My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm officially jealous :thThumbsU
Congratulations on the find! Another Terramite resurrected from the otherwise eventual rust heap. Best of luck with the restoration.
Can't blame you one bit jrd :thThumbsU

Thanks RDM.

Restoration. Whered you guys get that idea :dunno: You guys know I very rarely paint anything right :drunkie: :sidelaugh

Ok ok you never know with me. But first it needs to be useable then pretty :dunno:

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
Big congrats, Steve! You're going to have to build a new shelter just for this one!

:thThumbsU

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so what did you get it out with? The Yanmar? They had a machine to load it with?
Hey Al im still 900 miles from home yet. Were gonna head north saturday morning at some point. I wanted to get this loaded before the rain hit thats moveing threw down here.
P1020935.JPG
Im hopeing the yanmar can do it :dunno: Im gonna have to check the loader bolts (they are always loose) and go for broke unloading it. Worst will be a come along and a big tree to lift it out. I'll manage even if I have to get skiddy from work.
P1000601.JPG

They used a big jd backhoe. I mean big. I should have got a pic but I was too busy trying not to drop it on the truck :hide:

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Big congrats, Steve! You're going to have to build a new shelter just for this one!

Thanks Mikey,
I know I already have 2 riders in the garage that need to go else where. Cross that bridge when I get there

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
417 Posts
Steve - gotcha re the working part - first things first, no doubt there. Just great to know that you've pulled it from the brink and will make the best of it. A keen eye for sure to sight it like you did, especially when it was just the BH frame sans Gravely. Many of us who are always on the lookout may not have caught it. Must be from the years of experience suffering from G.A.S.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Steve - gotcha re the working part - first things first, no doubt there. Just great to know that you've pulled it from the brink and will make the best of it. A keen eye for sure to sight it like you did, especially when it was just the BH frame sans Gravely. Many of us who are always on the lookout may not have caught it. Must be from the years of experience suffering from G.A.S.
Yeah its great feeling to know they've been saved :thThumbsU

First time by wasn't sure. Kinda thought so but did one of them IDK things. When we came back threw I wanted to see for sure. I said out of the blue to mom and dad thats terramite sitting there in the weeds! I'll come back and see whats up.
So next day monday went and pull in the lot a car length with out a doubt knew what it was. Fella called his boss/owner. Talked to boss and bought it and you know how it goes.

I just am always scanning while moveing and not driveing (im bored then) and never know what ya see :fing32:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm telling you, you need to put an LS under it and call it good :fing02:

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Congratulations on the save. :thThumbsU Why not set a target of next year's Mow In to have it running AND cleaned up. It would be a great time and place to show it off. Who knows, you may come away with an Unusual Attachment prize.

·
Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
Congratulations Steve! That was some find, especially since you were driving at the time. How you instantly knew what it was as you past it is beyond me. I would have gone right past it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Great purchase, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Rick

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Well Steven has to get the Terramite working first so he can dig those new building footers!!

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys.

I think my hardest decision is what tractor to put it on. Should be a mid 60's CI would be correct or an LI. But what one do I use. Might get a few choices going and have a vote lol. Im trying to think of one that fits the bill, but none jump out at me. So stay tuned fella's I'll get there :fing32:

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
417 Posts
Since your Terramite is a 7 spool, it is one of the "later" one's. Earlier T-1s did not have hydraulic curl and only had one hydraulic stabilizer, and used an LI. Not sure at what point they shifted LIs to CIs as the powerplant. May want to think about contacting Terramite. Long ago when my dad, brother and I stopped by their factory their sales manager was very helpful. He had his guys drag out S/N 1 T-1 for us, which they'd just finished restoring not too long beforehand. That was way back circa 98 or 99, so personnel may have changed at Terramite, but worth a shot since you appear to have options as to whether to go LI or CI.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Since your Terramite is a 7 spool, it is one of the "later" one's. Earlier T-1s did not have hydraulic curl and only had one hydraulic stabilizer, and used an LI. Not sure at what point they shifted LIs to CIs as the powerplant. May want to think about contacting Terramite. Long ago when my dad, brother and I stopped by their factory their sales manager was very helpful. He had his guys drag out S/N 1 T-1 for us, which they'd just finished restoring not too long beforehand. That was way back circa 98 or 99, so personnel may have changed at Terramite, but worth a shot since you appear to have options as to whether to go LI or CI.
CI's started in 67 from gravely. I have no way that I know of to put a date on the attachment its self. Im kinda figuring being a later one its after 67, but in all honesty does it really matter. Not really.
Once im home I'll get a better look at it :thThumbsU

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
417 Posts
CI's started in 67 from gravely. I have no way that I know of to put a date on the attachment its self. Im kinda figuring being a later one its after 67, but in all honesty does it really matter. Not really.
Once im home I'll get a better look at it :thThumbsU
Yup - you're right, don't really matter. Heck, we all know how Gravely sort of put this and that together in a somewhat mixed configuration over the years. Parts from this model on that one for a while, then a change etc. Just thought if you have the option of picking one or the other from your vast collection you'd wana go with the closest match. No idea what sort of records Terramite has, although they had a copy of the original drawings way back when I stopped by their factory. Best of luck with it all.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Terramite was bought out by a company out KS years ago. I talked with the Marketing director a few years ago. He told me that at least one of the son's of the founder still worked in the WV factory. He told me when they were in WV after the purchase doing an inventory, they found this. And no, its not for sale

DSCN2331.JPG

DSCN2332.JPG

DSCN2334.JPG

DSCN2335.JPG

DSCN2340.JPG

DSCN2341.JPG

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Fantastic pics Ron! Thank you. :thanku:

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
417 Posts
Hi Ron - indeed, great pictures. Well done! Unless I'm mistaken, that's S/N 1 T-1, which I believe is the same one they showed us long ago. You'll note it only has three spools. The spools were for left/right control of the boom, boom up and down, and dipper stick in/out. There's no cylinder for bucket curl nor any hydraulics for the two main outriggers. The operator had to lift on the gravely with the boom/dipper stick, set the two main outriggers with pins and then raise the tractor with the third outrigger between the handles. That outrigger was controlled by the left most spool, which has a valve to the left of it to select between two different functions.

You'll also see it is on a pallet with a latching system for the crate cover. Terramite used to truck that around to trade shows. When I stopped by with my dad and brother in 98 or 99, they'd just restored it not too long beforehand. The sales manager had his guys position it in front of the factory ahead of our arrival so when we drove up it was out in front sitting in the grass all by itself. It was as impressive to see then as it is to see now in pictures. I still have some 3x5 pictures of it someplace but the shots you took are really nice.

Terramite has come a long way since their humble beginnings, which included quite a few guys from the old Gravely factory in Dunbar, which is or was about 3 miles down the road from the Terramite factory.

Thanks for sharing. Rob

21 - 40 of 160 Posts