My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yanmar 240D with a front end loader. I installed a new control valve for the fel and the pump started leaking fluid from the cover. I purchased new O rings and now the pump will not pump. The lift or the fel will not work. Checked the strainer and refilled with new oil. Has anyone had this problem? Would hate to purchase a new pump if that is not the problem. Have had this problem occur in the past and it went away. Was wandering if there is a trick to getting the pump primed.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Wesley

I moved your post here to the Yanmar Forum for better coverage. :MTF_wel2: we are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Welcome to MTF Wesley,

I'm not sure what's going on with the hydraulic system on your Yanmar (?)

If your replacement FEL control valve is the same (or similar) to the original, plumbed correctly to the "IN" and "OUT" ports and new controller is 'open center' then there shouldn't be a single hitch. Especially since you've drained the reservoir, cleaned the internal screen and replaced with new/correct hydraulic fluid.

My best guess is that since nothing works on your 3PH rock shaft AND the FEL. You may have inadvertently (or momentarily) dead headed the hydraulic pump...which will shear the pump-gear key pin. It does happen rarely, but it does happen. I think I need to bone up on these pumps as we have another member who installed a new one (pump) and is experiencing blown front seals from shim adjustments in his pressure relief valve.

I urge you to get a parts manual so you can get a feel for how things work. They run around $40 on CD..... I barrowed this image from LMTC http://www.LMTCompany.com - so you can see how simple Yanmar engineers designed their tractors for the average 'Joe' to work on:

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key is not sheared. The pump will not pick up fluid from the reservoir, the line is clear from the pump to the strainer, any ideas?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
The line from the pump to the strainer (the larger of the two lines) is the suction-return line...is there enough fluid in the reservoir? Slightly overfilled is better when you have a FEL.

Maybe you could include a picture of how it's plumbed? As some are spliced right at the pressure line and into the loader control valve....others use a manifold block at the rock shaft hydraulic connection.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The suction line has fluid in it but not at the pump. The pump is above the oil level of the transmission, this is why I'm wandering if there is trick to getting the pump primed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts