My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eyeballing this unit at my local CC dealership, but not finding much in the way of reviews or opinions on the CC XT2 GX54D on the forum or online in general (aside from a handful of reviews from vender sites). I'm new to the site so maybe I'm just missing it. Anyone own and/or have experience with this mower and could give an opinion on it?

For what it's worth I'll be mowing around 2 acres of primarily grass, relatively flat (but pretty bumpy in spots and often wet) ground. Aside from mowing I'll be doing some light towing with a cart. No intention of plowing or doing anything truly "ground engaging" (although this unit is marketed as being capable of this). I may eventually use the mower to pull a tow behind DR brush mower (or something similar) to maintain walking paths through the fields and woods on the family property that backs up to our home. Would this mower suit my needs? The dealer says it'll work just fine (of course) and from what I've learned from reading comments in this forum I believe the mower has the specs to handle my needs adequately, however as a riding mower newbie I figured I'd ask you guys what you think.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or comments :)

Don

·
Super Moderator
17,026 Posts
Well the wife and I bought XT2 GX54D For friend of ours to replace his Slowly dying craftsman as well was going to Take over Mowing our old Houses Property which is 5.5acres he would be mowing 2.5 acres as the rest was rented to a Next door Farmer. Only issue with the Tractor for Him He has 200+ hrs on it now was the engine Oil drain for which he lifted the engine and Tightened the drain Problem solved. Other than that it has been a great tractor for Him except for the standard snow Blade CubCadet - 46" Dozer / Snow Blade Attachment which has Fallen apart after one winters Use. He has since Bought the New Dozer Blade CubCadet - FastAttach? 46" All-Season Plow for it which is better Made than the standard snow Blade The K62 with diff/lock Has Been great for his Primary Job of Mowing I forget the total Number of acres he Cuts a week In the warmer weather about 16 3/4acre Yards Plus My 2.5 acre yard For You use the K62 should be Just fine But I would say Take a look at the XT3 series anyways if they Have one In stock. The XT3 GSX Model also has diff/lock and You have a choice of what size deck You want from 42inch to 60inch :thThumbsU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info thank you sir. I won't be doing any plowing, primarily just mowing with some occasional light towing. I looked at a GSX and like it a lot but the pricetag is just too much for me (meaning the wife won't allow it), particularly since it doesn't come with a deck standard. The gx is top of the budget for us so I'm encouraged by your review as you friend seems to be doing a lot more with his than I will be.

The only thing I *might* do with it that gives me a little hesitation is pulling a tow-behind brush cut mower. I'm not familiar with just how taxing that is for the tractor towing it. Would the K62 in the GX handle this task in your opinion?

Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The XT2 54D will probably handle your needs (not sure about your future towing plans) but if diff lock/ps & lift is not important for $1300.00 more (msrp) you can get the XT3GS w/48" fad deck and do most anything you want to do with it. Just a thought; good luck and keep us posted.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It certainly plowed through that stuff pretty well. Looks like he's running a 42" xt2, lower end specs then the gx54d too, encouraging.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Went to the dealer yesterday, will sell me the Gx54d for $3500 with $100 off the cub steel dump cart I was looking at. The XT3 GS (lower end xt3 without power steering or DLock) was starting at $4300 with another $900+ for a mower deck...it's a beefier machine no doubt about that but it's also out of my price range unless I want a divorce. Even the GX is at the top of the budget for me but I think I'm going to pull this trigger this weekend. Like any machine if you take care of it and don't abuse it with jobs it wasn't meant to handle it should last a long time, right?

Still plenty of snow on the ground here in Western NY, whenever I end up getting a mower delivered I'll be sure to post some pictures, I understand pictures are encouraged on this board...

Don

·
Fairly New Member
9 Posts
I read numerous good things about the XT2 and XT3 line. They look nice too.

About 12 years ago, my neighbor bought a CC from a local dealer. I don't know the model but he mowed his 2 acres and lugged an oversized snow blower on it throughout the winters. Hands down, that thing was one of the best returns on a dollar I have seen in a while. To the point where he bundled it when he sold his home and got over 50% of what he paid for it. Factor in the heavier duty frames on the XT's, K62, dealer and part support and I think you are headed the right direction.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
It certainly plowed through that stuff pretty well. Looks like he's running a 42" xt2, lower end specs then the gx54d too, encouraging.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Went to the dealer yesterday, will sell me the Gx54d for $3500 with $100 off the cub steel dump cart I was looking at. The XT3 GS (lower end xt3 without power steering or DLock) was starting at $4300 with another $900+ for a mower deck...it's a beefier machine no doubt about that but it's also out of my price range unless I want a divorce. Even the GX is at the top of the budget for me but I think I'm going to pull this trigger this weekend. Like any machine if you take care of it and don't abuse it with jobs it wasn't meant to handle it should last a long time, right?

Still plenty of snow on the ground here in Western NY, whenever I end up getting a mower delivered I'll be sure to post some pictures, I understand pictures are encouraged on this board...

Don
Hey Don, the msrp of the XT3 GS is 3999.00 on Cub's website; that dealer may be really "padding the till" if they're pricing it @ $4300.00 w/o a deck. XT3 Enduro Series 22.5hp Kohler engine | Garden Super Tractor | Cub Cadet Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,026 Posts
Great info thank you sir. I won't be doing any plowing, primarily just mowing with some occasional light towing. I looked at a GSX and like it a lot but the pricetag is just too much for me (meaning the wife won't allow it), particularly since it doesn't come with a deck standard. The gx is top of the budget for us so I'm encouraged by your review as you friend seems to be doing a lot more with his than I will be.

The only thing I *might* do with it that gives me a little hesitation is pulling a tow-behind brush cut mower. I'm not familiar with just how taxing that is for the tractor towing it. Would the K62 in the GX handle this task in your opinion?

Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it!
Well The K62 was used Previously In the John Deere LX200 series Lawn Tractor's & is currently used In the Top of the Line Model Simplicity Broadmoor Lawn Tractor. But It should be fine Pulling a Tag along Mower.
But RD has a Good Point if You don't Need diff/lock a GS would also Be a Good Model to Look at as well. But if the wife still says No. One thing I will Point out if You go ahead with the Tractor Tell You dealer You want the Current style of cotter Pins replaced with the Tradition style cotter Pin shown below. Only Need two Because the New style of cotter Pin is a PIA to get Off. I had a heck of time Getting them Off Because the deck wouldn't fit on tractor with the Trailer I was Using to Pick the Tractor Up. Even the service Tec with Me had a heck of a Time getting them off. If You go with the tradition Cotter Pin The deck come off a lot easier and Faster :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right! I was going off memory, upon review of my actual quote she added the Cub Hauler cart along with the Tractor and deck, tractor at 4k, Cart $300, Deck $800.

They're all too expensive no matter how you slice it; our budget was out the door 4K or less. Deck is a stamped vs fabricated also on the GS model XT3 (you have to go with a XT3 GSX - $4999, if you want a fab deck).

For what it's worth I did research other brands like Craftsman, Husquevarna and Deere in this price range. Craftsman and Husky's both had comparable or better specs to the CC, only problem is that dealerships for each are about an hour away from me, not ideal if I needed repairs and such. The Deere dealership is right next door the to Cub dealer oddly enough (both about 10 min away). Deere's seem to have the best reputation but to get a machine with specs comparable to the GX54d I'd be paying significantly more. I wasn't looking to buy used either, and while I've read that older machines are great I'm a novice with mechanical stuff - I can handle the basics fine and YouTube can help me with simple repairs/replacements, but I'm not a skilled mechanic but any stretch and would prefer a new machine.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I do understand; btw a 48" fab deck is listed as an available option on the accessory page for the XT3GS and was confirmed by Cub when I called them a few months ago when considering a wider hd deck. again good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great info, I was under impression fab deck was only an option on the GSX...must be a marketing ploy to pay up for the higher end model. Imagine that...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at that one too Don (great name btw). The machine looks great, but I was concerned about where I'd be getting it serviced; my local Sears homestore didn't carry it so I'd be ordering online, if I needed warranty work done where would I take it, there? Will they pick it up since I don't have a vehicle I can transport it in? With Stanley (Lowe's) buying Craftsman would I need to find a Lowe's or Stanley repair center to fix the mower? How long is that all gonna take? I'd rather get something from a local dealership where I can get work done conveniently and (hopefully) more efficiently if needed. That's one of the biggest reasons I narrowed my search to Cub or Deere as they both are local to me and do pickup if needed. Considered the Husky GT too but the dealer is an hour away and they won't do pickup service at that distance. Both the Husky and Craftsman GT's look good on paper, just don't have the reliable service access for me.

4,649 Posts
Donny, Your Sears should have in Home Services. Most Sears Techs come to your home and service the tractor Sometimes the day you call. Also, Donny, I like Sears because they can fix other things at your home. Even if its not their brand. They fixed a lot of things in my home. Washer, Dryer,vacuum cleaners, garage door, tractor, snowblower, generator, chain saws, weed wacker, home theater system. Check your Sears online or call them.

·
Super Moderator
17,026 Posts
Hey Donny, check this out:
Sears has this:
Craftsman ProSeries 27048 50" 26 HP V-Twin Kohler Garden Tractor w/ Locking Differential for $3,400.00.
This will handle all your needs.
It Just a Cub Cadet XT1 series In Craftsman Paint & who Know How Much Longer Sears will actually be around anyways. They are letting People at the corporate HQ Go By the Bushel right now. The Parking lots there are starting to Look deserted. I Live about 10 miles from Sears HQ. They May or may not Last Until your warranty would be done My friends In the IT department are wondering when they'll be cut. But right now there contractors again and not sears employees anymore :thThumbsU

·
Registered
109 Posts
Eyeballing this unit at my local CC dealership, but not finding much in the way of reviews or opinions on the CC XT2 GX54D on the forum or online in general (aside from a handful of reviews from vender sites). I'm new to the site so maybe I'm just missing it. Anyone own and/or have experience with this mower and could give an opinion on it?

For what it's worth I'll be mowing around 2 acres of primarily grass, relatively flat (but pretty bumpy in spots and often wet) ground. Aside from mowing I'll be doing some light towing with a cart. No intention of plowing or doing anything truly "ground engaging" (although this unit is marketed as being capable of this). I may eventually use the mower to pull a tow behind DR brush mower (or something similar) to maintain walking paths through the fields and woods on the family property that backs up to our home. Would this mower suit my needs? The dealer says it'll work just fine (of course) and from what I've learned from reading comments in this forum I believe the mower has the specs to handle my needs adequately, however as a riding mower newbie I figured I'd ask you guys what you think.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or comments :)

Don
I have an XT2 GX54 and it does everything I want with ease. I mow 4 acres a week, plows my driveway and street in the winter and cultivates my garden in the spring. And all the time hauling my trailer around. What you have your eye on will do a great job for you. There is always going to be bigger and better we all want as me. But my wife will punch my in the neck if I start getting out of hand as we all want to. Have fun with you new tractor stay in your budget and say married:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an XT2 GX54 and it does everything I want with ease. I mow 4 acres a week, plows my driveway and street in the winter and cultivates my garden in the spring. And all the time hauling my trailer around. What you have your eye on will do a great job for you. There is always going to be bigger and better we all want as me. But my wife will punch my in the neck if I start getting out of hand as we all want to. Have fun with you new tractor stay in your budget and say married:tango_face_grin:
Well that's an encouraging review! You're doing a bit more with yours than I will so happy to hear it's going well. Gonna test drive it tomorrow (weather permitting) and if goes well might sign the dotted line...:tango_face_smile:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts