My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contacted recently by a guy with an 8481AE for sale - says it doesn't run, but he has no idea why - asking $20.

I'm sure I'll go and get it because 1) it's only $20 2) it's an aluminum deck model 3) it's a commercial model 4) it has an F-series engine and most of all 5) it's a Lawn-Boy. Just thought I check for you opinions on the non-staggered wheel design. Also, wondered what kind of value - I haven't seen many of these before so I'd think more valuable. On the other hand, it's 4-square so less valuable, right?

I'll be sure to post some pics after I pick it up later this week in the meantime I'd love to hear what you have to say about this model.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Definitely go get it. It is a fairly unique model, an electric start suburban. Plus the gas tank is easily worth the $20.

Bob

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Definitely go get it. It is a fairly unique model, an electric start suburban. Plus the gas tank is easily worth the $20.

Bob
It's not a suburban but you are right about the value. I have one and it's sitting on a shelf right now. The transmissions on these are junk (make sure it doesn't lock up by pulling back and forth).

-Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I picked it up last night - about a 1-1/2 hour round trip drive, but for $20 I couldn't pass it up. Battery is dead, but did come with a charger. I plan to put a recoil on top of it though - at least until I find out whether the battery will hold a charge.

The guy I bought it from couldn't find the bag. Any of you have a bag that will fit this mower? I looked up the part number - bagger assembly is p/n 682922. Let me know if any of you have one you can spare.

Anyway, I think it will clean up nicely.

Attachments

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Did you get it running?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have this exact model, only not AE. It is one of my best.....propels super fast and as for the transmission, dont let them scare you. Grease it up and it's fine. I find the design unique and it mows tall grass easily and fast. It also has a tone to the exhaust kind of like a small boat motor burble.........I like mine. Glad to see you got it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I like it becuase it gets under low trees very well and around shrubs and under my picknic table.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added a recoil to it, changed out the ignition coil and put a rebuilt Walbro carb on it and she fired right up! Cable for the self propelled is missing so I'll need to locate one of those. Crankshaft was a little wet down around the drive pulley - carb was wet too so not sure if was coming from the carb or that lower oil seal. Now that I have a good carb on it, I'll clean up the little bit of gas that was there and see if it gets wet again. Muffler looked pretty bad - I'll probably cook it later this week - coil is baking in the oven now - a lot of Lawn-Boy cookin' going on at the house.

The blade looks like it's been sharpened about 2,500 times so I'll be in the market for a 20" blade as well. Let me know if any of you have a bag, self propel cable or blade for this mower. If not, I suppose it'll be eBay shopping time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My Dad looked at one of these when he looked at the Lawnboy I have now. Dad picked ours because he thought the electric start was just one more thing to go wrong and our was in better shape(They were both demos). So far so good with mine.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I have a non-electric start one too. I think it works good for getting around and under stuff but I really wish I had the bagger for it since its not a great mulcher.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I personally like some of the the 4-square lawn boys. They do a GREAT job mulching and with my lawn I'd rather have the 4-square than the staggered wheel.

My dream is to find an old helmet shroud Mulch-R-Catch (the kind that had the dark green shroud and wheels). No luck around here so far...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts