My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old XT-1. with the 25h.p Kohler. it has spells of not wanting to start. when I turn the key i get a high pitched whine & when it tries to crank it kicks back kinda like on an older car that timing is too advanced. connections are clean & tight & the voltage meter reads 12.5 volts when the tractor is off & 13.5 while running. the battery is new. i'm thinking about pulling the starter & having a look inside, might it be a bad bar on the commutator?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
If it makes a high-pitched whining, like the starter is spinning really fast without engaging with the flywheel, then I would remove the starter and look at the mechanism that gets the starter gear to move. It might just need some lube, or there can be debris in there, or possibly a problem with the electric solenoid (some use a solenoid to move the gear, some use a centifigual mechanism).

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Agreed, it sounds like the Bendix gear is not sliding up and engaging with the flywheel.

If this gear is visible (somewhat unlikely) you might be able to just spray some lube on it, and try that. But for lubricating the mechanism, I wouldn't use normal liquid oil. It will stay wet, and will then attract grit and dust. Which will make it want to bind up again, or wear out more quickly.

This stuff, for instance, has worked well for me. It sprays on as a liquid, then dries, and leaves a teflon film behind:
Blaster 9.3 oz. Advanced Dry Lube with Teflon-16-TDL - The Home Depot

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had an issue similar to yours last year, and it turned out to be the starter. Had the whine noise a couple times and not starting, and then the starter gear got hung up in the flywheel. Apparently there was a slight bend in the shaft. It was only 3 years old and had less than 45 hours on it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i kept procrastinating & let the warranty run out. i can't spare it right now so I'll deal with it until I have the time to work on it. at least the starter is easy to get to. I'll post when i get it resolved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did the same thing. When it went, I was a month out of warranty. Set me back over $160. Kohler thinks a lot of their starters. Hope you don't need a replacement. It is easy to get to and remove/replace. Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts