My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 YTH22V46XLS with a little over 50 hours on the meter that I picked up used. Did a complete fluid/filter/spark plug change. When starting from a cold start, full choke, it takes ~15-20 seconds for it to fire up. No smoke (black/white) after starting and it runs fine after starting. Warm starts are in the ~1-2 seconds range. Fresh gas too.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My GTH27 does this occasionally.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the electronic choke setup on the Briggs engine.

Someone recently posted on this forum that they got a replacement engine (via warranty) which had a mechanical choke and the "long time cranking to start" issue disappeared.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay - is there anyway to verify? I'd like to be sure before I go out and rent a trailer to bring it in for service.

Move info: Engine model number: 40H777-1223-B1

·
Registered
943 Posts
Okay - is there anyway to verify? I'd like to be sure before I go out and rent a trailer to bring it in for service.

Move info: Engine model number: 40H777-1223-B1
Sounds like a choke adjustment is in order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a choke adjustment is in order.
I think you are right. I did a test last night after checking the linkage. I noticed that when you move the throttle into the choke position, there is a lever that extends up to activate the choke. I found that the level can go up even higher by pushing it up with my finger. When I did that and had my wife try and start it, it fired right up. Now the question is how do I adjust it?? Including a picture with the lever that I pushed up higher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the hood off over the weekend and studied the linkage for a while. Figured out how to adjust the cable to get the choke to fully close the butterfly valve. Tractor starts right up now from a cold start.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Took the hood off over the weekend and studied the linkage for a while. Figured out how to adjust the cable to get the choke to fully close the butterfly valve. Tractor starts right up now from a cold start.
Awesome, great job! :trink40: BTW, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on the choke adjustment. I got your update on my phone but couldn't see the picture! But you figured it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts