My Tractor Forum banner

601 - 620 of 684 Posts
2,239 Posts
This dealership is a full line Cub, Stihl and also carries a couple other brands of ztrs but they are sure building a strong clientele. When they delivered my 2166 the driver had a brand new Cub LT on his trailer being delivered to another town 18 miles north of me.
Not sure if he would have charged more if it had only taken an hour or so, but yeah $210.00 for 6 hrs. and all the engine tasks they performed was a bargain to me. Of course I couldn't have performed most of them anyway.

A year or so ago maybe longer I was talking to a friend who retired from the owner that now has the local JD dealership and he said back then they got $85.00/hr. labor. No telling what it i now.
I had a stud break off one of my wheels on my Jeep. The car dealer charged me $180 an hour labor, $8 for the stud and $2 for the lug nut.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Not exactly sure why we are astonished at the labor rates for repair work done. It a certainty that one will pay much more in areas of the country with higher population density. The labor rate is NOT solely the pay scale of the person doing the work. It includes everything the owner of the company is charged for including taxes on the worker, the taxes on the property, the rent of the building, the electric bill, the gas bill, the city surcharges and everything else.
Areas of the country that have less population density, such as where rudedawg lives, will be much less expensive. One of the main reasons I moved to where I am now is the much lower cost of living than the urban areas I was in before.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Not exactly sure why we are astonished at the labor rates for repair work done. It a certainty that one will pay much more in areas of the country with higher population density. The labor rate is NOT solely the pay scale of the person doing the work. It includes everything the owner of the company is charged for including taxes on the worker, the taxes on the property, the rent of the building, the electric bill, the gas bill, the city surcharges and everything else.
Areas of the country that have less population density, such as where rudedawg lives, will be much less expensive. One of the main reasons I moved to where I am now is the much lower cost of living than the urban areas I was in before.
I feel like it's harder for those of us that are used to doing our own work with only the parts cost evident and our labor is free.

I recently paid $350 to have a leaky pipe fixed in my crawlspace. I could have done it for $10 in PVC parts but it was a belly crawl over rocky ground, over a stump, and with less than 20" between the floor joists and ground.

I would rather have paid the $10 for parts but was willing to pay extra to NOT have to suffer the physical toll on the body for the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
.....The labor rate is NOT solely the pay scale of the person doing the work. It includes everything the owner of the company is charged for including taxes on the worker, the taxes on the property, the rent of the building, the electric bill, the gas bill, the city surcharges and everything else.
Yup that's it.

Areas of the country that have less population density, such as where rudedawg lives, will be much less expensive.

I can drive 17 miles and hit populations of 18k or 50 miles to 50k where I was born & raised for half my life.
I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel to be living back in a larger city even if it's only 20k; give me the peace, quiet and no congested traffic of our small rural town of only 1350 for sure.
Plus the fact we be po-folks down here:sidelaugh

·
That Guy
1,039 Posts
Maine is a rural state with a rather high cost of living, but I pay my the shop that works on my truck $40/h. I had the dealer work on the Cub before, but I guess I never actually looked at the cost of labor. This bill, for as little work was actually done, threw me off- so I looked at the breakdown and was shocked. I don't blame them for charging that much, I blame myself for never looking at the cost breakdown in the past. I feel foolish for paying so much for something I could do myself.

·
That Guy
1,039 Posts
Today the Cub Cadet got a little time in the sun, along with it's old friend the lawn cart. A friend came over and together we got my plants situated in some over-sized planters. The lawn cart was definitely loaded down, between the soil-compost mixture, rocks, tools, and the planters; the XT3 pulled it along with seemingly no effort.

It was nice to play in the dirt. :ROF

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,386 Posts
This dealership is a full line Cub, Stihl and also carries a couple other brands of ztrs but they are sure building a strong clientele. When they delivered my 2166 the driver had a brand new Cub LT on his trailer being delivered to another town 18 miles north of me.
Not sure if he would have charged more if it had only taken an hour or so, but yeah $210.00 for 6 hrs. and all the engine tasks they performed was a bargain to me. Of course I couldn't have performed most of them anyway.

A year or so ago maybe longer I was talking to a friend who retired from the owner that now has the local JD dealership and he said back then they got $85.00/hr. labor. No telling what it i now.
wish Labor was that cheap Up here at $35hr

I Think the Deere dealer Up here is $88Hr the Construction Deere dealers are $125Hr and $44 of that is to the mechanic Because there all Union shops In IL and Indiana or the Construction companies won't Buy from them so the Construction Deere dealer Shops have to be Union except for Parts and Sales:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
ChuckT, that should be interesting to see what the rates are down by you in that congested part of the state. I've got a string trimmer in the shop that I will get on Friday and we can compare.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,386 Posts
Cost of living where My Deere dealer is is actually very Low Small Farm town But there Labor rate is high compared to the Kubota/ Cub Cadet dealer In the same town The Last Owners of the Deere dealer charged about $29 dollars Less and Hr for Labor. But I know some Other outdoor Power equipment Places that Only charge about $5 dollars More an Hour then rudedawg and that dealer Is In a Heavily Populated area Considered Chicagoland . Now the current Owners of My Deere dealer do own 4 dealerships. But even when they owned 2 dealerships Many Farmers would travel elsewhere for service because they were More expensive then everyone else. But Now that they Now own two competitor dealerships the One I go to and another One. Farmers don't Have to Much of a choice Unless they want to drive 40 to 60minutes to Burlington, WI or Dekalb, IL Because the Other Deere dealership is almost as expensive On the Labor rates and they own 17 dealerships In IL & Indiana Plus the online Green Parts Store. But since I am a Long time customer and occasional employee and I know Many of the Employees outside of the dealership My Deere dealership gives me a break On Labor and the cost of new equipment :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
To you boys getting stuck. Here's why I'm always talking up my ATV tires. That second pic doesnt show that that is 14" of gravel nearly straight up. It drops nearly 90deg straight down and slopes into my drain on the other side.

I don't get stuck at all in any condition and do not have a diff lock on my GSE. I went up 2" front and rear in size. 18.5×6.5-8s up front and 24x10-12s in the rear. The factory turfs were actually 21.75" tall.

I feel like the fronts make a huge difference in how this thing approaches holes and inclines and it lets the deck float rather than dragging.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to this forum and I was pleased to see a lot of activity on the XT3 series. I purchased my XT3 in April of 2018 and haven't regretted it at all. I have a very steep driveway and washouts are frequent and annoying. I soon realized I needed a machine capable of moving stone up and down the driveway without the fear of slipping a belt or blowing out a transaxle. The XT3 with the cast iron rear and diff lock was the only choice for a decent price. The JD X700's are too much $$ and the 500 series I thought are too expensive for the tranny that is used in it. Since then, I've move around lots of stone, pulled up an old stump, relocated an old tractor tire too big to move my hand, and of course the typical mowing chores with the 48" fab deck. And yes, the head lights fill up with junk and there's no gas gauge, but I really don't care much about those things. What matters to me are the components behind the engine and what steers the tractor and those components are very stout as they should be for a garden tractor. The rear axle is 30mm, the front spindles are 1" with bearings, large beefy steering mechanism that actually turns very sharp, unlike the old Ross unit in CC 73. For the price, nothing compares. Oh, best of all, I don't need an App to managed it and change the oil!!

I grew up with a CC 73 my dad purchased from my Uncle who was a IH dealer and we used it for years doing many chores. I later purchased my own CC 2130 in the early 90's. I really liked that machine and wish I still had it. I always thought is was a nice mix of features for a lawn tractor.

Pictures are the my dealer delivering my XT3, box scraping with the Cub Hauler in the background, a picture showing the business end of the tractor from the static unit at my dealer and making my deer plot bed.

By the way, how do you rotate pictures in the forum?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
New to this forum and I was pleased to see a lot of activity on the XT3 series. I purchased my XT3 in April of 2018 and haven't regretted it at all. I have a very steep driveway and washouts are frequent and annoying. I soon realized I needed a machine capable of moving stone up and down the driveway without the fear of slipping a belt or blowing out a transaxle. The XT3 with the cast iron rear and diff lock was the only choice for a decent price. The JD X700's are too much $$ and the 500 series I thought are too expensive for the tranny that is used in it. Since then, I've move around lots of stone, pulled up an old stump, relocated an old tractor tire too big to move my hand, and of course the typical mowing chores with the 48" fab deck. And yes, the head lights fill up with junk and there's no gas gauge, but I really don't care much about those things. What matters to me are the components behind the engine and what steers the tractor and those components are very stout as they should be for a garden tractor. The rear axle is 30mm, the front spindles are 1" with bearings, large beefy steering mechanism that actually turns very sharp, unlike the old Ross unit in CC 73. For the price, nothing compares. Oh, best of all, I don't need an App to managed it and change the oil!!

I grew up with a CC 73 my dad purchased from my Uncle who was a IH dealer and we used it for years doing many chores. I later purchased my own CC 2130 in the early 90's. I really liked that machine and wish I still had it. I always thought is was a nice mix of features for a lawn tractor.

Pictures are the my dealer delivering my XT3, box scraping with the Cub Hauler in the background, a picture showing the business end of the tractor from the static unit at my dealer and making my deer plot bed.

By the way, how do you rotate pictures in the forum?
Welcome! Great to have another XT3 owner on board. Rotating pics is impossible unless you save them to a desktop computer, rotate and save, then reload. When you take pics with your phone turn the bottom of the phone(home button) to the right and the pics will load upright.

I feel the same way about the XT3 as you. While I think the JDs K72 is a fine hydro, I like the shaft drive and iron diff on the XT3 as well as the extra 200lbs of weight it carries.

If Cub had put the BDU-21 with auxillary hydraulic circuits in the XT3 I think it would be the best GT on the market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome! Great to have another XT3 owner on board. Rotating pics is impossible unless you save them to a desktop computer, rotate and save, then reload. When you take pics with your phone turn the bottom of the phone(home button) to the right and the pics will load upright.

I feel the same way about the XT3 as you. While I think the JDs K72 is a fine hydro, I like the shaft drive and iron diff on the XT3 as well as the extra 200lbs of weight it carries.

If Cub had put the BDU-21 with auxillary hydraulic circuits in the XT3 I think it would be the best GT on the market.
I wonder if it's possible to switch out the BDU-10 for the 21 and just make some mods to the mounting bracket? It would be an interesting project to explore and if it worked, I'd basically have a 3000 series, less the heavier frame.

Anyone ever try to make or retrofit a 3 point hitch to the XT3 that you've known of on this forum?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

I wonder if it's possible to switch out the BDU-10 for the 21 and just make some mods to the mounting bracket? It would be an interesting project to explore and if it worked, I'd basically have a 3000 series, less the heavier frame.

Anyone ever try to make or retrofit a 3 point hitch to the XT3 that you've known of on this forum?
It would be a royal undertaking as the frame isn't made to fit the spool valves from a 3000. If I did it I'd run an aftermarket spool valve set and plumb it into the BDU-21s auxillary circuit.

Before I did all that I'd probably leave the BDU-10 alone and add a hydraulic pump and resevoir and run it off the pto. Easier and cheaper to just buy a 3000 series and use the XT3 for mowing like I did.

I haven't seen a 3pt on an XT3. I have a winch lift sleeve hitch I scratch built, most others have the factory or Johnnybucket hitch or a combo of the 2. Sergeant uses a Johnnybucket electric actuator conversion on the factory hitch as the Johnnybucket built one doesn't fit the XT3 too well.

Heres a thread about my hitch.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/19-cub-cadet-forum/1306007-built-winch-lift-receiver-sleeve-hitch-my-xt3.html?amp=1

601 - 620 of 684 Posts