My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas ... Watch you ring when working around machinery...
This happen 2 weeks ago... It's lookin much better now...

·
Registered
547 Posts
ouch.....marriage seems painful....

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Like Paul harvey used to say, what's "the rest of the story"?

What does the offending item (ring) look like now?

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Ive heard of some terrible stories about ring accidents.
Looks like your finger is just short of a worse story.
Im happy for you that its not any worse.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
I've never worn rings,and aint married..wont wear earrings either!..

I saw a friend who wore a class ring end up having it nearly melt his finger right off when the wrench he was using to tighten the positive batttery terminal on his car butted up aginst the ring,and completed the short circut to ground,in a matter of a second or two,that ring was red hot,and part of it melted into a puddle..almost lost that finger,took nearly a year for it to heal,as well as it was going too anyway,he lost a lot of use of it..

Hope that heals up OK Kbeitz!...OUUCH!..

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
OOOUUUCCCHHH!!!!! That looks really painful! I'm really glad that you didn't loose the finger.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
And metal watchbands as well...I burned one in half and messed up my wrist years ago on a starter solenoid mounted on an inner fender.

Good luck with the finger. BTW, what happened to the ring?

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
i had a ring save my finger once. we were installing a heavy repeater into a custom built stainless steel box. the person who built the box never knocked the sharp edges off and when the other guy dropped his end a little my finger got caught on the edge. if i had not had a ring on it would hav esevered several fingers, but as it was i only required 9 stitchs to close 1 finger, and that was across the finger! i must have turned my hand, cause it almost completely skinned it around the circumference. anyway my ring jammed up enough to keep the full weight off my hand.

since then though i have burnt my finger or had it severely pulled many times. if i am working on anything that runs or has a 12v battery, the ring comes off now!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
You got lucky! I've had mine catch before, but never that bad. At least keep it as clean as possible. I as well as you would hate to see a nasty infection set up in that, especially since it was a dumpster.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
I spent 3 years on a UAW machine line in northern Illinois while I was in college. The company and union were strict on no jewelery. If you questioned why, they had some pretty nasty photos to show you. Enough said, better be safe than sorry any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Glad you didn't lose it -could of been worse. Hope you're healing up well and make a speedy recovery! 16 years ago, a friend of mine was retrieving a part off the top shelf of a metal rack at work. When he jumped down off the rack (stupid), his ring finger caught the open post at the top of the parts rack. Snapped the finger clean off of his hand! I saved his finger and sent it with the paramedics, hoping they could re-attach it. They only were able to save the part from the middle knuckle to the hand knuckle. The rest of it to the fingernail did'nt "take". A solemn reminder that has since made me never to wear jewelry to work again. EVER!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't wear any rings. Only a metal watch strap b/c I find the leather ones get funky after a while (I used to work in kitchens).

But when I'm working on anything where I have to squeeze my arm into tight places, or near batteries, it comes off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts