My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grass is growing, spring is here and guess what? No running tractors. :bonk:

With all the tractors I have, you would think ONE would work, but NOOOOOO. The N and my 444 are bolth waiting for parts. and my 224 is kicking my BUT with a stalling problem. So pretty much all I have it a 22" push mower, and my Gravely L with the 30" brush mower that realy does not do a great job cutting regular grass. AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of just running out and getting a cheap $800 Murry and be done with it all :14_6_5: :banghead3 :banghead3

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
:eek: "...cheap $800 Murry..." :eek:

That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!
ROF ROF ROF

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Paul,

Visit your local tractor dealer and check their "boneyard". You might find a good used tractor ($80 with blade, $45 without)... Good used tractors can be a good deal and get your work done cheaper than a "cheap" new one..

Greg

·
Super Moderator
31,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya I know Greg, and I was at my dealer today, but they did not have anything. Was looking at a nice new MF 2722, what I belive is the came as the Simp Conquest. 22hp, 50" deck for $4500. Nice tractor, but the wife put the nix on a new one. So who knows. Using the push mower today, and going to hit the rough stuff with the Gravely. Well at least the rain has held off.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Look on ebay....you can get some nice restored older Cubs for way under $1000

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Greg said:
Paul,

Visit your local tractor dealer and check their "boneyard". You might find a good used tractor ($80 with blade, $45 without)... Good used tractors can be a good deal and get your work done cheaper than a "cheap" new one..

Greg

How do you sleep at night...........$45.00 for a used JD 170 is not a bargain its theft! ROF

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Well I did have to air up the tires, charge the battery and buy a can of starter fluid to get it running....oh, and I had to wash it.... Doesn't that count for something?

ROF

...and new filters, oil... Oh the $ I have sunk into this thing... :banghead3

Greg

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Yea Greg i don't know of anyone that has a dealer like yours and no one as lucky as you except Chip. :hatsoff:

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Paul, maybe you could pick up something in the back of your local Wall Mart or Home Depot...

Jody, Chip has the "Houdini" touch at Home Depot dumpsters... ROF ROF ROF..

Greg

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
Greg said:
Well I did have to air up the tires, charge the battery and buy a can of starter fluid to get it running....oh, and I had to wash it.... Doesn't that count for something?

ROF

...and new filters, oil... Oh the $ I have sunk into this thing... :banghead3

Greg
Greg,
You forgot to mention that special cup of coffee you gave him to drink before he let you have it. ROF God only knows how much the special ingredients in it cost.

·
Super Moderator
31,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's one for you guys..

Anyone ever hear of a battery going bad when warm? After it dies I have voltage, but just a thought, maybe something goes bad, and it looses all its amps when it gets hot. Any one ever hear of that? Just a thought, its about the only thing I have not changed. You know I used this all winter with no problem splitting. Its just the warm wether thet does it. Defently heat related also, becouse last summer it ran fine with the hood off.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I've had batteries with a "floating" short...Stick the battery from your 444 in and see if it makes a difference.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Paul,

The battery probably has a cracked plate that opens up when it swells due to the heat. Only thing to do is replace..

Greg

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I don't see how the battery could make it stall,,,unless your charging circuit is on the fritz...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ingersoll444 said:
ya I know Greg, and I was at my dealer today, but they did not have anything. Was looking at a nice new MF 2722, what I belive is the came as the Simp Conquest. 22hp, 50" deck for $4500. Nice tractor, but the wife put the nix on a new one. So who knows. Using the push mower today, and going to hit the rough stuff with the Gravely. Well at least the rain has held off.
I have the crossed blades on my Gravely L and I get a great cut. You can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheap. sharpen them up and you'll never have another problem. Plus you'll get all that great exercise!! :fing32:

Andy

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Ingersoll, I feel your pain. Went through the same thing a couple years back, ended up running down to the nearest Sears store just to buy a cheapo push mower of theirs to cut the grass till my new JD arrived. Nothing like having the grass start and weeds start to get out of hand and nothing available to do battle with :(.

·
bitter old man
135 Posts
replace that battery - sounds like plates inside have come loose and lose contact when warmed up-- pretty common--

·
Super Moderator
31,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chrpmaster said:
I have the crossed blades on my Gravely L and I get a great cut. You can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheap. sharpen them up and you'll never have another problem. Plus you'll get all that great exercise!! :fing32:

Andy

My other Greavely has the crossed blades on it. I have not fired it up in a few years, but maybe I will dig it out. I will need to sharpen them for sure, there pretty bad, but what the heck. Maybe I can pickup a nice 40" neck for them cheap also. That would do the trick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts