My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys-

I`ve been looking for a small tractor to do yard chores. I came across this a few miles away from my home. It`s a 1986 186D or 187D. 990 hrs. Tried it out in the owner`s driveway. Motor sounds and runs well with no smoke other than the typical few seconds when started. Shifts and runs smoothly. Hydraulics work smoothly with no leaks. Has a fairly new bucket. Appears to have been reasonably taken care of. The PO has owned it for 14 yrs. I know the guy as I had him do the wiring when I did a remodeling. Seems like a pretty straight shooter. Has all the manuals. Was last serviced two years or about 40 hrs. ago.The only downside is that the tires are getting weathercracked and the left brake pedal has to be pushed very deep to get the brake to work. Rt. side is fine. No other attechments other than bucket and 3pt.hitch. Is this a Cat 0 or !?

He`s asking $4800. Is this great, reasonable, or overpriced?

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Category 1. I would think that is a fair price with the tractor in good condition. All the manuals probably worth $200. Those weathercracked tires will probably last for years.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Category 1. I would think that is a fair price with the tractor in good condition. All the manuals probably worth $200. Those weathercracked tires will probably last for years.
Thanks for the input. I've seen comparable sized Kubotas in the area for much more money that were in rough shape.
It has manual steering, but it's not going to be used daily so I don`t think that will be too much of an issue.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
That looks like a 186 from your pictures (cat 1) . Based on your description of the condition I would say thats a pretty good price . I paid $3500 for mine with a Bush Hog finishing mower .

Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a 186, I think, as mentioned. The Powershift controls are on the transmission housing, which apparently was a trait of only the early 186 models. The 187 replaced it, and had the Powershift controls on the left side of the steering column.

The price seems reasonable to me, especially if comparable units from other manufacturers are selling for higher prices. The brakes should be adjustable with reasonable effort to function properly. There is a slack adjuster on the linkage, and the shoes can be reverse and swapped front to rear if needed, or as a last resort replaced/relined.

Mine is a good little tractor. The Powershift is markedly superior to a regular transmission, and would be be much nicer for loader work, but it's not as handy as a hydrostatic transmission is for mowing or running a loader.

Heavy ballast, like a good box blade or something, will reduce steering effort and save wear and tear on front end components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The YM186(D) was produced for four years, from early 1980 thru 1983. This is a 1980 model as the first six months of 1980 is the only time the PowerShift was mounted on top of the trans.
It probably has 1990 hours on is as the tires have been replaced at least once already.
Even considering all this, I think $4800 is a very good price as the 186 is a great little tractor.

·
Enjoying Life!
37 Posts
You may have already bought the tractor....I have a 186D....great little tractor....price seems right on.....good luck.

·
Whiskey
26 Posts
As said before, it's a 186D. The pic attached is a YM187, it's the tractor that replaced the 186 (D)

You can always up grade the rear rubber to some muddin' tires!...lol

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts