My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've gotten the XT3 GSX, I found out that it is a dust magnet. It is an absolute must to clean the air filter immediately after each mow as I've discovered that sometimes it won't restart until I do.

Just for giggles, I thought about seeing just how much dust the air filter captures by weighing the foam prefilter and the filter after each mow and again after both filters have been cleaned with 90 psi compressed air.

It's been pretty dry here lately, so today when I mowed, it was quite dusty. So much that I had to pause every so often to let the wind clear the dust clouds so that I could see where I was going. I have the round air filter and the foam prefilter wraps around it. The filters together weigh 170 grams (6 ounces) when new & clean. After mowing today, I found that the filters had collected 94 grams (3.3 ounces) of dust.

·
Super Moderator
42,406 Posts
I'll bet @Steve Urquell XT3 can catch 4 grams of dust! Who's going to hold the money and what are the odds? MTF online gaming is born! 😁

·
Super Moderator
42,406 Posts
Why is it that the "green" guys are always trying to pit the yellow guys against each other?

Bill
Was a slow day on the JD forum! Hey, we won't even penalize Randy for wearing his new helmet either.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's almost a quarter pound of dust collected in the air filter. I likely blew much more off the tractor (and myself) before putting it away.

Reactions: Kawasaki Old Man

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,733 Posts
You might consider either cleaning the filter mid-mow or even installng a bigger filter system. I've damaged a couple motors from the filters getting plugged with dirt (mainly during spring cleanup) and swapped in Donaldson cannister filter setups, which can handle a lot more dirt (relative to the oem filter setup)...

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, it only took 2 hours to mulch mow the 1.25 acres I have here in northern Florida. I credit that to the dry conditions where the grass (weeds) haven't grown much from a week ago and to the new suspension seat. Before the new seat, at almost any speed around the yard felt like I was going to get thrown, the new suspension seat allows for a faster speed comfortably. Still I think that almost a quarter pound of dust in 2 hours is a bit excessive.

5,777 Posts
I 'm surprised how fast you can cut the grass. I never really timed it but it takes me an hour and a half for a little over a half acre. I bag the clippings and dump them around the trees. I probably go only 2 mph.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Today, it only took 2 hours to mulch mow the 1.25 acres I have here in northern Florida. I credit that to the dry conditions where the grass (weeds) haven't grown much from a week ago and to the new suspension seat. Before the new seat, at almost any speed around the yard felt like I was going to get thrown, the new suspension seat allows for a faster speed comfortably. Still I think that almost a quarter pound of dust in 2 hours is a bit excessive.
Really? It took you 2 hrs for 1.25 acres
I Only Mow 2.2 acres twice a week and the 1.7 acre field In the Back left corner once a Month Takes me 2.5 Hrs if I trim with the XT3 GSX on the Main 2.2acres. Now it's down to 2hrs with Trimming On My SX54 Z-force on the 2.2 acres and I have the Lazy Mans Trimmer now Z-Trimmer | PECO Lawnvac (y)
Plant Building Tree House Land lot

·
Registered
598 Posts
We use a leaf blower and I'm persnickety about cleaning the filter. I have multiple to interchange and wash the prefilter. And I discard the paper element twice a year or more if I'm concerned (I usually am).

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use a wheeled string trimmer for the areas that are too small or sloped too greatly and around trees. That takes around 1.5 hours. I separate that from the actual mowing as it is usually done the day before. It's a real workout especially on the sloped areas near the creek embankment and the ditch (I do the right of way, too). The property had been allowed to grow wild for over 10 years except for around the house. I cleared the property with the intention of long straight lines since the first few years it was done with a push mower. The longer lines in the picture are roughly 350 feet long. Still, not too bad for paying $20,000 cash for it in 2015.

Property Slope Land lot Terrestrial plant Map

·
Super Moderator
42,406 Posts
Really? It took you 2 hrs for 1.25 acres
I Only Mow 2.2 acres twice a week and the 1.7 acre field In the Back left corner once a Month Takes me 2.5 Hrs if I trim with the XT3 GSX on the Main 2.2acres. Now it's down to 2hrs with Trimming On My SX54 Z-force on the 2.2 acres and I have the Lazy Mans Trimmer now Z-Trimmer | PECO Lawnvac (y)
View attachment 2550135
Beautiful piece of property there Sergeant!

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Beautiful piece of property there Sergeant!
I miss the Old Place 5.5 acre all connected have to Go On My neighbors Property to access the Back 1.7 acres But the Last 20 ft of our properties is a right away do to the horse Trail. I really miss out last Place as we had a creek going through it (y)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sergeant, that is one interesting attachment! Can see it working IF the edges being trimmed are all right next to the areas being mowed.

I use the wheeled string trimmer in areas that are either unsafe or hard to reach with the XT3 GSX. Like on the sloped embankment for the creek bridge.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Sergeant, that is one interesting attachment! Can see it working IF the edges being trimmed are all right next to the areas being mowed.

I use the wheeled string trimmer in areas that are either unsafe or hard to reach with the XT3 GSX. Like on the sloped embankment for the creek bridge.
I even have a DR walk Behind and a Swisher self-propelled walk Behind Trimmer(1 speed and way too fast to trim with) so I bought a Non-self-Propelled DR Last year. Had I paid attention I would Have Bought the Self Propelled DR as It has a Variable speed. Had an Ariens Walk Behind trimmer about 6 years ago, Gave it to a friend when I bought the Swisher should Have Kept the Ariens Because It could Be angled Left and right about 15 degrees I also Have this https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/professional-trimmers/fs111/ But even with the commercial double shoulder Harness it Bothers My Back if I do all the trimming with it (y)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had one of those wheeled string trimmers that could be angled. It was of limited use as I have no paved areas on my property nor anywhere it could really be used. The engine died on it and I couldn't get parts, the local small engine guys couldn't get parts either and it ended up in the metal trash pile. My current wheeled string trimmer is an Earthquake M205 4-cycle 2 wheeled beast that uses 0.155 inch thick line. It gets used at severe angles and never complains. Had the same problem with the Husqvarna string trimmer in that it just killed my back, harness or not. It is seldom used, but I have an extension for it along with the chain saw attachment and they get used.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
I had one of those wheeled string trimmers that could be angled. It was of limited use as I have no paved areas on my property nor anywhere it could really be used. The engine died on it and I couldn't get parts, the local small engine guys couldn't get parts either and it ended up in the metal trash pile. My current wheeled string trimmer is an Earthquake M205 4-cycle 2 wheeled beast that uses 0.155 inch thick line. It gets used at severe angles and never complains. Had the same problem with the Husqvarna string trimmer in that it just killed my back, harness or not. It is seldom used, but I have an extension for it along with the chain saw attachment and they get used.
This is the DR I have Trimmer Mower: 7.25 Briggs and Stratton manual start (string trimmer) | DR Power Equipment with this head DR Quick-Lock™ Trimmer Head | DR Power Equipment on it (y)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, basically the same as what I have, though a touch more expensive. But they do work well, especially in difficult areas. Mine has started every time I needed it, even when left outdoors for extended time. The only real complaint I have is that you have to take off the wheel to get to the air filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts