My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the Owner's manual and the repair manual, I still have not been able to discover how to check the oil in the steering box, or where I add it. I have looked it over carefully and unless you remove the adjustment screw with the nut on it that adjusts the play, I don't know where or how to change or add oil. It takes 80/90 gear oil according to the books, but they are silent on checking or adding. Can somebody help? Thanks again.

PS I think I have fixed the right front wheel seal problem. Smeared some J&B weld on the worn area and after it was cured, sanded it smooth and reassembled. NO leaks so far!

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
One of the very few things that Yanmar engineers did without considering the ease of access for their tractor owners is the location of the fill plug.

Most of the YM series tractors have a 'fill plug' on the inside of the steering shaft tube. You have to feel it and remove the rubber plug. Running your hand up/down the shaft tube towards the dash panel is the only way to discover it's location.

Several owners have drilled and installed a small, rubber (Freeze) plug to a more accessible spot.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, your tractor looks somewhat like mine. Mine has black wheels and I think I would like to paint mine like yours. Is it an off white? Can I take the adjustment screw nut loose and unscrew the plug with a screwdriver and put oil in that way? The other method sounds difficult and I don't think I could do it on mine unless I took the steering wheel off. Is there a correct level for the oil? THanks again for your help......Catch

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
*Mark, your tractor looks somewhat like mine. Mine has black wheels and I think I would like to paint mine like yours. Is it an off white?

*Can I take the adjustment screw nut loose and unscrew the plug with a screwdriver and put oil in that way? The other method sounds difficult and I don't think I could do it on mine unless I took the steering wheel off.

**Is there a correct level for the oil? THanks again for your help......Catch
Catch,

*The wheels are Valspar implement 'White'. The chassis is Ford dark blue and the tin is IH Red. All oil base Valspar and purchased from Tractor Supply.

**No, I don't think you could produce enough pressure to fill the box up to and above the 'Ball-Nut' assembly.

***I'm sure there is...but I don't know what the capacity is. I've drained mine and added just over a full pint.

Here's a diagram of a YM186 steering assembly I have from LMTC. It should be the same, or very close to your YM165. You can detach the pitman arm or drag link and unbolt the box from the transmission tube. Then slide the whole assembly up through the dash panel if you want to partially disassemble the box to clean and inspect. You can also see the plug location in the parts diagram :

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, while pushing tenacity to the point of stubborness, I found the **** fill plug. I had to remove the fuel tank to get the allen wrench in there to open it. The tank was flush against the plug which was flush with the wall of the steering box. The drain was even more well hidden as I had to remove the bracket that holds the throttle. But it was there and I did get to change the oil. Thanks for all your help......... Catch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts