My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of looking and reading about tractors - I found this ym186 that seams to be the perfect size for me. It's about one size larger than I need with ample gears to provide power and slow crawling. O

is 2600$ a good price? From what I've seen ot seams like a fair price.

1979 model with a moddified rops.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would be doubtful about the 740 hours but if the tractor is in good condition I would consider that a fair price. Tractor Data shows that model made from 1980 thru 1986. If it is an 80 model that would be less than 25 hours a year. That is possible, just unusual.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Ryker,

IMO, any good running three cylinder diesel powered Yanmar tractor is worth $2500. Add the feature that the YM186 has Power-Shift puts it easily, into the $3K price range. And 740 hours is NOT unrealistic considering the meter is variable with maximum RPM. You can operate you Yanmar at various RPM and for several hours to equate to (1) ONE hour reflected on the hour meter.

I see one Red Flag...You need to find out what a "Modified ROPS" means, as ROPS shouldn't be modified in the slightest as it negates the engineering into the original safety standard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Owner said hours are thought to be correct - he isn't the first owner so it could be rolled over one or more times... Paint is thought to be orginal so I don't think it's a refurb.

Also a rhino se4 rotary cutter.

Hope to pick it up today.. If so I'll be asking the typical questions as I change all the fluids out, grease all fittings, and clean the injectors.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
C O O L !!

Perhaps before you put your money in his hand, give it a full 'cold start' and operate everything when it comes up to temperature. Let him know you have the money but you want to check out the machine completely - looking for oil or hydraulic leaks, seals and gear ranges, both hi and low. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to future posts and pictures of your new machine :trink39:

Mark

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, especially with the Rhino cutter to boot. Didn't mean to sound negative about the hours. My 82 or 83 model 2002d has around 2800 hours. It has been gone thru tho. It is a fine machine. Looking forward to hearing from you again.:fing32:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I may be frugal but when ever I buy anything that runs show up 1/2 hour or more early to start things up cold.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Started fine cold or warm. Other than needing a new starter solenoid. Only a very slight puff of black smoke on start up.

Radiator fluid was clean both cold pre start and after being warmed up. Oil was overfilled. Crankcase pressure seamed normal with engine running and oil cap off.

Hyd Pump has a slight leak. I cleaned off the surface and spent about 30mins running the engine and had a new film covering the front. Perhaps a drip per 20min of use.. Also small minor leak at the PTO shaft. I didn't notice a hyd fluid dip stick to check the correct level. Owner said he added standard hyd fluid last year. Plan to change fluid and filter.

Air filter was in place and clean.
All gears and ranges worked. Lift went up and down with ease.

PTO low speed (bottom position) was a little tricky to slide in. ??? Once PTO was engaged the rhino Se4 cutter came to speed quickly. When I pushed the clutch in as the speed of the cutter slowed down there was a loud clicking noise from the gear box (?) the noise was related to speed and slowed down with the speed of the cutter and stopped all together once the PTO was taken out of gear. ? Owner said he filled the cutter gear box with engine oil, so I need to determine if that is correct grade oil. I thought gear oil or grease was normally used.

Overall the 25 year old tractor needs some wire brush and rust remover. Grease, fluids, etc etc. So I snatched it up for 2900 with the mower.

Things needed:
Owners manual
place to buy parts (http://www.tractorpartsinc.com has the best prices)
suggestion on Oil, hyd fluid, oil filter, air filter, hyd filter, water weight in the tires(?).
Not worried about the leaks until winter sets in and I have less yard work and more time.

Oil filter crosses to a couple of Wix filters including the 51064 and 51568 (Napa 1064 and 1568). And I guess a normal Delo or Rotella diesel oil is correct.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The clicking noise could be an over run clutch on the pto shaft. Did you notice whether it has one? That could be a normal noise. I use 90 weight in my cutter gearbox. You need to use a hydraulic/transmission fluid in the transmission, not just hydraulic oil. JD303 or equivalent. I use Rotella 15w40oil, just make sure it is an oil made for diesels. The shifting of pto in sometimes requires easing out on the clutch a little to slightly turn the gears to line them up. These things aren't synchronized. No recommendations from me on parts, there are several good vendors out there. Lastly, congratulations!:greendr:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've bushhogged for about 7hrs total and the little tractor is a breeze to drive. The easy to shift transmission sure does make it quicker to change speeds as needed. Going to added some gym weights to the front end to keep the front end down.

Think the little tractor will work fine for years. I'm using Mobil Delvac engine oil and power service adding in the fuel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts