My Tractor Forum banner

Yazoo Tiller

15K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Jason76 
#1 ·
Did not no quite where to put this one. I have a 1981 Yazoo Rear Tine Tiller that was my grandfathers and was wondering if anyone of you have seen one or have any info on them.
It has a 8hp Briggs and Stratton.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks well built and lotsa tines! Somebody posted pics of a Yazoo walk-behind and a former neighbor had a zero-turn(?) Yazoo Mowin' Machine. They seem like they were pretty well built machines. I remember my neighbor traveling quite a ways to get the Mowin' Machine sometime in the early eighties.

#3 ·
I cannot find any info on this beast. It has a 3 speed gearbox with a reverse and is VERY heavy, with slab weight. Cannot wait to get her runnig again. Would love to at least see a picture of another as there are no pictures on the internet that I can find.
Greg

#5 ·
Wow - that's a heavy beast of a tiller! Might make a good Hatz-diesel converstion unit if the B&S is tired out.

I have a Yazoo-Keys ZT Max Zero-turn mower, that is an '02 model. It's been a neat little unit, I'll post some pictures of it when I have a chance. You can visit Yazoo's website at: http://www.yazookees.com/node1269.asp

However in a quick search, I didn't turn up much else. Send them an e-mail maybe they can help you out. Also try posting on www.lawnsite.com it's a very busy site and I would think someone there has seen one of those.

They just don't make 'em like they used to....That's one great tiller!

#6 ·
They just don't make 'em like they used to....That's one great tiller!

You got that right. I am rebuilding the engine. I hope to have it running soon and then I will strip and repaint this winter. YazooKees does not have any info on these old goodies. I guess they are pretty rare. A diesel would be pretty COOL on it though.
Greg

#8 · (Edited)

trying to figure this picture thing out, so if they don't post properly, i apologize. my yazoo tiller has forward rotating tines, opposed to yours, at least i figure yours is counter rotating, by looking at your tires. also not original 5 hp, but looking at serial # 5S, think it probably came with a 5hp briggs. and you must have the deluxe model, mine has only forward gear opposed to your 3 gears. still can't find any info on yazoo tillers, good luck to you, and let me know if you find any manuels or any other info. thanks

#10 ·
I found this Yazoo tiller in the crawl space of my inlaw's house. I found these tines there, too. I have never seen any like them before. They are barely used. I did not find the original tines.

I guess I need to get it running and try them out. :thThumbsU

#12 ·
I don't think those are tines, I think those are steel wheels off something else. It would be hard to hold onto in the dirt.

#11 ·
montgomery ward "hoe-trac"

i have just purchased the machine pictured below (but haven't picked it up yet). as you can see it has a sickle bar mower on the front - no other attachments. the sulky is from another mfr's product.

ok - so who made this machine (from the 40s or 50s) for montgomery ward, how common are they, are there attachments available, how can i search for them, anybody got an owner's manual they'd like to share, etc.

as you can tell, i'm excited over this machine.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

#15 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would offer some information on the tiller. The machine posted, was originally marketed as a Tillsmith tiller, a trademark of Magna American Corporation, in Raymond, Miss. The 1600 Tillsmith was equipped with an 8hp Briggs and a 3 speed gear box, and released in 1981. The Magna American company registered Tillsmith as their trademark in 1960, and was the company was located 26 miles from Jackson Miss. the home of Yazoo. Yazoo purchased cultivating machines from various manufacturers, put their label on them, and marketed them along with the Yazoo manufactured lawn equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.