My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

new to the forum.

I recently purchased some land that has an abandoned Yanmar 2500 on it with several other implements. Talking with a neighbor he thinks the tractor has been sitting in the woods for 6-7 years. Other than paint peeling and tons of pine needles on it the thing looks to be in decent shape.

before I put a battery in it and turn the key... which i do not have... just ordered one from Hoyetractor.... I imagine there are some things I need to do...

planning on draining all the oils and fuel.... changing all the filters... what else should I do? Could the cylinder walls be rusty or anything like that? Should i run some kind of cleaner or lubricant though it?

thoughts?

I don’t really need it... just like tinkering.

Greg

·
3,230 Posts
If the exhaust points straight up and had no cover there is a chance water could have gotten in...you might want to see if you can get a wrench on the shaft and see if it turns...are the tires still good? If they are maybe you can tow it with someone on it ..in gear with foot on clutch, and ease off the clutch at low speed...see if she turns over...good luck with it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points... I think the exhaust was covered... will check. front tires are shot... I think the rears might be ok. I was just afraid to try and turn it over without some kind of lube sprayed in it or something. I did notice the tiny little return lines from the injectors were not all there. I ordered some line to repair that.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
re
Hello

new to the forum.

I recently purchased some land that has an abandoned Yanmar 2500 on it with several other implements. Talking with a neighbor he thinks the tractor has been sitting in the woods for 6-7 years. Other than paint peeling and tons of pine needles on it the thing looks to be in decent shape.

before I put a battery in it and turn the key... which i do not have... just ordered one from Hoyetractor.... I imagine there are some things I need to do...

planning on draining all the oils and fuel.... changing all the filters... what else should I do? Could the cylinder walls be rusty or anything like that? Should i run some kind of cleaner or lubricant though it?

thoughts?

I don’t really need it... just like tinkering.

Greg
[/QUOTE
Are you in Arkansas?

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Yeah, I would suggest manually turning the engine over 2 full times, to ensure it's not/won't be hydrolocked spinning with the starter

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Check the serial number and the Yammer website. The year and country of origin can then be determined. That will also determine how available parts are. Hope you have a good one as they can be great little tractors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went over today and messed with it a little. Needs the decompression cable but the mechanism on the Engine works smoothly. I tried turning it over by hand with the cable pulled and it was very smooth. Closed the cable and I couldn’t turn it over so I know it has some compression anyway.

Will drain fuel, install new filter and battery this week and see if it will fire off.

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... update.
I drained the fuel tank, changed the filter, filled the thermostart, bled the fuel line at the pump...

tried to start but no go... got a little white smoke but then that stopped.

any tips for what to check and how to check it? Thoughts are to pull injectors and inspect... not sure what I am looking for though. Is there a procedure for bleeding the fuel system I need to know?

any method for checking the fuel pump?
turns over smoothly with the decompression level pulled but as you close it the battery can’t keep up and it only turns over a few revolutions before the stops.
open for any and all suggestions.

thanks,

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I am assuming the pump is the injection pump. If so break a line loss at an injector and see if it is getting fuel to it. If it is the injectors will need to be checked, possibly cleaned and tested. The fuel that was setting in those lines after all that time would be some real crud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update. Looks like my injection pump isn’t working. Nothing Coming out at all. I pulled the pump. The slide appears stuck and two of the little roller hicky dos do not slide in and out smoothly.

from what I have read googling around is that it is about the same cost it buy a pump as it is to rebuild it... Hoye tractor seems to have the best price.
anyone know where I could het a quote on a rebuild?

greg

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
If you can get a seal kit for it they are not to difficult to work on. A few tools that will be needed are a freezer to freeze the injector pistons and a big pair of tweezers. Plastic one will work just fine. The biggest one will be a near dust free environment for cleaning and assembly. Think surgical clean here. The last being do not touch anything with you bare hands or powdered gloves during assemble except the outer pump housing. Just touching a piston can expand it to the point it will not fit the pump bore. One would think that after warming up they would freeze up in the bore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So many things in an injection pump to go wrong and so many things to check and calibrate. Would not recommend for a DIY'er.
JMO.
Last thing you want is a run away diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I let the pump soak overnight in pb blaster... two of the chambers loosened up and started working. One was still stuck solid. I was able to tap it with a dowel a few times back and forth and got it to loosen up. then the rack started to loosen up so I soaked it a little more and got it to start sliding. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner and compressed air then soaked it a little more in PB blaster.
it now all seems to be working. rack slides easily and the pump cylinders work in and out smoothly.

cleaned the tank out a little better so now I will go reinstall everything and see if it works. The only thing i am worried about is one of the keyed inserts came out in my hand. I slide it back in but have no idea if it is in the correct position on the rack. It looks correct but it could be a tooth or two off. Not sure what impact that might have. Maybe that cylinder will get more or less fuel?

now if the injectors are good it will run.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Just make sure you flush the filter and all the fuel lines before connecting them to the pump. I would also clean the lines to the injectors before connecting them to the pump also. The pump timing is done with the spacer behind the pump.
If you don't have it the manual for this little tractor it would be a must till you get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts