My Tractor Forum banner

You guys ever do this?

3K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  JeffinIA 
#1 ·
When you're driving down the road you are always looking in to side and rear yards to get a glimpse of a hidden gem back there? A flash of red, green or yellow will make your heart race. You might veer off the road momentarily and clip a mailbox. Your wife might yell at you for not paying attention and endangering the whole family. And then...you find the motherload:woohoo1: a whole back yard full of stuff. You get out and walk up to the door, you don't really know why. (Think James Earl Jones - Field of Dreams) You will glady hand over money just for a chance to walk around and remember the past. It's Tractors Ray...........

Tel me I am not alone here.

#2 ·
All but the hand over money to walk around part. If I hand over any money, there will be something in the back of the truck.

I love the way you wrote that none-the-less though.

#5 ·
I do that EVERY trash day through EVERY town I drive through to and from work. And it's for more than tractor and mower stuff. I'm also looking for aluminum, furniture, wood cabinets, copper wire, etc.

#6 ·
Your not alone... :)

Almost been rear-ended a few times,when I put the binders on,after spotting some potential "treasure" rusting away in someones field or back yard before!..I need a bumper sticker that says "CAUTION:-I brake for JUNK!"...

99% of the time anything I do see and stop and ask about ,ends up in one of many categories ..

#1.. "Nope,not for sale,I'm going to restore it"..(been sitting there since WWII,but he's "going to fix it up--"someday"..

#2. Yes,I'll sell it!..but be forwarned,it'll "need some work"..I'll take 250 for it!
(it's been parked under a tree for 15 years,and everything is seized up,rusted,and is basically scrap!--worth all of 10 bucks!.--yet the owner says "just file the points and put in her,and she'll fire right up I bet"...ya,riggghhhhht!

#3."THAT old hunk of JUNK??..why,if you can haul out out of here,it's YOURS!..(heard that only a few times--usually from a disgruntled wife,or EX wife,of a tractor-holic like myself!..)..I got a few decent tractors and other things that way..divorcee's are usually VERY generous when it comes to disposing of EX husbands "junk" they were told to remove long ago,but did not.. :)

I once had one husband come running out of his house when he saw me about to drive away with an old sit down mower,that his not so lovely wife said "take it,I'll be GLAD to see THAT hunk of iron outta MY yard!
I didn't know what to do--his wife was yelling "Take It --GO!--GO!"dont listen to HIM!..--and he's saying "you put that back where you got it,or I'm calling the COPS!..I put it back,and drove off,left them battling it out in the backyard!..wasn't worth the hassle to me!..

I wonder if they are still married?..--if not,it wont be the first marriage put on the skids because of an old tractor,antique car,boat,etc..women seem to hate men owning any of them,for some reason..(probably why I ain't married!)..

I recall one guy telling me when I asked if a hulk of an old lawn tractor in his back yard was for sale,he said--"naw,I cant sell THAT--I NEED it, to P*** off my WIFE!..otherwise,she'll hav nothing left to bi*** about!.. we both busted out laughing!..I think its still there too,and that was 10 years ago!..

#7 ·
--"naw,I cant sell THAT--I NEED it, to P*** off my WIFE!..otherwise,she'll hav nothing left to bi*** about!.. we both busted out laughing!..I think its still there too,and that was 10 years ago!..
I LOVE that one! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

#8 ·
Many a times I got..."Watch where you're going. You almost ran off the road!!!" from the wife.
Joe,
I love clean up days around my area too. I can't believe the things people throw out. Mostly because they are too lazy to haul it to scrap yard or transfer station themselves or put a 4 sale sign on it. Got good bikes for the kids, shelving for the garage, etc.

#13 ·
I have done this for years, most of the depression ware we have is from old farm houses and for sale places. I was looking at a piece of property last year that had a troy-built horse in the barn, didn't get the farm but did work a deal on the tiller. :ROF

#17 ·
Hey Todd,

Last summer I found that rusty, running Cub 108 for $25. After that it was the Cub 1650 in very good condition for $100. Then I thought I saw a red IH 582 and clipped a mail box, but it turned out to just be a Massey.:ROF

#18 ·
My wife always drives because she won't get arrested and one night coming back from a Chinese food run I yelled, "StopSTOP!" then, "Back up about 5'." She did (she's used to this) and I jumped out to grab a brand new fancy plastic handled diagonal cutter laying right under the car door...

However as I jumped out to make the grab my foot caught the handle of the plastic bag between my feet with the $30 worth of lo mein, chicken and garlic sauce, etc. and out it went into the street. Most of the stuff stayed in the containers but the "chow fun" wasn't too much "fun" anymore...

BTW, it was Wifey that spotted a Gravely L sitting back next to a garage just about under a pile of lumber. She called me at work and I took it home for $50 w/30" mower and sulky that afternoon. It became "Haw" right next to "Gee" my other L.

#20 ·
Aw come on now, show some backbone! I have no garage and 2 Cubs sitting out in the driveway. I do keep the WH 856 in the shed along with the JD 345. Wifey is not happy but I tolerate her chickens.......and feed them and water them and they wake me up at 4:45 a.m. every morning. Geez, I think I should get another Cub.

#24 ·
Those of us who have wives that look out for us are indeed lucky. My wife has found a couple of things for me, always thinking I'll sell them, but when I get to that point, she steps in and keeps me from selling my toys. Gotta' love her!

#25 ·
haha. im always looking around for equipment or tractors. my GF says i have a swivel head. Quite a few times ive been yelled at for wandering off to the shoulder or towards the oncoming lane just to see something in someones yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.