My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,016 Posts
Thanks Sergeant!

Is it bad I don't know if I'm more excited to have my XT2 delivered or buying the house lol! I also bought a used Cub Cadet 26" 3X snowblower with tracks. Has 15 hours on it and was very well kept! I paid a grand for it. Now, the XT2, well that's gonna set me back $3700.00

Some might say it's foolish, but growing up using my dads 147 that he still uses today, 51 years later, I always told myself when I get a house with enough land, I'm buying a Cubby. I'm not stranger, I know the quality isn't near what it was back in 1969 when his 147 was made, but I'm going to give them a shot! I just can't see myself on a Deere. Never liked the color of them to be perfectly honest.

Viva la Cub Cadet! (for now lol)
Here's your theme song.

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Thanks Sergeant!

Is it bad I don't know if I'm more excited to have my XT2 delivered or buying the house lol! I also bought a used Cub Cadet 26" 3X snowblower with tracks. Has 15 hours on it and was very well kept! I paid a grand for it. Now, the XT2, well that's gonna set me back $3700.00

Some might say it's foolish, but growing up using my dads 147 that he still uses today, 51 years later, I always told myself when I get a house with enough land, I'm buying a Cubby. I'm not stranger, I know the quality isn't near what it was back in 1969 when his 147 was made, but I'm going to give them a shot! I just can't see myself on a Deere. Never liked the color of them to be perfectly honest.

Viva la Cub Cadet! (for now lol)
The ergonomics On machines today are Better then they were when the 147 was Built The a XT3 GSX is More In Line of a 147 Both Hydrostatic shaft driven with electric Lift Though the XT3 Has Pedals for forward & reverse and is a walk thru frame instead of a saddle Frame The electric lift In the 147 controls all 3 Implement Positions Front , Mid & Rear The XT3 GSX Only front and Mid controlled By electric lift. Really the Only Major difference it Between the XT3 GSX and 147 is the 147 had More aftermarket attachment available for it Now Most of those Manufacturers are gone Got Bought out or Production stopped I wish Arps-Johnson and Brantly were still around Making Loaders, Back Hoes and Mid Mount Blades for Garden tractors (y)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't forget the $5000+ price tag for the XT3 :)

I would LOVE the XT3 but I can fathom spending that much. Heck, the last used car I bought to tinker on, wasn't much more than this mower will be lol.

I will definitely treat this XT2 like gold and probably give her a few kisses when the wife isn't looking. I hope in return she treats me just as good. I am 40 and my faith in anything engineered other than some Japanese products, isn't very high.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Yeah, that's a tough pill to swallow. I lucked out last year, my tractor is the generation before the XT3, but basically the same machine. Just a smaller 20hp engine, which has been plenty so far. I got it used with 70 hours and in great condition, for the price of a new big-box lawn tractor.

But I would have had a hard time justifying the price of a new XT3, for my situation.

I'm loving the upgrade my from my 20+ year old geared lawn tractor! Even just the ability to quickly go between forward and reverse is so nice. And I've taken inspiration from others here, in building some attachments for it. I have one or two other things in mind to make as well.

Reactions: oefveteran

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Don't forget the $5000+ price tag for the XT3 :)

I would LOVE the XT3 but I can fathom spending that much.
My 1976 Cub Cadet 1450 was $2,730 new which is equivalent to $10,955.06 today The 147 I think was around $2,000 In 1971 when New equivalent to Spending $12,988.35 today Just for the Tractor less deck.

So Your Father spent a Lot of Money Back in the day for a 147 new

But see In My case My House is Paid off 1st House In 1995 Bought In 1983 didn't live there full time until 2002 Bought new House in 2016 paid cash I didn't have to spend any money On the 3 kids educations as Uncle Sam foot the Bill as all 3 served there country So I have money to spend on outdoor power equipment now. But even when we were living On a NCO's and a Low Paid teachers salary( wife Taught Jr High On Post) we would spend what we needed for a Piece of quality outdoor Power equipment . $5,500 was a Lot of Money on a Brand new JD 240 with a Bunch of attachments on E-6's salary in 1988 But we saved for it. The 240 is Now 33 years old and still running strong for My cousin the Last 21 years he uses it for tilling and snow thrower work hasn't mowed Grass since 2000 He has a ZTR for that (y)

Reactions: oefveteran

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 1976 Cub Cadet 1450 was $2,730 new which is equivalent to $10,955.06 today The 147 I think was around $2,000 In 1971 when New equivalent to Spending $12,988.35 today Just for the Tractor less deck.

So Your Father spent a Lot of Money Back in the day for a 147 new

But see In My case My House is Paid off 1st House In 1995 Bought In 1983 didn't live there full time until 2002 Bought new House in 2016 paid cash I didn't have to spend any money On the 3 kids educations as Uncle Sam foot the Bill as all 3 served there country So I have money to spend on outdoor power equipment now. But even when we were living On a NCO's and a Low Paid teachers salary( wife Taught Jr High On Post) we would spend what we needed for a Piece of quality outdoor Power equipment . $5,500 was a Lot of Money on a Brand new JD 240 with a Bunch of attachments on E-6's salary in 1988 But we saved for it. The 240 is Now 33 years old and still running strong for My cousin the Last 21 years he uses it for tilling and snow thrower work hasn't mowed Grass since 2000 He has a ZTR for that (y)
The money he paid for the 147 was well spent! I'd be lucky if I get 25 years out my new xt2!

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Well my friends, t-minus 2 days until my mower is delivered on Saturday from my local dealer! My 2 and 1/2 year old is just as excited as I am :)
Be careful when there Old enough to reach the pedals You May be out of a Job!! My Daughter at age 12 would try to beat me to the Mowing and Saturday Morning she started Mowing at 6 am one day just to beat Dad & her twin Brother to the mowing. She still fights with Her Husband Now as to who will mow the Lawn with there Massey Ferguson Simplicity Legacy XL clone she Had several Massey-Ferguson Garden tractor In her own collection( she resorted to Pulling all the Plug wires Once to keep her Husband from mowing the Lawn Once)( My statement to her That's very Mature for a M.D. to do:ROFLMAO:) Her Twin Brother Has a Gilson Tractor collection. My JD 140H3 is actually My Youngest son's Tractor. That's Probably why he is a JD design engineer Now(y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
New member, and soon to be a new owner of a GX54D :) Searched quite a bit on this forum, and across the web, before making the purchase. I considered the XT3, but couldn't quite justify the cost, vs what I really plan to do with the machine. I really only need to be able to mow, but wanted a tougher transaxle, and the dif lock, due to hills and occasional wet conditions. Not sure if I wil ever use it for any ground engaging work. The 24hp kawi, the K62, the warranty, all had appeal. Questions still remain as to the pros/cons of the quick detach blades, but we will see how that plays out. I also considered the Husqvarna, but frame issues left me hesitant. The X590 was in the running, but do I really need all those bells and whistles? Didn't really want to spend quite that much. So, the GX54D was the 'best bang for the buck' option for me. Plus, I could get one locally. Thank you to all who added to this thread. Your input and experiences helped to sway my decision :) Looking forward to mowing this year!

·
Registered
42 Posts
New member, and soon to be a new owner of a GX54D :) Searched quite a bit on this forum, and across the web, before making the purchase. I considered the XT3, but couldn't quite justify the cost, vs what I really plan to do with the machine. I really only need to be able to mow, but wanted a tougher transaxle, and the dif lock, due to hills and occasional wet conditions. Not sure if I wil ever use it for any ground engaging work. The 24hp kawi, the K62, the warranty, all had appeal. Questions still remain as to the pros/cons of the quick detach blades, but we will see how that plays out. I also considered the Husqvarna, but frame issues left me hesitant. The X590 was in the running, but do I really need all those bells and whistles? Didn't really want to spend quite that much. So, the GX54D was the 'best bang for the buck' option for me. Plus, I could get one locally. Thank you to all who added to this thread. Your input and experiences helped to sway my decision :) Looking forward to mowing this year!
Did you get the 2021 model? I'm getting a leftover 2020 model. I couldn't stand the black wheels on the newest model.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Be careful when there Old enough to reach the pedals You May be out of a Job!! My Daughter at age 12 would try to beat me to the Mowing and Saturday Morning she started Mowing at 6 am one day just to beat Dad & her twin Brother to the mowing. She still fights with Her Husband Now as to who will mow the Lawn with there Massey Ferguson Simplicity Legacy XL clone she Had several Massey-Ferguson Garden tractor In her own collection( she resorted to Pulling all the Plug wires Once to keep her Husband from mowing the Lawn Once)( My statement to her That's very Mature for a M.D. to do) Her Twin Brother Has a Gilson Tractor collection. My JD 140H3 is actually My Youngest son's Tractor. That's Probably why he is a JD design engineer Now(y)
That's hilarious! I used to beg my dad to mow. We'd always strike a deal. I do the front or back of the property and he'd do the opposite. But I spent a good few weeks banned from the mower for what my dad called hot dogging lol. Aka beating the livin snot of the mower. That 1969 147 sure would go fast at full throttle !!

Can't wait for my dad to try out my mower and see what he thinks in comparison to his 147. The 147 is all he knows at the young age of 72.

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
That's hilarious! I used to beg my dad to mow. We'd always strike a deal. I do the front or back of the property and he'd do the opposite. But I spent a good few weeks banned from the mower for what my dad called hot dogging lol. Aka beating the livin snot of the mower. That 1969 147 sure would go fast at full throttle !!

Can't wait for my dad to try out my mower and see what he thinks in comparison to his 147. The 147 is all he knows at the young age of 72.

All 3 new the Punishment for that They would Face the Punishment I faced They were all Army Brats Just as I was a Army Brat The Non self Propelled Push Mower we Only rented 1.5 acres when they were 12 When the twins were In Army themselves we were renting a 17 acres. The twins did faced that Punishment Once(not for Hot dogging on the Tractor) But it was far worse then 1.5 acre's But wasn't 17 acres Maybe 7 or 8 acres If Your Totaled Up all the Yards they had to mow of Varying size which they had to do for every weekend for a Month. That was for a Brand New Ford Pick Up truck and a Tree On Fort Benning. GA (y)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great stories guys....

I have one...

My 7016 I inherited from my dad. He bought it brand new in '77 with 48" deck, blower and tiller. Anyway, at a family gathering, my uncle decided he'd take it for a spin when it was just a few weeks old. Well, he didn't know how to stop once he got rolling. So he came to an abrupt stop once he it the telephone pole. 😳

Still have the dent in the hood to this day....

He never was allowed on the 7016 from that day forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you get the 2021 model? I'm getting a leftover 2020 model. I couldn't stand the black wheels on the newest model.

Yes, 2021 model. 24HP Kawasaki, K62 transaxle with dif lock, and black wheels :)
Wheel color was not an issue for me. I would have liked to get a 4WD GT, but the budget is not up to that level.
The GX54D looks like a lot of machine for the money. The only thing I really think could be an issue is the Fast Attach blade system.
Reviews are all over the place on that. If it becomes a problem for me, I suppose a spindle swap could be done. Added advantage to that
would be adding the ability to put on any blade that would fit, rather then being limited to only the CC Fast Attach options. I considered a SX3,
but didn't feel the added $$ would be worth it, considering my needs, for now anyhow.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
New member, and soon to be a new owner of a GX54D :) .... So, the GX54D was the 'best bang for the buck' option for me. Plus, I could get one locally. Thank you to all who added to this thread. Your input and experiences helped to sway my decision :) Looking forward to mowing this year!
Very cool, congrats on the new tractor!

The diff lock should be a nice feature, when you suddenly need it, once you start to take more advantage of what the tractor can do.

The 48" fabricated deck on my Cub (basically an XT3) seems like something of a tank.

The Deere X5xx tractors sound great, though there's a pretty significant cost adder. I would also be concerned about the Husqvarna machines at the moment, due to the frames issues, especially if using it for more than mowing.

We always love seeing pics of people's equipment! Have fun mowing.

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Very cool, congrats on the new tractor!

The diff lock should be a nice feature, when you suddenly need it, once you start to take more advantage of what the tractor can do.

The 48" fabricated deck on my Cub (basically an XT3) seems like something of a tank.

The Deere X5xx tractors sound great, though there's a pretty significant cost adder. I would also be concerned about the Husqvarna machines at the moment, due to the frames issues, especially if using it for more than mowing.

We always love seeing pics of people's equipment! Have fun mowing.
The Fab decks are actually lighter On the XT2 series compared to the XT3 series for example the 54inch Fab On the XT2 GX54 D is a Lot easier to Man handle off the Tractor then the 54inch Fab On the XT3 series (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked mine up today, but sent it home with my neighbor, since he has the pickup and trailer.
Meanwhile, I am stuck at work! Hope to get pics later, once I get home, and offload it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Picked mine up today, but sent it home with my neighbor, since he has the pickup and trailer.
Meanwhile, I am stuck at work! Hope to get pics later, once I get home, and offload it.
Neighbor probably mowed his property with it, so have him give you a review. 🤣

Reactions: country fried

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha! Actually, I have the key, so unless his fits, it's still going to be in the trailer until this evening.
Besides, I told him I need to take pics before it gets dirty :)

41 - 60 of 122 Posts