My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ejl in Pa.
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a Kohler 25HP CH730 vtwin that had low compression in cylinder #1. Did a leak down test and found a leaking intake valve. Had the valves redone at a machine shop and tried to save a few bucks by purchasing a cheap gasket kit off Amazon. The four head stud nuts provided in the kit are soft metal junk. 2 out of 4 the threads stripped out while attempting to torque to 315 in. lbs. per the Kohler service manual. Lesson learned.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781G982Y/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
According to the Amazon link you provided, there are no head bolts included in the kit. Even the Kohler gasket kit from Kohler doesn't include head bolts and are a separate item.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Most torque wrenches are in foot-pounds, which would be about 25 ft-lbs for 315 in-lbs. I hope you were using a ft-lbs torque wrench, otherwise, no wonder the bolts snapped!!

·
Ejl in Pa.
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the Amazon link you provided, there are no head bolts included in the kit. Even the Kohler gasket kit from Kohler doesn't include head bolts and are a separate item.
I edited my post because I mean't to say "nuts".

·
Ejl in Pa.
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most torque wrenches are in foot-pounds, which would be about 25 ft-lbs for 315 in-lbs. I hope you were using a ft-lbs torque wrench, otherwise, no wonder the bolts snapped!![/QUOTE
Thanks for your input but I am quite aware of the difference between inch pounds and foot pounds and there are many sites online with inch pound to foot pounds converters. And to have a torque wrench that goes up to 315 foot pounds it would be a 3/4 inch drive and an expensive torque wrench. I also edited my post because I mean't to say head stud nuts.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thanks for that clarification, ejl6658! Makes more sense now.
Kohler does recommend that those nuts are torqued in two steps, the first to 200 inch-pounds then to the 315 inch-pounds.

Yeah, I once had a machine with 64 bolts that had to be tightened to 500 ft-lbs each. Used a five foot torque wrench and lots of muscle. Tore that machine apart on at least a weekly basis, sometimes more. Took 5 hours from start to finish.

·
Ejl in Pa.
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kohler does recommend that those nuts are torqued in two steps, the first to 200 inch-pounds then to the 315 inch-pounds.

Yeah, I once had a machine with 64 bolts that had to be tightened to 500 ft-lbs each. Used a five foot torque wrench and lots of muscle. Tore that machine apart on at least a weekly basis, sometimes more. Took 5 hours from start to finish.

Yes, I saw that in the manual when I looked up the torque spec.

What were you a heavy equipment mechanic?

·
Administrator
4,939 Posts

We did similar on an extrusion die for plastics. Used a torque multiplier

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quite close, actually. No, I was a maintenance mechanic in a plastic extrusion factory. The machine was a plastic grinder that took sheets of plastic and turned it into confetti. Three 4-piece blades 72 inches long on a rotor and two fixed blades. 125 HP motor. Setting the clearance of 0.05 between the rotating blade and the fixed one took the most time. Always lost parts of my beard doing that.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Had a Kohler 25HP CH730 vtwin that had low compression in cylinder #1. Did a leak down test and found a leaking intake valve. Had the valves redone at a machine shop and tried to save a few bucks by purchasing a cheap gasket kit off Amazon. The four head stud nuts provided in the kit are soft metal junk. 2 out of 4 the threads stripped out while attempting to torque to 315 in. lbs. per the Kohler service manual. Lesson learned.

The last command twin I did with blown head gasket only came as a kit with the improved gasket and studs.
The gasket was great and very improved but I didn't like the studs. I ended up using factory kohler bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts

Ugh! I bought some chainsaw parts from Amazon and replaced all my hoses with "supposed" Tygon. Couple months later they were mush. Sometimes that deal really is a deal and then there's this. Sorry you had this happen. No bueno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts