My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mowed my 2 acres last night. Initially had the seat angle in the hole that put the front at an upward angle and it was too high. Lowered it to the next lower setting and that put the seat down too much at the front.

Pulled it in the shop and drilled thru one of the other holes putting a new position adjustment on it to level the seat. This put the seat ~1" higher than the factory seat--1/2" if subtracting the 1/2" plywood base.

It took a lot of sting out of mowing my bumpy yard. The cushions on this seat are firm but the suspension definitely let me speed up w/o taking a beating. Not perfect but an improvement over stock.

I'd like to mow several times to judge it before giving it a glowing review.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
At the very least, Steve Urquell, you have some adjustments you can make. The rest of us can only move the seat forward or back and that's it.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
At the very least, Steve Urquell, you have some adjustments you can make. The rest of us can only move the seat forward or back and that's it.
Yeah I was thinking about that. Fwd, back, angle, as well as spring tension for the suspension. Still playing with that as well

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Atwoods has a tractor suspension seat on sale I think thru tomorrow for $69.

https://www.atwoods.com/concentric-universal-tractor-seat-with-adjustable-suspension.html

I bought one today and started mounting it on my XT3. The base is narrower than the mounting holes so brackets need to be made to fit. I did it from a piece of 3/16"x1.5" flat plate with (4) 7/16" bolts welded flush with the bottom which stick up thru the seat base and attach with nuts and lock washers. It could also be done w/o a welder by using countersunk socket-head bolts.

I didn't check fitment until I got the brackets welded up. Test mounted it and realized that I was gonna have to redo it cuz the seat is too far forward even with the seat slid all the way back. No big deal and I'll fix it tomorrow.

It is pitch black outside but I took it for a joyride anyways. This thing really works. I adjusted the springs via a knob on the seat back to ~ 70kilos. The seat lowered ~1" when I sat on it. Took it across my rough field that will throw me off the seat unless I crawl across it. In the roughest spot I hit it at full speed and the seat lowered me ~3" but did not feel like it bottomed out and it wasn't as rough as if I went across it at 1/4 of that speed.

This thing is really gonna be a game changer after I get the brackets moved back. I mow 2 acres of rough field and it's been beating me to death. Love it so far.
That is a cool looking seat!
Nice job, I'm sure you will be a lot more comfy now.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you sir. It definitely softens the straight on bumps. Most noticable when your rear tires bottom out in a hole. Seat lowers you down 2-3" rather than jarring you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thank you sir. It definitely softens the straight on bumps. Most noticable when your rear tires bottom out in a hole. Seat lowers you down 2-3" rather than jarring you.
Sounds like it works kinda like my big JD air ride seat. My pasture is a little rough and I wish I could find a nice heavy duty used landscape roller, like a 1000# plus roller. I could roll my big pasture and my big front yard a few times during the wet winter months and the place would really smooth out. I know I could buy a new one but those heavy duty sucks aren't cheap.
Anyway that seat looks real comfortable for rough terrain. I have my tires aired to 10# and that's fairly smooth for my yard and I may try 8#s next. Did you get your remodel all done?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds like it works kinda like my big JD air ride seat. My pasture is a little rough and I wish I could find a nice heavy duty used landscape roller, like a 1000# plus roller. I could roll my big pasture and my big front yard a few times during the wet winter months and the place would really smooth out. I know I could buy a new one but those heavy duty sucks aren't cheap.
Anyway that seat looks real comfortable for rough terrain. I have my tires aired to 10# and that's fairly smooth for my yard and I may try 8#s next. Did you get your remodel all done?
Yeah I'd like to smooth my place out. Don't think a million lb roller would push my boulders down though. I plan to get a load of fill dirt when I get my front bucket done and fill the low spots.

Still have a few things to do on the place. Fighting a bad neck crick this weekend. I swear, get my back under control and pain finds another place. Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah I'd like to smooth my place out. Don't think a million lb roller would push my boulders down though. I plan to get a load of fill dirt when I get my front bucket done and fill the low spots.

Still have a few things to do on the place. Fighting a bad neck crick this weekend. I swear, get my back under control and pain finds another place. Sheesh!
Sorry about your neck, my hip has a kink in it after washing and waxing my 43' RV off a 8' ladder. Took me 18 hrs over a 4 day period to do that job and I still have to clean the 6 wheels and tires and wax the back toy hauler garage ramp. Going to do that this morning. Since Rhonda hurt her back over a year half ago we haven't been able to go camping. I'm taking her and the dog for a 4 day camping trip next Friday. The RV is looking good I'm excited about going.
I also been mowing in between the RV cleaning and had to replace a yoke and u-joint on my big hay shreddar. I've been a busy dude over the last week and a half. My hip is feeling it! I'm glad the inside of the RV stays clean. Just need to put the food in it come Wednesday.
My Cub is doing great though and it's almost like taking a break from all the work when I mow. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice job on the seat and all the other goodies you put on there.
Thanks. I feel like I've got this thing about where I want it now. I may build a steel base for this seat sometime in the future if the wood doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
3 more pics.

I took a piece of 1/2" plywood 3"x12" on the seat sticking forward, sat on the plywood and seat and measured the height from the fenders where the seat mounts. 9.5" to the top of the seat cushion. I think I got 9" to the top of the factory seat cushion.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up the same seat (for $30 more) about a month ago from Tractor Supply, to put on the 3225 that I acquired not so long ago ( mentioned in reply to cc-3000-series-fast-forward-reverse.html). I've used a seat suspension adapter on my Massey Ferguson 2924D (a rebadged Simplicity Legacy) in the past six months and it helped plenty, but the 3225 really needed a new seat - and a suspension, 'cause it takes the bumps HARD.

The tractor-style suspension seat at Tractor Supply cost half of what both pieces would have together, and has a lot more suspension. The only problems: The new seat is so much taller than the old one, the seat base had to come out with the seat. And, the 3225 has a big hole over the hydro pump between the mounting holes in the seat pan. And, the base of the new seat is much narrower than the old one, so some new mounting had to be found. I really didn't have time to engineer and build the new mount, so I let the problem stew in the back of my mind and carried on. Then I read Mr. Urquell's post, and looked at the spare block of 1/2" plywood sitting on top of shelf in the garage.

Down came the plywood - just the right length and width - and I cut the back edges into a 1/2 circle to fit the fender pan. Drilled some seat and frame-mounting holes, sprayed it up with bedliner and slapped it on. Then I pulled it right back off and drilled new holes for the seat because it was too far forward. To make it fit, I had to have the seat overhanging the back of the seat pan - much better.

I'll see how well it works soon, then replace the plywood with a steel solution when I have more time. Here's the pix (unsure why the thumbnails load up sideways when the pix themselves are correct):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I picked up the same seat (for $30 more) about a month ago from Tractor Supply, to put on the 3225 that I acquired not so long ago ( mentioned in reply to cc-3000-series-fast-forward-reverse.html). I've used a seat suspension adapter on my Massey Ferguson 2924D (a rebadged Simplicity Legacy) in the past six months and it helped plenty, but the 3225 really needed a new seat - and a suspension, 'cause it takes the bumps HARD.

The tractor-style suspension seat at Tractor Supply cost half of what both pieces would have together, and has a lot more suspension. The only problems: The new seat is so much taller than the old one, the seat base had to come out with the seat. And, the 3225 has a big hole over the hydro pump between the mounting holes in the seat pan. And, the base of the new seat is much narrower than the old one, so some new mounting had to be found. I really didn't have time to engineer and build the new mount, so I let the problem stew in the back of my mind and carried on. Then I read Mr. Urquell's post, and looked at the spare block of 1/2" plywood sitting on top of shelf in the garage.

Down came the plywood - just the right length and width - and I cut the back edges into a 1/2 circle to fit the fender pan. Drilled some seat and frame-mounting holes, sprayed it up with bedliner and slapped it on. Then I pulled it right back off and drilled new holes for the seat because it was too far forward. To make it fit, I had to have the seat overhanging the back of the seat pan - much better.

I'll see how well it works soon, then replace the plywood with a steel solution when I have more time. Here's the pix (unsure why the thumbnails load up sideways when the pix themselves are correct):
Ha! That's awesome, looks great. Glad to be of help with it.

To make the seat suspension work well give it a good spray with some PTFE dry lube on the back where it moves up and down and on all the pivot points.

Mine didn't move up and down very smoothly until I lubed it and then it was great.
I like WD-40s PTFE spray lube but also use PB's although it leaves a white film when it dries. Either won't accumulate dirt.

The forum software will only post pics upright if they are taken with the bottom of your phone rotated to the right/home button to the right.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I mounted my XT3 seat on the 3240 seat base/toolbox. It has softer springs than the XT3 did and rides a bit softer.

I took the XT3 down my field today with the suspension seat but later went down the same path with the 3240.

I can say with authority that the suspension seat is much better than the factory seat. You get jolted at the front hinge on the factory seat where my suspension seat sinks down and absorbs the shock loads. Huge difference.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That seat looks nice. Glad it is working to help the blows from the terrain you have.
Today was an eye opener as I did the same route back to back on different GTs.

Ride down on the XT3 was nice and smooth then fillings shaken out on the 3240--even with the softer springs. The jolt comes from the solid hinge mount at the front.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts