My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm not a Yanmar owner but I do read all of the different threads because they are interesting and I see things I like on all the threads. Here is where I get confused with the Yanmar tractors. I see some are like the JD ok seem to be a quality piece, some look older and seem to be a quality piece, OK
I had a neighbor buy a Yanmar, older looking and just looks like a 50 year old tractor that someone dumped 10 gallons of red paint on, I'm assuming this is a Grey Market Yanmar?
The first few weeks he had it he bragged of it's performance even though it over heated from the day he bought it. Well it's now sitting buried in the woods for four years now, with the FEL you literally have to climb over it to sit in the seat, he couldn't get it to stop over heating, the trans would slip constantly. He needed a water pump and after nearly 3 months was told he would have to take his to a machine shop and they would have to rig it none were available.
My point is maybe the web site should say Yanmar and Grey Market Yanmars.
Where to these Grey markets come from with the Yanmar name and are they all the same company or are they three different companies?

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Grey Market is a term used to describe any product intended for sale in one country and it ends up in another country (not originally intended for sale). Grey Market items are not exclusive to tractors....they can be anything from electronics to toilets.

To know if your neighbor's Yanmar is grey market or not, I'd have to know the model number. Since there are dozens of models of both domestic and grey market, It would be doubtful that parts aren't available....there are only a few, very rare models that end up in this country where parts are impossible to find.

Mark

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grey Market is a term used to describe any product intended for sale in one country and it ends up in another country (not originally intended for sale). Grey Market items are not exclusive to tractors....they can be anything from electronics to toilets.

To know if your neighbor's Yanmar is grey market or not, I'd have to know the model number. Since there are dozens of models of both domestic and grey market, It would be doubtful that parts aren't available....there are only a few, very rare models that end up in this country where parts are impossible to find.

Mark
Thanks for clearing some of that up. I was trying to figure out if it's worth offering a few bucks and playing with it myself but he didn't seem interested. But he let me look at it a take some info. He seemed reluctant to talk of it maybe that's because his wife was there. LOL. He did tell me where he bought it and I did some research and they are still at the location he said but they have had a different name the last 3 years. It's 2 wheel drive he was told it was 33 HP has a 3 cylinder eng., 2 speed PTO with reverse. Hour meter says 129. He said he was told no manual was available. Found a plate but it was painted over and the sticker on the hood was worn gone. The tires are partially dry rotted but all still have air, he also said it will start and run but still over heats after about 10-15 min. and needs a wt. pump he has a five gallon bucket hanging off the side with hoses going every where.
I'm going over this weekend to see if I can get some more numbers, thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The engine plate should be on left hand side of engine looking forward about middle ways of engine around bottom of valve cover. I'd say that hour meter has been around more than once. I would want to hear it running before offering very many dollars. Good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
another note, the meter may not have been around. it could be one of the "refurbished" ones that is thrown together from god knows what parts. as for over heating, i know it sounds like a stupid question but does it have a water pump? I believe there were some models that did not have one and work off the siphon principal. if it's one of the those proper coolant/ water mixture is important.

I'm sure mark could elaborate more on the water pump or lack there of if it doesn't have one.

·
16,815 Posts
This thread is getting interesting....Like to know what you find out....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a neighbor buy a Yanmar, older looking and just looks like a 50 year old tractor that someone dumped 10 gallons of red paint on, I'm assuming this is a Grey Market Yanmar?
Don't confuse "Recon" with Gray Market. All Recons are Gray Market, but not all Gray Market are Recon.

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts