass comes out from under the front of the deck - just out the discharge.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Unless you're mowing an area where the grass is thin your ZTR shouldn't kick up any more dust than a rider.

If the grass is thin then yeah it would kick up a lot because of the high blade tip speed of a ZTR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts