My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to past it along, Bussmann makes a pretty much "bolt-on" replacement for the "wire fuse" fuse block of the Yanmar YM 1700 I have. It is available from, at least, Advance Auto Parts (in the US) in my area. The part number is 15600-06-20. Even the mounting holes are in the right place. It is a six-circuit block, so if you need additional circuits, two are available (we used one for a 12v "power port"/cigarette lighter adapter).

On our tractor, it was simply a matter of replacing the ring terminals with female spade lugs and plugging them up.

Some tips:

1. Disconnect the battery - seriously, this isn't just some legal, CYA safety stuff - you'll be fooling with the wiring, for gosh sakes!

2. On our tractor, the original fuse block was held in place with two bolts and nuts. The nuts are inaccessible without removing the fuel tank. Remove it and save the nuts. They are common to other things on the tractor, plus, you'll probably want to remove it anyway to install the new block. It's pretty easy, simply loosen the forward retaining strap bolts/tensioners.

3. Replace the original rings terminals with appropriate female spade lugs.

4. Mount the new block in the original holes with 1/4" x 1 1/4" bolts and nuts, installing the _heads_ of the bolts from the fuel tank side to prevent the slightly longer bolts from wearing a hole in the tank. Secure the nuts from the fuse block side.

5. Plug the wires up and add fuses. Obviously, stick pretty close to the rating of the original "wire" fuse.

I have no idea if this block will work on all 1700s or other models. I can say it was a snap on one particular 1700.

If you have _any_ wrench-turning and electrical skills, it is about a 15-20 minute job and you can then use standard ATO fuses (the medium-sized auto fuses, the little ones are "minis" and the bigs ones are "maxis"). If you have no such skills, you may not wish to attempt this.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This update as Advanced Auto no longer carries the product.

Found the product at Hoye Tractor

And now, Hoye Tractor carries even a BETTER ONE.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Nice update, thanks.

BlueSea also makes a variety of universal fuse blocks that accept standard auto-type blade fuses, some also the larger screw down type. Water and explosion (vapor) proof, and weather resistant. I've been using a few here and there with great results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.