My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 forward and reverse peerless gearbox fitted to my mini jeep project but it has been going around in my mind that a hydro drive may be a bit more user friendly. I am considering something like a Peerless Tecumseh Hydro trans 2000-004c

I have the following questions as I have never had or used a vehicle fitted with hydro.

1) With the present system depressing the pedal slackens the drive belt to the gear box input and applies the gearbox brake.
Does the hydro box need to be set up to work the same way?

2) With hydro boxes I assume that you put a lever one way for forward and the other way for reverse with a central neutral or are there more forward speeds to be selected?

3) Is speed along the ground cotrolled entirely by engine speed?

These are I realise very much newbie questions but I am a newbie to Hydro boxes. Any help appreciated.

Regards rog8811

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
1) There should be two controls, one for forward/reverse and a second for brake, and the braking system is independent of the hydro. Whether the controls be pedals or hand controls is up to you. Having just one control with the center as brake would be very difficult to engineer or generally non-sensical.

2) Speed of the hydro is controlled by how far you push it forward or reverse. Some garden or larger tractors will have a high and low range (or more), but that is controlled by the transaxle and is independent of the hydro.

3) No. Engine speed stays constant; the faster the hydro is moving the less pressure (torque) it has so net engine power stays constant. You only need to increase engine speed to get more torque with more speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chagrin, all my questions answered! :) On the strength of this I have just nabbed a Lawnflite axle and wheels from ebay, I have direction again with my project....I had got a bit bogged down with the controls side of things.

In case people didn't see the build in my intro thread here are some more.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts