My Tractor Forum banner

XT3GSX Fabricated Deck Spindles

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mudyapster 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows or has any idea how long the heavy duty Fabricated deck spindles will actually last if kept greased like Cub says to. I grease my spindles almost ever time before mowing but I mow a lot like 7 to 8 acres at a time which is why I have a 60" Fabricated deck.
Now I have just had to replace the deck wheel bushings even with the constant greasing but I can see those wearing out since all the dirt they see and no sealed bearings only bushings for bearings. The fab decks have some nice heavy duty spindles that look superior to other Cub deck spindle on lesser models so I'm curious as to there longevity. I have over 200 hrs already on my XT3GSX and atleast 175 hrs of that is mowing. Has anyone had to replace or rebuild one of these heavy duty spindles?
Any thoughts on these fab deck spindles and please no responses to lesser model deck spindles only respond to Cub's Fabricated deck spindles please since I know the quality of lesser decks.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows or has any idea how long the heavy duty Fabricated deck spindles will actually last if kept greased like Cub says to. I grease my spindles almost ever time before mowing but I mow a lot like 7 to 8 acres at a time which is why I have a 60" Fabricated deck.
Now I have just had to replace the deck wheel bushings even with the constant greasing but I can see those wearing out since all the dirt they see and no sealed bearings only bushings for bearings. The fab decks have some nice heavy duty spindles that look superior to other Cub deck spindle on lesser models so I'm curious as to there longevity. I have over 200 hrs already on my XT3GSX and atleast 175 hrs of that is mowing. Has anyone had to replace or rebuild one of these heavy duty spindles?
Any thoughts on these fab deck spindles and please no responses to lesser model deck spindles only respond to Cub's Fabricated deck spindles please since I know the quality of lesser decks.
Thanks in advance.
Don, your 60" spindles are different than my 54" fab deck spindles. I don't know if any other deck uses your spindles but dang, they are expensive. $140 each on PT.

#3 ·
Yes Sir they are expensive to replace that is another reason I was asking about the longevity of them. I wonder if I could rebuilt one when it goes bad. Seals and bearings are no big deal for me to abtain. I grease the crap out of mine usually taking 12 to 15 pumps from my grease gun per spindle for the grease to show up coming from the lower bearing. These bearings in them don't appear to be sealed from the elements on the bottom where the blades are.

#4 ·
You probably can just replace the bearings in it, it may take some figuring out how to get it apart. For my Gravely ZT, my dad figured out the center part was just a big custom shaped nut & bolt, with red loctite on it to hold it together and make it that much more difficult to replace.

Now, I've replaced the bearings in all 3 deck spindles several times, each time for less than 1/2 the cost of a single spindle from Gravely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.