My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!
Brand new here and hoping for some advise.

I'm in the market for a CUT and found a refurbished 1986 1510D for just under 4K. It's 4 hrs away from me, so I haven't seen it yet.

I like this one because it's 4wd and need this to get up in the back property.

At 19hp, I suspect it won't do any tree stumping (unless very small).
Also figure this is not much bigger than my lawn tractor.

I'm looking to clean up the landscaping (work some clay banks back and round them off), haul cord-wood (will be cutting out about 1/2 an acre of oak) and do a bit of basic grading (yard and driveway).

Am I asking too much of this tractor?
Does the price seem reasonable?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Welcome to MTF, Olddawg!

You may be surprised at how much bigger, certainly more powerful and heavier the YM1510D is compared to even the largest of lawn tractors. It weighs about 1350#s, has the 3T75-SA 3 cylinder diesel engine and comes with the Power-shift transmission.

The only problem, if this is one, is the tractor is listed as an '86 (refurbished) Yanmar...the YM1510D was manufactured from '79 thru '81. I would move cautiously and ask several questions about the tractor before I made the four hour trip. First question would be how many hours are represented on the hour meter. If it's a dealer, then surely ask about the warranty, any service available and where he/she imports the tractors from.

If the tractor is accurately listed and well supported as a 'used' unit that's been refurbished here in the U.S. then it will do every task you've listed with ease....and $4K is a reasonable asking price for this model. If this is a dealer and not private party, can you supply us with the importer-dealer's name?

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
Virtually no parts support for the FWD on a 1510D. Bearthat in mind. Ask specifically what "refurbishd" means. Anyone who calls it an 86 model is msinformed or worse. I would not buy from someone who was misinformed (or worse) considering how easy it is to get the correct information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That was more than I hoped for!
Thank you guys!

The dealer is Zephyr Knoll Farms Dundee, NY.
Know him at all??

I double checked the listing and my email to them and I'm correct about the '86 listing. Was afraid I might have mis-stated..

The warrenty stated in the email as follows "All our tractors are reconditioned plus all the filters are converted to NAPA brand. We warrenty them for 30 days plus we will fix anything at cost for the following 11 months. P and L."

Sounds pretty good if I didn't live 4 hrs away.
Just one of the reasons hoping to get to know you folks.

I'm now a bit concerned about the 1986 stated listing...

If I was to consider this a '79 and reconditioned to good running condition, would it still be worth the $4k?

I also assume that "no parts support" for the 4wd means no support from Yanmar.
Are there after market suppliers for these parts?

Once again, thank you folks!
I needed help and seem to have come to the right place!

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Wow! That was more than I hoped for!
Thank you guys!

The dealer is Zephyr Knoll Farms Dundee, NY.
Know him at all??

I double checked the listing and my email to them and I'm correct about the '86 listing. Was afraid I might have mis-stated..

The warrenty stated in the email as follows "All our tractors are reconditioned plus all the filters are converted to NAPA brand. We warrenty them for 30 days plus we will fix anything at cost for the following 11 months. P and L."

Sounds pretty good if I didn't live 4 hrs away.
Just one of the reasons hoping to get to know you folks.

I'm now a bit concerned about the 1986 stated listing...

If I was to consider this a '79 and reconditioned to good running condition, would it still be worth the $4k?

I also assume that "no parts support" for the 4wd means no support from Yanmar.
*Are there after market suppliers for these parts?

Once again, thank you folks!
I needed help and seem to have come to the right place!
OK Olddawg,

I'm going to say that if LMTC says parts support is bad for the front wheel drive components then it's true. *He is one of the biggest (and oldest) Yanmar parts, service and importers of good used Yanmar machines still in business in the U.S. 513-877-3000-Little Miami Trading Company - http://www.LMTCompany.com

I looked up Zephyr Knoll tractors ( http://www.zkftractors.com/ ) and it would appear they no longer import used tractors from Japan. And their refurbish seems to be done by them and only (mostly) cosmetic. That's a good sign. A problem remains that support for your potential tractor is 4 hours away, only one month of warranty and the future from them seems dismal for parts and support.

Perhaps a little more shopping now, may save you some headaches in the future. We have many Yanmar owners here on this forum that would gladly share their buying and parts support experiences if you'd like to take this up a notch :fing32:

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
all the filters are converted to NAPA brand.
Double bad. The NAPA air is an "almost fits" and over a few hundred hours is guaranteed to let in far more than the OEM, which is a ******* size. The aftermarket we sell is made to the OEM specs and is the only one we know of that fits absolutely properly. Given it's cost, app. $13, what might one conclude about a "dealer" who would use an almost fits?

Mark, read the *rap on the site....http://www.zkftractors.com/ same old tired stuff we used to hear all the time from the reconners. The garbage about Mitsi/Cub, Ford/Shibaura....all a smokescreen because you could never get parts for grey Mitsis from Cub, or for Shibauras from Ford or NH (ok, work at it long enough and maybe you find a half dozen parts that match up, but there is no supply chain to speak of). Just a deceptive line of tripe for the unsuspecting buyer.

Your money, your choice, and I wish you well. Seriousy. I do. But reading that page is enough to tell me I wouldn't put a hundred bucks into one of their tractors.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Wayne,

I went back and read their entire site, listings and available Yanmars as of January 2010. All of the correct years on the YM series are off by several years.

Olddawg,

Not stealing your thread, just reevaluating my first cursory visit to the dealer you're interested in. Usually I do a better job, but I missed too much until after my second visit. This link: http://www.zkftractors.com/tractors4wd.html tells me that the dealer has either inadvertently recorded the years incorrectly....or intentionally (?). Notice also, they don't indicate hours on any of their used gray market units. I did NOT see any of the typical badges or labels that indicate these tractors have been refurbished in Vietnam and imported to them.

I believe (IMHO) that what we see from their web site is the remainder of a dwindling inventory, and as they've indicated, wont be resupplying their used gray market tractors.

In answer to your original question; "If I was to consider this a '79 and reconditioned to good running condition, would it still be worth the $4k?"...Yes. Years produced have little bearing but hours and routine maintenance make a substantial difference in the useable life expectancy. I'm sure for a little more money and much more consideration from whom you buy will make a great difference in how happy you'll be with your machine. I wouldn't rule out the costs of having one delivered, but there are only a few (dealers) that can/will work out a discount pending other deliveries to your area.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am about the same distance from the dealer in question. I spoke to them several times and decided to look elsewhere for just the reasons given.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, I say "thank you all" for your replies.

My response to the query about 'reconditioned' came back as;
When we recondition the tractors at our shop, Howard who has done all the work on them for the past 10 years first drains all the fluids, check the transmission, and radiator, replaces all the oils, anti-freeze, filters and any worn parts with Napa parts.
He then check the compression of the Engine, the transmission, pto, hyro 3pt and makes sure everything is up to standard. The starters are also rebuilt, or cleaned. We touch up the paint, and test it ou. We install only Koyker loaders, since the are designed for each tractor, and have parts and operation manuals for the tractor and loader.

I like what was stated, but...
Why not tell me what was done to this tractor...
Hmm... Really wish he was closer...

For the year he stated "When I purchased the tractor from Japan it was listed as a 86, so that is what we went with.

For someone dealing in tractors and I looking for a 'pro' and the tractor being worth the dollar even if it's a '79.
Why not correct the date.

Needless to sat , but I will away, getting a bit discouraged about this dealer..
Once again, wish I lived closer and could personally check them out.

These could be great, honest folk, but given the discrepancies, distance, lack of real information (given I may not have asked all the right questions, but still, they know what I should need to know to sell this to me), I'll be looking elsewhere.

Happen to know of a good Yanmar dealer closer to NH???

Thanks again to all!
Great info and probably saved me thousands!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting...the Japanese we have dealt with over the years couldn't care less about a model year, or about listing one. They simple don't give a hoot.

Even if it is true, it doesn't say much about their initiative to get good information. Ask to see a copy of the parts catalog they work from...we'll gladly email ours (186 pages) upon request. If they have nothing to show, how do they get parts when they need them? And again, ask where they get parts for Mitsubishi and Iseki and check it out. To my knowledge there simply is no consistent parts supply chain for them...and that is why we do not touch them. I consider it unethical to sell something you know has virtually no part support....unless you tell the customer that, and how many would buy then?

Mark, or anyone....got info on a consistent parts supply chain for Mitsi or Iseki? And I don't mean an occasional part here or there...I can get a few things, outlandishly priced, but not most parts. Certainly not enough to be confident that we could make most repairs. With the Yanmar models we buy & sell we have that confidence.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Personally I don't have 1/10th the knowledge lmtc or mark have but if they say parts support is dismal I wouldn't give $1500 for a near perfect tractor.

Just my $0.02 but I would look for a model parts are available for.

Not to mention the filters, the Deere dealer I bough mine from serviced it except for the air filter. The sales man told me they found one that was close at Napa but didn't install it because it wasn't exactly right. He even offered to give me the filter to use at my own discretion. I respectfully declined.

for what it's worth I gave $2500 for my 1401D, 900+ hours on the meter, could not be happier other than it needed tires on the front and since Denman went under it was near impossible to find the ones I wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts