My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Yard Man 18hp Hydrostatic (14995-0) recently, but it needs a new bevel gear as 40 years of service have worn the teeth down. Mtd stopped making the part (748-0238). Anyone have an idea of where I can find one? I suppose worst case i build it up with elf and cut the grooves back the best I can. Is here a good option to swap out for a current part?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
If you are able to weld/braze up the teeth and grind them to shape, that would probably get the job done the fastest. I think I saw a thread here sometime last year where someone did that to their steering gear.

If not, then it's trying places that part out tractors to see if they have one.

And from googling, it appears that part number has been superceded by 948-0238.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I saw the superseded part number right after i posted, that is discontinued as well. Funny the superceded pinion gear is still produced but not the bevel gear. Ill ask around at work maybe one of our machinists can cut gears if i weled it. Im in the Milwaukee area, this is the first of these I have ever seen but I am certainly going to keep an eye out

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
It doesn't have to be perfect, just fairly close. If it were power-transmitting, then you'd want it ground properly. I would do it with an angle grinder and perhaps a file for touching up areas, testing the form by seeing how the pinion gear rolls over it (on a workbench, not repeatedly installing/removing it).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried welding, the casting is oil impregnated with 9% copper, the part actually caught on fire from the oil burning off. Tig welding worked ok, but then I tried some gear braze alloy from US forge and then I hand dressed the teeth. So far the part functions well, I am a little nervous as to wether it will chip or wear out as the braze alloy is not the soft oily metal that MTD used but time will tell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the part in question, I forgot to take a picture of the reworked piece but you can see them worn teeth
0510210724.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts