My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on the Lawnmower Forum but thought I would post here also
Mower has aprox. 100 hours on it, Mulched up my leaves last Oct. and blew it off with air and put it in the garage. Moved the mower out today and changed oil and filter and greased and filled with gas. Charged battery and engine runs fine--but when I try to drive it it will hardly move in Forward and not at all on an incline, reverse seems to be OK. At times when trying to drive around the yard it will move but not very fast and any incline no matter how slight it starts to whine and stops and I can backup fine. No grease leaks anywhere. I have tried to disengage the transmission with the small rod by the rear tire and roll it and the engage it again but still the same results. Any help will be appreciated. Model 917.28836 22 HP 46" cut

JAS

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,141 Posts
Will it back up the hill OK?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Look through this thread.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cannon
Cannon
Want to Thank All who have replied so far,We have been in a daze running around trying to get ready to leave for Conway,Ar. -- our granddaughter is having complications with the birth of her baby--they were going to inducing labor and had to take her in for emergency kidney stone surgery and things did not go well. We are leaving shortly for a 18 hour trip and will answer all when we return. Again Thanks
JAS

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will it back up the hill OK?
Just arrived back home and will start checking things out tomorrow. Backing up the hill is the same

·
22,742 Posts
What transmission is in your mower and how steep and long are the slopes?

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I hope your granddaughter is doing OK!!

For the tranny, I would take a look at the control linkages (I don't know if this is hand- or foot-controlled) to the transmission. In case that slop from worn linkages, bushings, etc, are "using up" a bunch of your linkage motion when you move it in the forward direction. Maybe the control mechanism at the actual transmission is only moving a little bit in the forward direction, but moves normally in the reverse direction.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What transmission is in your mower and how steep and long are the slopes?
I do not know which model the transmission is and the slopes are very slight and 15' or so in length

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,141 Posts
For the model 917.28836, Sears shows Transaxle, tuff torx k46bt
NLA , They do not list a P/N.

·
I break things
462 Posts
1. Make sure the main drive belt is not slipping. Look for oil on the belt, debris, excessive wear ect.
2. Make sure that the free-wheeling rod is set correctly. (little rod out he back that allows you to push the tractor is not pulled out.)

If both of those are okay, then you may have cooked the transaxle if your property is too hilly. Sears may no longer carry the transaxle, but you should still be able to find one that will work with a little hunting on the internet. Hopefully it is something small that can be fixed easily.

·
Money Pit
759 Posts
Good information above but also check the transmission mounts. Check for loose or missing bolts on the front transmission mount plate. Check the rear axle mounts for cracks in the frame. Check the idler pulleys on the drive belt, make sure they turn free and there is no belt burn spots in them. Lastly - not real easy to do - check the transmission pulley they sometimes strip out on the transmission shaft.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started the tear down and it started snowing but it was not to bad. I removed the deck and blew everything down with an air hose. Both the deck belt and the drive belt were in good shape-all springs attached and tension pulleys were it good working order but it was dirty and lots of junk was removed and I had blew it off last Fall after mulching the leaves and picking up the results with my corded leaf blower.My eye sight isn't the best at close distance since I made the mistake when I had cataract surgery last year they asked me if I preferred to see the best without my glasses up close or far away and I chose far away and can see well without my glasses while driving but struggle up close. Any way I had my grandson crawl under and see if I had missed anything while cleaning and he found that the front of the transmission was really caked hard with grass and dirt and when I had put the tractor in free wheel last fall rolling it around in the garage I had left it that way over the Winter and when I moved it forward this Spring the grass and dirt had hardened and the lever was not fully taking the mower out of free wheel. After a good scraping it works fine now. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

JAS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts