My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atwoods has a tractor suspension seat on sale I think thru tomorrow for $69.

https://www.atwoods.com/concentric-universal-tractor-seat-with-adjustable-suspension.html

I bought one today and started mounting it on my XT3. The base is narrower than the mounting holes so brackets need to be made to fit. I did it from a piece of 3/16"x1.5" flat plate with (4) 7/16" bolts welded flush with the bottom which stick up thru the seat base and attach with nuts and lock washers. It could also be done w/o a welder by using countersunk socket-head bolts.

I didn't check fitment until I got the brackets welded up. Test mounted it and realized that I was gonna have to redo it cuz the seat is too far forward even with the seat slid all the way back. No big deal and I'll fix it tomorrow.

It is pitch black outside but I took it for a joyride anyways. This thing really works. I adjusted the springs via a knob on the seat back to ~ 70kilos. The seat lowered ~1" when I sat on it. Took it across my rough field that will throw me off the seat unless I crawl across it. In the roughest spot I hit it at full speed and the seat lowered me ~3" but did not feel like it bottomed out and it wasn't as rough as if I went across it at 1/4 of that speed.

This thing is really gonna be a game changer after I get the brackets moved back. I mow 2 acres of rough field and it's been beating me to death. Love it so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sacrilege!! Why can't you just simply believe that the manufacturer knows what's best for everyone? You just have to keep messin' around.

Looks nice, Steve Urquell. Suspension seats do have many benefits over the stock seats. Appears that it cradles the body more than just being a padded platform.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sacrilege!! Why can't you just simply believe that the manufacturer knows what's best for everyone? You just have to keep messin' around.

Looks nice, Steve Urquell. Suspension seats do have many benefits over the stock seats. Appears that it cradles the body more than just being a padded platform.
It definitely is gonna smooth out the bumps. It has an angle adjustment as well which tilts the bottom and back. I tilted it back some after I took the pics. I'll update after a mowing session with it.

The area I took it across last night was an area that rain erodes and a feral hog rooted up. If I don't slow to a crawl my rear will be off the seat and it shakes my fillings out. This seat just compressed down and smoothed it out. Impressed.
It looks like it was made for that tractor, nice job Steve!!
Thank you sir. Still need to play with the mounts but it will be solid here in a little bit. I figure this thing will be better all around. No upward bend in the vinyl from the bottom to back cushion to crack over time. Also it may breathe a bit better/be cooler with the air space between back and bottom cushions

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Looks good and I'm sure it's more comfortable. You know when I was at the Cub cadet dealer a few weeks ago, I was looking at an XT3 and I thought the seat was kinda stiff and uncomfortable for such an expensive tractor. Looks like you found a nice solution.

·
Parts collector
3,153 Posts
Looks great. Sounds like it works great too. I have a suspension seat on my 332 that is very sloppy and needs redone but it is SOOOOOOOO much nicer than the spring mounted seat.

I'm going to rebuild the hinge pins on it as they have lots of slop in them. I may put lighter springs in it too since my 170# body doesn't move the springs too well. :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely looks like a nice seat for the money. Sure couldn't beat the price..!
I've been looking at these for awhile. Heck, this thing was cheaper than a non-suspension seat.

Looks good and I'm sure it's more comfortable. You know when I was at the Cub cadet dealer a few weeks ago, I was looking at an XT3 and I thought the seat was kinda stiff and uncomfortable for such an expensive tractor. Looks like you found a nice solution.
I didn't have a problem with the actual seat but the springs are too short and stiff. Thing beat me up mowing my fields. The XT3 seat will go on my 3240 as it is more black duct tape than seat.

Looks great. Sounds like it works great too. I have a suspension seat on my 332 that is very sloppy and needs redone but it is SOOOOOOOO much nicer than the spring mounted seat.

I'm going to rebuild the hinge pins on it as they have lots of slop in them. I may put lighter springs in it too since my 170# body doesn't move the springs too well.
I'm glad this one has adjustable spring tension on it. Knob on the top of the seatback. Check out Atwoods if you have one. They have bins full of bronze flange bushings in all different sizes.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my mounting brackets put the seat too far forward. They also put a lot of stress in a small area of the seat base and seat pan on the tractor. Also the factory seat slides bolt thru the top of the tractor frame and don't stress the sheetmetal of the seatpan/fenders.

I didnt want problems with either on down the bouncy road so I started over. If I had had a piece of 1/8" steel plate I would have built a base with studs welded in it.

In lieu of that I built one out of 1/2" plywood with 3/8" carriage bolts flush with the bottom of it that will go thru the new seat base and also reach the framerails of the tractor.

Fits fine and moved the seat back 5". I will install it in a day or 2 after the paint is good and dry and post up some pics. It aint perfect but if it gives me trouble I'll replicate it in 1/8" steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've seen that seat at my local tractor supply. Didnt buy one, cause they are 119$.
You got a great deal.

Does that seat have a height adjustment also?
It looks to be pretty high above the seat pan.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice seat steve
Thank you sir.

I've seen that seat at my local tractor supply. Didnt buy one, cause they are 119$.
You got a great deal.

Does that seat have a height adjustment also?
It looks to be pretty high above the seat pan.
It has an angle adjustment on the rear that tilts the whole seat back by taking out the bolts and tilting it to another hole. This raises the front of the seat quite a bit. I have it at the second to lowest hole in the pics. I feel it's too tilted back and may drill thru one of the other holes to make an in-between tilt setting.

For my application the top of the factory seat cushion was 9" above the seatpan. The new seat sat at 10" but it is a suspension seat and compresses down with your weight so it was near to exact at 9". It's ~10.5" compressed with the seat tilted like it is in the pics, 12.5" w/o me sitting on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put a piece of tape on then cut it to show compressed height. If it bottoms out on me all I have to do is turn the knob on top of the seatback to add spring tension to the suspension. This thing really loosened up after liberal spraying with dry teflon lube last night. Much easier to bounce it than when I first tried it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Ya know, Steve Urquell, it's not so much the tilt back of everything, it is how you have such a cantilevered design to it all. The base plate has to be solidly mounted to the frame and strong enough to withstand the forces acting on it from many angles. Just a thought.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great job on the seat. If it saves some of the jolting around, well worth it.
By the way, is that a winch I see mounted behind the tractor? Can you tell me if you use it much and what do you do with it? Just curious as I've been thinking of same for my X500. Just not sure what I can use it for to justify the cost.
Thanks for all the pics too.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Steve.
Ride height looks good in the pic.
It's a little higher than stock with the seat tilted back like it is now. I'm gonna tilt it back forward and see if it suits me better. With the new base I was able to actually slide the seat forward a bit to fit me. I'm 5' 8" with 31" inseam.

Great job on the seat. If it saves some of the jolting around, well worth it.
By the way, is that a winch I see mounted behind the tractor? Can you tell me if you use it much and what do you do with it? Just curious as I've been thinking of same for my X500. Just not sure what I can use it for to justify the cost.
Thanks for all the pics too.
It is a winch and I use it all the time--to lift the sleeve hitch it's attached to. I fabbed a 2" receiver hitch mounted sleeve hitch lifted by a HF 2500lb winch. It is convertible to be used as a receiver hitch or tow tab, winch, or sleeve hitch. I've lifted 300+lbs with it easily and also built a set of forklift forks that I use on it.

To be honest I've never used it in any other way than as a sleeve hitch. So much for the transformer aspect of it. :tango_face_grin:

Here's my build thread. https://www.mytractorforum.com/19-cub-cadet-forum/1306007-built-winch-lift-receiver-sleeve-hitch-my-xt3.html

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Steve,
Wow, thanks for the extra pics of the sleeve hitch and winch set up. Now you have me thinking again....a dangerous situation....my X500 would really look good with that kind of arrangement,....and a box blade!! Oh my, I've got to get a cold drink....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you delete the operator present seat switch?
I looked at a suspension seat but there wasn't a provision for seat switch.
I want the engine and deck blades to shut off in an unexpected event where I come out of the seat.
Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you delete the operator present seat switch?
I looked at a suspension seat but there wasn't a provision for seat switch.
I want the engine and deck blades to shut off in an unexpected event where I come out of the seat.
Just my .02 cents
Depending on what type of switch you have it can go back on. Mine fits into the seatpan bottom and only needs the right sized/shaped hole cut. Some have a pad that goes under the vinyl and can be put back in by pulling the seat trim off and put under the vinyl.

Those ones that rely on the factory hinge action of the seat would need to have a modified bracket as this seat has a different amount of travel but I think they could also be fitted back on after you figured out how much the seat dropped down with your weight.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts