My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will run for half hour and shuts off. Will restart and run for 5 minutes and shut off. Let it cool down and it will run again for 30 minutes. Acts like no fuel but filter is clean and full. Replaced lift pump but didn't help. Thoughts?

·
4,807 Posts
Hi tim359 and
to MTF...is it in a 332 or a 455?....we do have some guys who are wizzes on them and should be along to help you out

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah probably a fuel solenoid problem.
Try this. Next time it dies, grab the fuel cutoff lever and manually move it to the "run" position. Hold it there while trying to start the engine. If it starts then either your solenoid is failing when it gets hot or something else is acting up and cutting the power to the solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will try the solenoid. replaced the lift pump already, then I am down to the fuel pump i would imagine. thanks much

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't mess with the injection pump until you have absolutely ruled everything out AND you know what you're doing.

Things I would look at or think about:
1. Fuel cutoff solenoid, as mentioned
2. Not getting fuel to the injection pump.
-->This could be the lift pump - although you have replace it.
-->Fuel filter could be clogging up after fuel flows for awhile and then unclogs as it sits - but you say clean and full
-->It could be the fuel tank cap not trapping a vacuum (although I know my 430 has a breather tube in the filler neck so this shouldn't happen)
-->You could have crap in the bottom of your tank that is covering up the intake screen when it won't run
I once installed a tee with a pressure gauge into the supply line so I could monitor the fuel supply (gotta make sure you bleed the tee).
If you get that far and think it is the injection pump, you can crack the injector lines and crank the engine to see if you are getting fuel tot he injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts