My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to the John Deere dealer to have a look at a 3720 with cab. I went around it, I sat in it and I looked it over. I am in love. This is a dream tractor. It has everything one could wish for. On top of it, it is quite like a Labrador puppy. One wants to take it home to the kids…

Next to it was a 4520 without a cab. . I went around it, I sat in it and I looked it over. And I started thinking: I have 78 acers to maintain. In 5 years, will I want to upgrade from the 3720? I would like to buy a tractor which will help me maintain my property in an efficient way for the next 20 years. After this purchase I do not want to have in the back of my head the nagging question “should I have gotten…”.
After paying John Deere a fortune, I want to be done with the topic of buying a tractor.

So, I am leaning towards buying a 4720 with cab (I know some of you guys recommended this to me already.).

AM I OUT OF MY MIND?:Stop:

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Fritz,

It's all a question of scale (and pocketbook). :) How quickly and efficiently do you want to accomplish your tasks? If you go too big, you will have sacrifices (you've already found out the 4x20 tractors don't have a front blower option) and you may have difficulty fitting into certain areas (if you plan your roads, trails etc for this, it shouldn't be that big of a problem), but you may end up wanting/needing an additional smaller machine.

Again, what is your dealer recommending?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I'd say with 78 acres the larger machine is a must. I know my brother has much less to tend to in NH and wishes he went bigger than the 3320 he bought. He will be upgrading in a few years I believe.

MU

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Friz, I was in the same boat. I went looking at a 3720 with cab. I came home with a 4520 with cab. IF your going to use ground engaging equipment just look at the rear ends of the two tractors and take good notice how the rear or the 4520 or 4720 is built. Its much beefier and heavier duty. For 78 acres i would be going as big as i could afford. To be honest i would be looking in the 5xxx series tractors. No i'm not a JD sales man. Your JD will last a lot longer if your not using it to the full extent of its power and traction.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think JDF has a very good point here. You need to determine what it is that you want out of the acreage to make it yours. With that much land, there will always be projects beyond the scope of even a 4520. I would take that list to Deere and have them tell you what they think. Objectively, I personally think you could very well make due with a 3720. But if your plans and projects expand.....we'll that may be a different story.

Regards,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everybody:

Thank you for bringing up these very valuable points. I want to buy an Erskine rear pull snow blower. And keep my loader on for additional help with the snow. I am planning my roads, trails etc according to the width of the tractor.

Later this year we plan to add an x749 (with mower deck) to cut grass around the house and pond.

Both John Deere dealerships I have talked to think that the 3720 is big enough for me. But both concede that with a 3720 I could be back in five years for an upgrade. And that is definitely something I do not want to do.

Regards,
FRIZ

PS:
My wife would not be amused if I suggested we need an additional smaller machine.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
PS:
My wife would not be amused if I suggested we need an additional smaller machine.
They never are! :sidelaugh Usually, it costs something that goes on a finger or chain and sparkles! :)

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
FRIZ,
I know how hard a decision this has to be, but I personally think that you're
on the right track. It's like TeamGreen said, there really is not much difference in in size. I love my Yanmar motor, I never owned a John Deere ,with a John Deere motor but my brother owns a 5000 series tractor and I can tell you that the John Deere motors are so
quiet and smooth. (Makes me want to get out there and add to my collection). Have fun in your decision making and be sure and post us some pictures.:trink39:

·
Registered
73 Posts
How much of that 78 acres are you REALLY going to be 'tractoring' on?

Just because you own a certain amount of land does not mean you need a certain sized tractor. Think about the JOBS you'll be doing and buy the right equipment to do those jobs.

A rancher friend of mine owns about 150 acres (plus his son's land next 'door'). He has a shed full of BIG tractors and one little 40HP New Holland CUT. He says he loves that little tractor the most and uses it all of the time- far more than the bigger ones. He even trailers it around to the various properties that he cuts for hay to do the raking and move/load round bales. Of course he uses the bigger tractors to cut & bale the hay, but that little CUT is always running right along behind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much of that 78 acres are you REALLY going to be 'tractoring' on?

Just because you own a certain amount of land does not mean you need a certain sized tractor.
This is fair criticism, SNO.

The 4720 is 23.5 in wider and 8 in longer than the 3720. This is a disadvantage as most of my land is wooded. But on the other hand the 23.5 in the 4720 is wider than the 3720 could also be an advantage, stability wise.

But in my mind the following is definitely an advantage for the 4720:

1518 lb more lift capacity at 500 mm ahead of pivot pin
21 PTO HP advantage
3.4 gpm Hydraulics Implement advantage
And last but not least the 4720 is 800 lb heavier than the 3720

Yes, the extra money for the 4720 hurts. But I hope and trust that I will not have to upgrade (as long I do not buy more land).

Regards,
FRIZ

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Sounds like the 4720 is the tractor for you! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I agree with SNO in the regards to what your uses on the land is. if it's 78 acres of wooded land, you will have very different needs than if it's 78 acres of row crop. if you are just riding around clearing roads and what not, the 3720 is probably plenty of tractor. also the implements will be cheaper on the smaller tractor. on the other hand, if you have a lot of big trees that need to be removed, I doubt you'll be happy with a cut, go for a 5xxx series, or rent a larger machine for that type work.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Sounds like the 4720 is the tractor for you! :thThumbsU
:ditto:
You mentioned in the future of getting a X749. You may want to consider
getting a 2305 tractor instead. It is a great mowing tractor, and you
can get implements with it. Then you will have a big and a small
tractor.:thThumbsU

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Yesterday I went to the John Deere dealer to have a look at a 3720 with cab. I went around it, I sat in it and I looked it over. I am in love. This is a dream tractor. It has everything one could wish for. On top of it, it is quite like a Labrador puppy. One wants to take it home to the kids…

Next to it was a 4520 without a cab. . I went around it, I sat in it and I looked it over. And I started thinking: I have 78 acers to maintain. In 5 years, will I want to upgrade from the 3720? I would like to buy a tractor which will help me maintain my property in an efficient way for the next 20 years. After this purchase I do not want to have in the back of my head the nagging question “should I have gotten…”.
After paying John Deere a fortune, I want to be done with the topic of buying a tractor.

So, I am leaning towards buying a 4720 with cab (I know some of you guys recommended this to me already.).

AM I OUT OF MY MIND?:Stop:
List 10 things you are planning on using your tractor for on a routine basis...

Then list 10 more projects that you plan on doing that will involve a tractor and note how many times these tasks will need to be done...

Then match the JD4720 and see if it does all of the tasks...

Rental of a LARGE TRACTOR can be very difficult to execute in many parts of the US...unless you are hiring the operator at the same time...:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is fair criticism, SNO.
I apologize if that came across as criticism. It was definitely not meant to be.

It's just really easy for us to sit here and spend YOUR money. That's why I want you to think about your needs (jobs) and then determine what best fits those needs. Don't just think you need a certain sized tractor because you have a specific amount of land and someone you don't know on the Internet says "bigger is always better" - because it's not always better. :)

·
Professional Homeowner
7,651 Posts
Drop a few grand on a 40 year old tractor comparable to the 4520. Use it for a year or two. If you like it, sell it/trade it in on the 4520. If it's too much tractor, sell it/trade it in on the 3720. Same thing goes for something comparable to the 3720, or even something half way in between. You'll probably be able to get your money back out of a 40 year old machine, and make the best informed decision possible. No "should have gone bigger" or "should have gone smaller."

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
List 10 things you are planning on using your tractor for on a routine basis...

Then list 10 more projects that you plan on doing that will involve a tractor and note how many times these tasks will need to be done...
And think about the consequences of doing those jobs too.

Unlike 99.9999% of CUT owners, I want the least amount of weight I can get to minimize soil compaction. But I also don't want to spend 2 weeks cutting my field. Thus, I opted for the powerful, yet small turbo-charged 3520. It is as light as I can make it and still be safe... I have nothing but air in the tires and no weights. If I up-sized to a 4000 series, I might be able to pull an 8' cutter, but at what cost? Over time, that extra 800 lbs would wreak havoc on my field.

So don't just think about that job you MIGHT do someday that requires a larger tractor. Also think about the jobs you'll be doing every day and how your tractor choice will perform those jobs over time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I apologize if that came across as criticism. It was definitely not meant to be.
SNO, please do not apologize. I am not offended. You are doing me a favor by encouraging me to think everything through.

:thanku:
Regards,
FRIZ

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:ditto:
You mentioned in the future of getting a X749. You may want to consider
getting a 2305 tractor instead. It is a great mowing tractor, and you
can get implements with it. Then you will have a big and a small
tractor.:thThumbsU
Instead of substituting the X749 with an JD2305 why not substitute it with a Kubota B3030. Air-conditioned cab, no mosquito bites…

:fing32:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts