My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering trading/selling the 2320 and getting a x7xx. We are beating ourselves up mowing our rough 2 acres of back yard with the 2320 and there is no time for brush hogging and the gardens have shrunk or gone to raised beds, so tilling can be done with the walk behind, loader work is minimal (I still use my wheelbarrow, a lot:hide:). We traded a GX345 on the 2320. My wife does a lot of the mowing and she could fly on the GX. Not so on the 2320 with its gearing, luckily our land is flat so we can still mow in high range. Are the mowing speeds of the x7xx or even a x540 still comparable to the GX345? Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would think so. The 540's tranny is the son of the one that was in your gx345. Plus the engine has more power. An x700 should do even better. Have you tried letting a little air out of the tires on your 2320? That should help with the ride. The recommended tire pressure is always to much for me on these machines.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yup...the X540 and the GX345 are the same speed 7.6 MPH if I remember correctly. The X700 is 8.5MPH

·
Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
Well if you go with the X700 series You can keep most of your rear mounted attachments from your 2320 as well as the 47inch Blower Just need a diffrent PTO shaft. I sure don't drive at 8.5 miles and hour to cut 2.5 acres of my 5.5Acres with a X485.:thThumbsU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I wish the X7 had high gear... 8.5 is fast enough for the yard.. but I'd like to crank out 15-20 when I drive around town :D

·
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife loves to fly on the mower, loves mowing at her mom's on her GX335. I am suprised she doesn't sprain her neck the way she whips around! I have been adjusting the tire pressure, but with the higher center of gravity, we are still getting off the mower sore.
That would be the plan Sarge, to keep the blower. My salesman thinks I would be better off getting a whole new blower because the 2320 would be worth more on trade with it. We will have to see if it is worth more to him, it should be worth more to me...so to speak. He is going to bring out an x7xx to the house, just have to pick which one. I am leaning towards a x720SE...at least today!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Get the X748SE and don't look back. The comfort on the SE is exquisite:fing32: slkpk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Get the X748SE and don't look back. The comfort on the SE is exquisite:fing32: slkpk
Comfort wise...isn't the 720SE and the 748SE the same? Don't they both have that wonderful seat? Power steering? Tilt? Cruise? Just the engine sound is different no?:sorry1:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Comfort wise...isn't the 720SE and the 748SE the same? Don't they both have that wonderful seat? Power steering? Tilt? Cruise? Just the engine sound is different no?:sorry1:
I think that is true. The SE models have the suspension seat and are very comfortable.

The only thing I didn't like about the seat is the arms would catch my shorts some times. I unbolted them and put them on the shelf.

·
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right Brian. I was leaning towards the x720se more for cost (cheaper). I figured I would put on about 100 hours per year and am averaging just less than 60, so the diesel will take a bit to pay for itself. As for the four wheel drive, I'm not crazy about the new full time system and I have had the 2320 stuck many times, the GX345, was only stuck once.:fing20:

I would just like to trade for simplicity, but will probably put it on CL first. If it sells there, I may just splurge on a used x748se or x728se unit from Roeder Equip! Now just need some time to clean it up and get the dealer unit out here to try.

·
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing I didn't like about the seat is the arms would catch my shorts some times. I unbolted them and put them on the shelf.
That's interesting, because my wife and I thought the arm rests looked awkward and we weren't sure we would use them. But, we also haven't sat in the SE seat yet either!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
All the SE models share: front fenders, fancy "spoked" wheels, front brush guard, and the really nice seat with adjustable armrests, suspension, and lumbar support. The 720 is 2WD, though, where the 748 is 4WD (and diesel).

As far as mowing speed comparison's go, though, just because one machine's TOP speed is greater than the other's doesn't mean it will also mow faster. How well the machine mows at high ground speed is entirely dependent on lawn condition (grass height/thickness/moisture) With that dependent in mind, the X748 and 2305 are pretty much on par, but the X748 will be a more comfortable ride by far at faster mowing speeds, and its abilities specifically as a mower are better due to better maneuverability in tight spots (tighter turning, not as long).

The X540 would be a lateral move from the GX, the only real difference would be that it is newer (but not necessarily better). Like Sergeant said, with the X7, you can keep and use the implements that you have with the 2305. I also agree, with 515 hrs of experience with one in the last two years, get the X748SE and don't look back.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The 720 is 2WD, though, where the 748 is 4WD
That's a good point. The 728 is a gas 4WD I think. Being on 'Snow Mountain' you may want a blade or blower on it and the 4WD makes a huge difference.

·
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rarely use the MFWD on the 2320 when blowing snow. I run turfs on our asphalt drive with about 500lbs of sand in the ballast box. Salesman knows the driveway and says I will be fine with 2wd and some weight, and I think the x720SE comes with the HDAP tires(correct?) which I thought should help. I'm just trying to keep costs down of course and looking to simplify for personal reasons, this place and its maintenance is killing me! Its a great place to live and raise our boys, but there has to be an easier way! Just doing the mowing and blowing myself and hiring the other stuff out, on occasion when it HAS to be done should help. And if the "other stuff" doesn't get done, no big deal. I'm just sick of telling my kids, I always have something "else" to do. :banghead3

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
and I think the x720SE comes with the HDAP tires(correct?)
Yes. That is the other commonality in the SE's; all come with HDAP's. I forgot that one.

How old are these boys of yours? Sounds like a shared plan for property upkeep is in order. Get them all a JD and get them to see who can get their share done first.

·
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice idea! They are only 5 and 7. Both love the 185 and that predates safety switches on the seats (neither weigh that much) and has a hydro on the fender so we are breaking them in!

·
Registered
64 Posts
:congrats:
I wish the X7 had high gear... 8.5 is fast enough for the yard.. but I'd like to crank out 15-20 when I drive around town :D
I second that motion!

:congrats:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I rarely use the MFWD on the 2320 when blowing snow. I run turfs on our asphalt drive with about 500lbs of sand in the ballast box. Salesman knows the driveway and says I will be fine with 2wd and some weight, and I think the x720SE comes with the HDAP tires(correct?) which I thought should help.
The HDAP are standard. I had turf's put on mine when I got it because I was worried about my damp sensitive grass areas.

My drive is paved but it is hilly. In 2WD I have a hard time. I have a blade on the 748 and a blower on the L3400 and I need 4WD on both with the hills. I won't use chains on my drive either. Sounds like your going to be fine though if your not using 4WD on the 2520. When I think of snow mountain I think of hills.:)

I run 4 of those JD weighs on the 748 rear in winter. I think they are 70 lbs. I welded up my own bracket to hold them.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
All the SE models share: front fenders, fancy "spoked" wheels, front brush guard, and the really nice seat with adjustable armrests, suspension, and lumbar support. The 720 is 2WD, though, where the 748 is 4WD (and diesel).

As far as mowing speed comparison's go, though, just because one machine's TOP speed is greater than the other's doesn't mean it will also mow faster. How well the machine mows at high ground speed is entirely dependent on lawn condition (grass height/thickness/moisture) With that dependent in mind, the X748 and 2305 are pretty much on par, but the X748 will be a more comfortable ride by far at faster mowing speeds, and its abilities specifically as a mower are better due to better maneuverability in tight spots (tighter turning, not as long).

The X540 would be a lateral move from the GX, the only real difference would be that it is newer (but not necessarily better). Like Sergeant said, with the X7, you can keep and use the implements that you have with the 2305. I also agree, with 515 hrs of experience with one in the last two years, get the X748SE and don't look back.

Ken gives great advice as usual.

If I understand correctly, you want to mow just as fast, but more comfortably.

Speed of the tractor while mowing is a factor, as is deck size. Right now you have a 62" deck. You can get a 62" with an X700 series, fortunately. But I wonder if you could mow faster and get better cut quality by moving down slightly in size to the heavy-duty 60" 7-Iron deck?

My only other comment is that I think it would be tough for you, having had a diesel 2320, to switch to a gas X700. My vote would be for the diesel X748SE!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts