My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this before, but got confused on the answer I recieved(wasn't sure which belt size of the two for the deck I was told). I believe Bart, you had helped me with this issue prior. Here's what I've got...I'm not sure if the smaller mower for the 200 series is 38'' or 40''? I have the "smaller" deck offered in 85 for my 224. I believe Bart told me 69'' was the belt length for the belt that goes under the cover on the mower that spins the three spindle housings. Furthermore, besides the question at hand, does the 44'' deck and smaller mower deck use the same belt to spin the blades, or are those different in length? I know that the pto to the deck pulley belts are suppose to be interchangable between the 44'' and 38or40 decks. Again in advance, thank you to everyone and anyone who replies. -Jon

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Because you have a larger blade span on the 44 inch deck, than the 38 inch deck, you would have to have a longer belt. I don't have the belt sizes available, but absolutely longer on the 44 inch deck.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The drive belts from the PTO to the deck are the same for all decks used on the 200 series, C23358, and are 66". The drive belts on the 400 series are the same for all the decks but are different than what is used on the 200 series.

The deck belt that connects the spindles, C23810, is 69" for the 38" deck. Deck belts are different for different decks.

The following decks can be used on a 200 series:

J40 - 38"
J44 - 44"
J46 - 48"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bart, and Rol, thank you both! I've been watching the discussion with Terry T and his belt problems with his. I'm not sure if you all remember, but recently I posted some issues I had with my drive belt/spring tension and mule bracket being out of adj. meaning even with an O.E.M. new drive belt, I ran out of adjustment. Although I had enough tension to run the mower, I was not comfortable with the adjustment and spring gap not being how the manual says it should be. That being said, I tried a new 64'' drive belt like bhildret got for Terry T's, and it fits perfect! The spring gap can be adj. properly too! So for now I'll use it with the new smaller belt, but yes, I am aware the the mule bracket must be worn and also the main deck drive pulley is obviously smaller than what my ingy must have come with from the factory. I do know that the deck was totally rebuilt prior to me buying it. Now atleast things are starting to fall into place! I tell ya...if you're not the original owner than look out! Although in my opinion, that's part of the fun with aquiring these pieces of history! -Jon

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was thiankful that the previous owner of mine had written it down under the seat.and it matched the broken one.But I still wondered why.I guess we don't have to know as long as it works.

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
The drive belts from the PTO to the deck are the same for all decks used on the 200 series, C23358, and are 66". The drive belts on the 400 series are the same for all the decks but are different than what is used on the 200 series.

The deck belt that connects the spindles, C23810, is 69" for the 38" deck. Deck belts are different for different decks.

The following decks can be used on a 200 series:

J40 - 38"
J44 - 44"
J46 - 48"
OK ... my 44" deck on my 224 is a K44 ... what's the difference between the J and the K decks?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
As far as belts are concerned, there is no difference.

Case introduced the "Snap-Fast" method of attaching decks, blades and snow blowers to the tractors in 1971. The early H deck was quickly superceded by the J deck and that was followed by the K, L, M and N decks as the years went by. The differences in the decks is often minor because they all use the same spindles, pulleys, blades, bearings, idler pulley, idler spring etc. Some models have a metal ski at the rear of the deck in the center while others have a roller there. Some decks came with a nose roller. Earlier models had the discharge chute rounded and later ones the chute was square. The really late ones had a chute that could be removed so that the boot for the bagger could be attached.

But all of the 38", 44" and 48" H through N decks will fit onto any 200 and 400 tractor but some widths are better suited for certain models due to the size and horsepower of the tractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts