My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using their XT2 for light garden tractor work? More specifically front bucket or plow work, or pulling dethatchers/aerators? Just wondering how the frames hold up and especially the K62.

Also just in general if you are happy with your machine.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Anyone using their XT2 for light garden tractor work? More specifically front bucket or plow work, or pulling dethatchers/aerators? Just wondering how the frames hold up and especially the K62.

Also just in general if you are happy with your machine.
There have been a couple of guys who used them for GT work. Haven't seen them around in awhile. If I couldn't afford an XT3 I'd buy the XT2 with the K62 if dead set on buying a brand new GT.

But I'd rather buy a nice low hour used 3000 series over any of the above. I own an XT3 and a 3240 and the 3240 is superior to any of the new CC GTs available hands down. Are you dead set on a new GT?

A few threads to look at:

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
They're pretty solid for what they are, certainly superior to anything else in it's price range. That said, if you can swing it I would lean towards the XT3- it really is a great bang for the buck. Or, as previously suggested, an older well maintained machine.

Buying a new machine is such a fun situation to be in!

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
I believe @Sergeant could offer up a pretty good bit of information on the GX54D, I believe he helped his neighbor purchase one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input gentlemen I’m torn between the XT2 gx54 and the Husqvarna TS354. I actually just got a response from the owner of Johnny Bucket because he seems to be an expert in GT/LT frames, and he said the CC frame is superior to the Husqvarna.
I think I may end up going with the CC. I think the K62 will be adequate for my demands and I will be maintaining it as recommended (50 hour oil change then every 200). If it ever fails out of warranty I could always get a K66 upgrade kit. Those are $1500 right now so that will depend on how the rest of the machine is holding up! Maybe by then I’d be able to afford something better...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also in regards to buying used there doesn’t appear to be much out there right now, I’m in central mass and have been browsing Craigslist and several dealer websites near me regularly.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Also in regards to buying used there doesn’t appear to be much out there right now, I’m in central mass and have been browsing Craigslist and several dealer websites near me regularly.
I know Saugus is probably too far but I found this absolute steal of a deal.
CCMA.JPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks slick... how much life you think is left in it based on hours? Also what is the availability of finding a mower deck and how much do you think? Does it have a locking differential?

·
Registered
96 Posts
That tractor looks well cared for, there is no reason if it continues to be well cared that 1500 hours is attainable. Decks are available and completely rebuild-able (short of bad rust issues). The GT3100 does NOT have diff-lok.

Bill

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
Looks slick... how much life you think is left in it based on hours? Also what is the availability of finding a mower deck and how much do you think? Does it have a locking differential?
You keep it maintained and it's a 2k hour machine all day long.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If I can offer you any good advice, avoid that Husqvarna. I (briefly) had a 2013 model year Husqvarna-built Craftsman and it had the flimsiest frame I've ever seen in my life. As far as I know Husqvarna uses the same basic frame on all their tractors. If I didn't get the thing for free, I'd have never touched it. My 17 year old Cub 1525 lawn tractor is much more stout. The 3000 series is a tough, tough tractor. Very over built. I just bought one for myself and you can read through my experience and why I decided in a 3000 over anything else in these two threads-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody have or know of any long term reviews of the xt3 gs?? If I go that route though I’ll have to finance and if I’m going to end up financing will probably just end up biting the bullet and looking into a Deere X570

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you like the gsx’s?? How have they been holding up? How are the transmissions? Are they truly garden tractors???

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
"I thought I heard her calling my name now, hush hush"......lol; any Deep Purple fans out there???
Ok my take on the XT3 GS, I really really like it but it's not a year old yet and only has 32 +/- hrs. on it so no long term update available. First determine what you actually intend to do with a GT and buy accordingly. I would not be afraid to do light ground engaging work with it at all (ie. preparing flower beds, small area garden, use a JB jr. bucket, etc.); as a matter of fact that's what I originally bought for. I would have jumped on the hitch oefveteran offered because I already have sleeve hitch implements but my heart health said no.
My 17 yr. old 2166 and like new XT3 GS has the same BDU-10 diff as the GSX only without diff lock and I've done some very questionable things with that old 2166 in the past and it's still going strong. If you find a well maintained low hour 3000 series go for it but if you need something now and don't want all the bells and whistles of the XT3 GSX get the XT3 GS; so far I'm glad I did. Good luck.

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
I love my GSX. The fabricated 48" deck provides an amazing cut, the Bercomac blower throws snow like a champ. The transaxle is a Cub rear with a Hydro-Gear BDU10 pump, and it's extremely stout. The Kohler Command is a powerhouse.

Where do you live? I'm selling mine, and I'm selling it cheap- $5k for a $9k setup. I would love for it to go to a member.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m in central Massachusetts. The Cub website says the GS has a diff lock maybe this is new for 2020? Only difference now between the GS and GSX is the power features it looks like and the 25 hp motor vs 22.5 hp
where does the Cub transmission fall in line with the tuff torques? I’ve seen people say not as tough as a k66 and I’ve seen others say they’re equivalent to a k72. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Don't trust Cub's website; last year they had just copied & pasted the same specs and picture from the GSX to the GS and I called their attention to it. They have fixed a couple of the spec inaccuracies but if I was a betting man would bet the GS still doesn't have diff lock or a 25 amp alternator. My GS is a 2019 model that was dealer ordered from Cub new and it only has a 15 amp alt. because it lacks elec. power steering & deck lift and has no diff lock.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
I’m in central Massachusetts. The Cub website says the GS has a diff lock maybe this is new for 2020? Only difference now between the GS and GSX is the power features it looks like and the 25 hp motor vs 22.5 hp
where does the Cub transmission fall in line with the tuff torques? I’ve seen people say not as tough as a k66 and I’ve seen others say they’re equivalent to a k72. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.
I have an XT3 GSE which has the 22.5hp Kohler without the diff lock and the BDU-10 hydro. I also have a 3240 which has a BDU-21hydro. Both are hooked to a cast iron differential.

The 3240's BDU-21 has been rated somewhere between the K72 and K92 TT transaxles at 1000psi pressure. It has an auxillary hydraulic circuit the BDU-10 doesn't have that lets you add hydraulic implements like a 3pt hitch, plow etc. I have a hydraulic bucket loader on mine.

The BDU-10 in my XT3 is rated at 500psi pressure. It has no auxillary circuit so has to have electric implements.

Now. Both GTs weigh 800lbs without the deck and are shaft driven so are easily compared. They have no discernable difference in pulling power. Anytime I have put too much load on either one the tires will dig a hole rather than stop. The XT3 has pulled a 200+lb gravel drag uphill with 200-300lbs of gravel piled up on it.

I can't tell a difference in the power between these two. I'm pretty sure the 500psi of difference in the two hydro pumps is negated by the final drive gear ratio in the rear diff. As I've said before. If you can find a good used 3000 series it is better than any XT3 but the XT3 will do all the work a 3000 will do as long as you're OK with electric implements.
0812181828.jpg
1123181402a.jpg
20200208_133309.jpg

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
@Tater84 I live up in Maine, not too far a haul to save a couple grand...

You should check out my 'For Sale' thread.

The BDU-10 is rated roughly between the K66 and K72, and I've never wanted for power with it.

The XT3 GSX is a tank, on par with the Deere X500 and Simplicity Conquest.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts