My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating on getting a yard roller for my one acre. I do not believe it has ever been rolled. Also, I removed several trees and stubs last year so I have some uneven areas...plus I had some septic and electrical work done so there are uneven places where I used some fill last year.

I have a 24HP manual DYS4500. Tractor Supply has a 400 pound metal one for $200 and Sears has a 500 pound poly one for about $180. My neighbor has a 900 pound one I can borrow but I am not sure if my tractor could had it.

I am wondering if the lighter ones would do the job? I do have a aerator that I can use after rolling.

·
Registered
879 Posts
As many toys as I have I'm not too keen on buying something to use once a year-if then. In this area you can rent a roller for $15/half day or $30/full day. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked around and I reserved a 800 pound rental for $20 a day. I talked more with my neighbor and he has problems with his digging into the corners (older straight edge one).

It sure is hard fighting the "have to have new equiptment urge!"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rented a roller for a day at $20. It turned out to be a metal 24" x 36" roller so I am guessing it weighed about 700 pounds full.

The DYS4500 had no problems pulling in second gear. I think it could handle the larger 900 pounds ones without much problem.

It did a pretty good job flatting out all of the areas the earth was torn up last fall (tree stumps, electric lines, and septic work). I probably should have done last year but at least it is done now. I plan on aerating in a couple of weeks.

I think if I run into a cheap used one over the summer, I will pick it up. However, at $20 a day rental, it would take a lot of rolling to come out ahead if I bought a new 900 pound one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't forget you'd have to store that thing somewhere too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts