My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends new here looking for help diagnosing my xt1 lt50's new personality quirk.

I inherited this great machine about 220 hours and she is now at 309 and went strong up until last week. Now it's bogging down if I cut with full power and will spit black smoke out of the exhaust.

I did a service at about 290 hours but I did another one in case that was the problem. Air filter, oil+filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, and I put on fresh ignition coils too. Didn't help at all it's still bogging down even cutting sparse fairly short areas. If I cut it with the power way down it won't bog but I have 4 acres and don't want to live my life at a turtle's pace. I am going to pump out the trans fluid and replace with fresh tomorrow hoping that's the problem.

does this sound like a transmission issue? If it could be the carb or fuel pump I can swap those too but I am not mechanically experienced and have no idea where the carb even is. Looked for diagrams but haven't found any. It's the Kohler 24hp motor if that helps.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe start with taking the deck belt off and check that all the spindles and idlers spin easily?
Thank you sir, I should have mentioned I inspected the deck too. Everything is spinning smooth and I added grease to my spindles (the originals broke so I replaced with some that have grease fittings). Also replaced deck belt about 20 hours ago.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,734 Posts
Well, black smoke typically means the engine is running rich, so you might check that the choke is open when it happens. It's possible some dirt is in the carb, jamming open the float pin.

And when did this problem happen. Before your first service, or after it, and then you did another service? And if it was between them, how soon after the first service?

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Should always mow at wide open throttle (WOT). That way you are supplying maximum power when the PTO is engaged. If it is bogging down at WOT with the PTO engaged, I would first look to see what is robbing the power from deck and then look at making sure the carb is clean and working as it should.

With the deck off the tractor upside down supported on each end by sawhorses or similar, try turning a blade. All blades should rotate quite freely since the deck belt is connecting all of the blades. If it is very difficult to move the blade, take the deck belt off and find the problem.

The engine should operate indefinitely at WOT or until you run out of gas. If the engine is not operating smoothly at WOT, a good carb cleaning and/or repair may be needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys you were right it's the carb, sort of.

I was disassembling it in the field to remove the carb for cleaning and I realized I didn't have the right tools to get the carb out, so I was reassembling and gonna try again tomorrow when I saw this:

Massive gap where some plastic broke off the engine cover and was letting dusty air directly into the carb. I did the right thing and sealed it with duct tape, gave er a nice long spray of carb cleaner down the hole, put the filter and hood back on and guess what. Running just like before and no more problems with losing power while cutting.

I will still take the carb out for a good cleaning at some point soon and still want to try and service the transmission but hey maybe I will just slap some duct tape on those as well and it'll all be fine.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,734 Posts
I would preferably, melt the plastic back together, if it the kind of plastic that can be melted together (some can, some can't), or use glue or rtv to make sure that crack is sealed all the way around. With that kind of irregular surface, it can be difficult to get tape to completely seal that opening.

Edit: And clean out any dirt/debris that's in the intake...

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I would buy new parts, make the repair and be done. But that's too easy for some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts