My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting guys, I'd like to ask for some feedback reference my brakes.

I've had this tractor for about 2 months, noticed early that it didn't have much of a braking ability, in a previous thread some have recommended some things to do short of replacing the shoes. I broke the seals on the brakes today and was hoping that I could rotate the shoes but they are pretty evenly worn and they look to be worn down pretty thin. I think new shoes are in the cards. I'm attaching a couple of photos, one of the shoes and one of the drum. The drum concerns me as it's pretty pitted. As you can see the shoes haven't been in contact with much lately.

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

I'm interested in feedback on the drum, seems to me that as rough as it is it's going to eat a pair of shoes in a heartbeat. Can these drums be safely turned or are they generally replaced? Any help at all would be appreciated. In the mean time I'm putting it back together for right now.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is just something to think on. I would consider taking your drums to a machine shop and letting them clean them up a little. They are not like a vehicle where over turning could cause catastrophe because they are slow speed and your tire is not on them. From your pictures I can't tell how deep the pits are but you certainly would not want to over clean making your new shoes inoperable. I have read several posts where people installing new shoes have a hard time getting things clean enough for the new shoes to go in so that tells me you should have a little clean up allowance. Good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes since, thanks much.

Today was one of those days when I intended to fix several things but after tearing some stuff down found out that the problem was a little different than what I'd planned on so I didn't get anything accomplished. I guess I need to look on the bright side...I didn't break anything. :fing20:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Greeting guys, I'd like to ask for some feedback reference my brakes.

I'm interested in feedback on the drum, seems to me that as rough as it is it's going to eat a pair of shoes in a heartbeat. Can these drums be safely turned or are they generally replaced? Any help at all would be appreciated. In the mean time I'm putting it back together for right now.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Your attachment pictures do NOT indicate your brake shoes a worn beyond use (IMHO).

If you take certain safety precautions and securely jack up your tractor with the brake drums exposed, you can gently clean up the drums with a Dremel or die-grinder and cylindrical stone bits.

With the tractor running and in high gear, as the drums spin, you can remove a slight amount of material from the drum's surface. Attempting to remove all of the pitted surface will render the drums over-sized and useless. Use a good face mask filter and a shop vacuum to avoid breathing any particulate matter. Once you've reattached the brake shoe assemblies, you should be able to adjust the pedal link rods to compensate for shoe wear and new drum clearances.

EDIT- btw, is there a 'pivot' on your brake backing plates that allow you to rotate 90°?? Many of the YM series tractors have this pivot that allows you to re-arch the shoes and provide several more years to the shoe life....

Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
personally instead of a dremel tool or die grinder I would use an engine hone, not the bal type, the much cheaper 3 finger type. granted you'll have to either find or cut the existing stones to about the same length as the depth of the drum. I've done this before for my grandpa's duetuz (how ever it's spelled). I dremeled the metal off the fingers then used a chisel to tap the stone, broke clean enough. worked pretty good for me not to mention your tractor isn't running in high gear on jack stands ;) and the hone puts equal constant pressure on the drum so it's gona turn out more concentric than with a dremel.

you may be able to retrofit brake cylinder stones to the engine hone frame.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

Your attachment pictures do NOT indicate your brake shoes a worn beyond use (IMHO).

EDIT- btw, is there a 'pivot' on your brake backing plates that allow you to rotate 90°?? Many of the YM series tractors have this pivot that allows you to re-arch the shoes and provide several more years to the shoe life....

Mark
Mark,

Yes, there is a pivot on the brakes but I don't see how it's going to get me anything else. The pads wore very evenly, and are worn to the point where the operating cam is at full expansion with all of the adjustment taken up in the linkage. Unless I'm completely missing the concept of re-arching the shoes - and I've been a complete knuckle head before so I might be missing something here but I don't see how I can get anything else out of them.

Dave

·
Registered
806 Posts
To me you are talking fixing it or patching it up? If it were mine and I was going to keep it I would do it right to start with. Not saying you can't get by, I guess it sort of depends on how you look at it. I figure whatever makes you happy will make us happy. :)

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Mark,

Yes, there is a pivot on the brakes but I don't see how it's going to get me anything else. The pads wore very evenly, and are worn to the point where the operating cam is at full expansion with all of the adjustment taken up in the linkage. Unless I'm completely missing the concept of re-arching the shoes - and I've been a complete knuckle head before so I might be missing something here but I don't see how I can get anything else out of them.

Dave
Well, if it's already fully extended and the pivot has been rotated then it's time for new shoes....

Just remember to return the pivot to the normal position or the new shoes wont fit inside the drums. :fing32:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me you are talking fixing it or patching it up? If it were mine and I was going to keep it I would do it right to start with. Not saying you can't get by, I guess it sort of depends on how you look at it. I figure whatever makes you happy will make us happy. :)
I've got the new shoes on order and going to visit my local brake shop tomorrow to see if they can re-surface drum that size. Brakes (on anything) are an item that I'm not willing to compromise much on. If I'm going though the hassle of tearing things down I want to fix it right and forget it.

I appreciate the help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts