My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z-Force dog tracks pretty badly. When trying to go full forward, it wants to veer to the right kinda harshly, I have to let off of the left handle about 50%...and the opposite happens in full reverse, wants to go left unless I let off right handle 50%. I tried the adjustments the manual mentions, but they are just handle limiters...by setting them, I don't have full speed...and there are none to set the reverse. Are there adjustments on the hydraulic drive motors that are prolly wrong?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There was a very similar issue with a Z-Force 48 owner on another board. Wound-up being the bearings were in bad shape on one of the front bogey wheels, causing the machine to pull to one side badly.

Joel

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a very similar issue with a Z-Force 48 owner on another board. Wound-up being the bearings were in bad shape on one of the front bogey wheels, causing the machine to pull to one side badly.

Joel
TY, I will look into that

·
forkz
5,950 Posts
i have not had any problems on my z 50 with that my bars were off a little but i adjusted that mine runs strait

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have not had any problems on my z 50 with that my bars were off a little but i adjusted that mine runs strait
Yeah, I tried the adjustment screws but the left handle has to be so far back that it doesn't have full speed, and there are no adjusters for reverse so that'd still be messed up, so there has to be another issue. Problem is I sort of inherited this so I have no clue how it was taken care of before me.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I'm wondering if you could prop up the rear end, put some white paint marks on each tire tread so you can count wheel revs easier, and then put her in drive with both handles full forward or full reverse and see if one drive wheel goes faster than the other.

At least then you'd narrow it down to a linkage adjustment problem (if different wheel speeds) or a caster wheel binding problem (if speeds match).

Might want to pop off the deck belt while testing this just to be safe in case you hit the PTO while it's propped up.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm wondering if you could prop up the rear end, put some white paint marks on each tire tread so you can count wheel revs easier, and then put her in drive with both handles full forward or full reverse and see if one drive wheel goes faster than the other.

At least then you'd narrow it down to a linkage adjustment problem (if different wheel speeds) or a caster wheel binding problem (if speeds match).

Might want to pop off the deck belt while testing this just to be safe in case you hit the PTO while it's propped up.
VERY good ideas. I will try them tomorrow, I was trying to figure out how I'd troubleshoot this one...This makes a lot of sense. I was hoping...it almost fixed itself tonight. I let the wife mow (BIG MISTAKE) cuz I had to change her oil and do a couple other things, and she wanted the grass mowed...I look over and she is trying to mow the steep ditch with the zero turn. She ended up BURYING it to the axle...when I finally got it out (with the truck...couldn't even lift it out) It seemed to drive right, but only for a little bit it started veering back to normal again...

Oh well, I'll do the test like you mention. What is hard is the tractor shuts off when get up off the seat unless parking brake is set. I messed a little with this sensors but not much...anyway that you know of for sure to bypass them so I can run this test?

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Oh well, I'll do the test like you mention. What is hard is the tractor shuts off when get up off the seat unless parking brake is set. I messed a little with this sensors but not much...anyway that you know of for sure to bypass them so I can run this test?
Nah, don't bypass any sensors. That could be unsafe. This is a 2 person operation. One sits in the seat and operates the levers, the other watches from behind and counts wheel revs. Maybe with a strategically placed mirror or digital camera in video mode it could be done with one person...

Just need your blocks (or whatever is propping up the rear) to be very stable so the thing doesn't tip/wobble while someone's sitting on it. Got jackstands?

·
Registered
334 Posts
No clue on the Cub, but on my JD putting the seat up (as for engine access) disables the seat switch so it'll run. Makes sense that would be a maintenance 'feature'?

- Lynn.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
VERY good ideas. I will try them tomorrow, I was trying to figure out how I'd troubleshoot this one...This makes a lot of sense. I was hoping...it almost fixed itself tonight. I let the wife mow (BIG MISTAKE) cuz I had to change her oil and do a couple other things, and she wanted the grass mowed...I look over and she is trying to mow the steep ditch with the zero turn. She ended up BURYING it to the axle...when I finally got it out (with the truck...couldn't even lift it out) It seemed to drive right, but only for a little bit it started veering back to normal again...

Ok I know zip about Z turn's but if I understood you correctly once you got it out of the ditch I moved properly ?

This is just a guess but while it was sitting in the ditch at an angle I wonder if the trans fluid shifted to the weaker side and then as you ran it it pumped it back more to the side that runs right ?

I wonder if there is a blockage to one side or maybe an air pocket causing one side to trail the other ?

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to be a smarta**, but did you check the air preasure in both rear tires? are they the same?
Wow, I never thought of that, but I doubt it is the problem cuz it doesn't revolve around one tire,visibly they look fine, and I would think if it were causing this much of an issue they'd be obviously different...I will check it anyway, but the left side is faster in forward, but the right side is faster in reverse.

That's why I post here, such simple things that never go through my mind, could turn out to be the problem. My mind always jumps to the most complicated possibility for some odd reason and it makes it hard to find simple problems. Anyway, thanks for the idea to look out for, even if it isn't the problem, it'll be filed away in the knowledge bank for another related problem down the road.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I may have found the culprit. After messing around doing donuts in the back yard, I think the casters are fine, they seem to look like they have respective angles when going to the right or left with only one lever moved...both forward and reverse. After enough playing like that I came to the realization that the left lever feels quite loose compared to the right lever, causing it to have a lot of play and not being able to move all the way back before it hits the stopper. Then as far as forward, I think it prolly needs adjusted some after it is tightened. We'll see in the next couple days though, I didn't have too much time to mess with it as I work at 4 am.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got the handle tightened up and it helped, sort of. But there is still a problem now the problem revolves around the right side before it was opposite sides that made tracks kinda like // now tightening the loose handle it arcs (( so I made sure I checked the tire pressures like mentioned, and the right tire (which is moving slower) actually was slightly higher psi. Under the hunch of bad caster bearings, I swapped the casters around, nothing. At this point I don't think adjusting the handles will help, as the left side is always faster in forward and reverse. I'll still end up trying it, but have my doubts. Any other ideas are appreciated/needed.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts