My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a Yanmar 195 tractor. It is in good shape with the exception of a diesel fuel in the crankcase problem. From the reading I've done so far I suspect the injectors but I hesitate to replace them if there is another obvious possibility. Does anyone know if this engine (2cyl, 2t84A) has a history of this problem? I do not know the history of this tractor or rather it ever ran contaminated fuel. I started it briefly, it starts quickly and delivers a moderate amount of white smoke, I did not raise the RPMs much above an idle. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
1. Sounds like a gasket or seal to prevent the diesel as a blow-by. If the wrong fuel was used that could deteriorate a gasket internal to the engine, then yes, the engine gasket is shot even though the gasket on the outside visible edge looks just fine. Depending on where the gasket is located to swap out is the cost factor in labor hours should a diesel mechanic do the work. A head gasket or valve gasket is rather easy, lower and middle of the engine has mega hours and work. But not too bad for 2-cly really.

2. Sounds like the piston rings with diesel blow-by. A cylinder compression decay test needs to be performed for this. Basically 60psi for 15mins would do it.
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/car-repair/fuel-system/how-to-check-an-engines-cylinder-compression/

This is typically how fuel can get into the crankcase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The previous owner was the source of info about fuel in the crankcase oil. I drained all the fuel, changed the fuel filter and put in fresh diesel. I also drained the oil, changed the filter and added fresh oil. I have operated the tractor for 5 + hours and there has been no change in oil level. I'll continue to watch the level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts