My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just got my ym1900 23 hp back together .new piston ring ,hg,head valve job ,got it running ,started box blading my yard and about 15 to 20
min. into it ,started lossing power and black smoke out of exhaust,
i shut it down and 1 hour later it started up and 15 to 20 min it did it again

not sure if it is overheating or something else need some advice,
mybe rad or water pump or maybe i did the valve ajustment wrong,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well still working on tractor ,not sure what is wrong running for about 20 min.,
then losses power and blows black smoke and shuts off,it will restart ,when i let it sit it will running again and do the same thing,

things i have done ,had rad flushed,new rings new hg,running out of idea,

mark if you are out there,sure could use your help

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hi Trap,

Sorry I missed your first post. I’ve been missing my email notifications due to an ISP change…still working on that.

After going back and reading all of your previous posts on this project YM1900, I can’t put my finger on anything that you may have done out of the ordinary. And then….Bingo! So, before I disclose what I strongly suspect what the problems is, I went over to my mechanic (brothers) place who has helped me with several of my Yanmars, had him read everything off of his computer (all of your eight posts) and asked him what he thought. Once finished, he said (and without hesitation) either the bottom return hose is collapsing or the radiator is clogged. Although I hadn’t considered the bottom hose…I did feel the same about the radiator. We’ve sent out four radiators in two years for repairs (rod’ed out and re-solder) and it’s fixed the problem entirely.

Yeah, I know, it seems like a stretch but if you have, or can barrow a infra-red thermometer chances are pretty strong you’ll get a hot reading on only a few of the center cooling tubes and cold around the sides and bottom. If there isn’t a significant area for the tubes to circulate and cool, your tractor will operate fine for a few minutes then overheat internally and try to seize the engine.

I hope this helps and please let me know when you try…and the results.

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i back with more info ,i had the the rad rod and flush ,check all hoses and it still runs good for about 20 min then black smoke and loses power

i really like my yanmar but running out of money replacing things,i borrowed
a inf red thermometer and pointed it at the rad 135 to 150 all over rad fins

not sure if water pump or the govener or inj pump any help would be nice

starting to think its not overheating

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Geeze Trap,

Feel awful about suggesting you chase a phantom overheat problem. Wayne (LMTC) is probably on to something concerning injector performance/failure. Shoot, I'd hate for you to give up now! If the budget allows, it wouldn't hurt a thing to purchase a (two) injector nozzle kits for a rebuild...and go from there?

Good luck, I'll ask around and tell everyone that suspected the overheat problem that that's not it.

Mark

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I have had that problem on a case and it ended up being an injector pump that had to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i back ,still working on tractor,little more info it seems to run real good for 20 min,then under any load it starts to blow black smoke and losses power,after a little bit starts up and runs good,still thinking maybe water pump or rad, any help will be helpfull,maybe inj,or govner,or inj pump

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I have a diesel truck. Have you checked the fuel filter? Just a thought, I know nothing though.

·
Old Cowboy
19 Posts
Had about the same thing happen to me on my 1500D, end up being the fuel filter. replaced the filter, blead the lines. and problem went away. I had only had the other filter in it about 2 week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i am back ,just wanted to updat the ym 1900 23 hp,after,checking the injectors,still did not fix problem ,so a diesel mechanic fron cumming,told me to check the governer ,so i pulled the side cover the spring was hanging up,so i took it off and cut it and spray wd 40 on spring and the plunger and put it back together ,ran it, and it runs great for about 2 hours
the next day i used my scraper and ran great all day,so to all thanks for your help,and never give up on your yanmar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts