My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
It would be nice if it had, I didn't filter by water proofing, but I don't mow in really damp conditions. Do intend to clean the contacts on the cable end and use dielectric grease.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I was just wondering since the factory switch has a seal in it to waterproof it. My Cub sits outside 24/7 365 along with my JD 5083. Do you keep yours inside? I built a 40' barn for my JD but that has turned into a garage for the wife's SUV and Jeep. LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
I was just wondering since the factory switch has a seal in it to waterproof it. My Cub sits outside 24/7 365 along with my JD 5083. Do you keep yours inside? I built a 40' barn for my JD but that has turned into a garage for the wife's SUV and Jeep. LOL
Don, you had that switch apart. What is the seal in it?

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
It made out of a clearish looking rubber that covers the whole contact area.
Thanks. My drill press switch didn't have that in it so i guess it's an outside rated switch only. I bet any Marine rated switch will have it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Ok here you go here are some pics of the switch apart.
See my ink pen pointing to the clip that holds the switch together, there is 1 on each side. Unclip those and slide the switch apart. Don't loose the plunger or spring. You can see some die-electric grease I put on the plunger and spring. In the other pics you can see the waterproof seal, the set of contacts, and the plunger and spring. I just stretched that spring a bit and that fixed my switch. Easy to do and you save yourself the price of a new switch in less than 5 minutes.
Hope this helps you all to understand Cub's switch design a little better. The switch seems be built pretty nice with quality pure Silver contacts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Thanks Don. Appreciate it

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Pure silver contacts??? Much more likely silver plated tungsten contacts or even tinned copper. Pure silver is too soft for a contact material.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Here Flaken is this better for you as a quality contact goes. I'm sure Cub goes with the cheaper end of the spectrum using closer to 25%. Either way the contacts used in the Mexican switch look to be quality.
Many commercial grade electrical contacts contain silver and tungsten alloys that contain between 25 and 50 percent silver.

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
Last House I lived In the Garage turned into a extension of the Shed My Cars will sit outside Before any tractor will sit outside (y)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Last House I lived In the Garage turned into a extension of the Shed My Cars will sit outside Before any tractor will sit outside (y)
I'm getting closer to building my 40x60 barn for my toy so 1 day soon I hope to have all them living inside. Just paid off my 43' RV and XT3GSX so won't be long now!

81 - 100 of 125 Posts