My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a well used x749 yesterday. It had a small electrical fire in the engine compartment and fried the wiring, hood assembly, and radiator. It has been "temporarily" wired to prove the tractor runs, drives, and mows. Is there a wiring diagram for this engine and tractor? I would like to give a shot at repairing the harness rather than replace it for $450. I am also looking for a new hood+headlight+grill assembly. If anybody has one for sale or knows about one, I am interested.
-I know....I know. :wwp::wwp:

Attachments

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Wow. :eek:If this beast is worth putting back together, do yourself a favor and get a technical manual for starters. It has all the wiring diagrams in it. Second, for the time, hassle, and potential errors, trying to patch a burned up harness is not worth the trouble. Get one from JD along with the headlight wiring harness.

X749's are out of print and somewhat sought after. If you got it cheap enough, it's worth sticking a few bucks into it and fixing it right......You'll still come out ahead. How many hours are on her?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told it has 1200 hours, but won't know for sure until I get power to the dash.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you dont mind me asking what did you get it for? For roughly a grand you can have a nice running tractor. I would buy a wiring harness from deere and pick up a hood on ebay and re decal it if its not already for a 749.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is this one able to take a FEL?

Do you have the rear 540 pto and 3-point hitch?

That's an awesome machine, I hope you get it rebuilt well.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you dont mind me asking what did you get it for? For roughly a grand you can have a nice running tractor. I would buy a wiring harness from deere and pick up a hood on ebay and re decal it if its not already for a 749.
-I don't mind you asking, but before I tell you what I paid......what do you guys think it is worth?
-I have been looking on ebay with no luck. I will have to patient with that search.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this one able to take a FEL?

Do you have the rear 540 pto and 3-point hitch?

That's an awesome machine, I hope you get it rebuilt well.
It can take a FEL with slight sub-frame modifications the way I understand it. I may try my buford loader on it to see if I like it. I don't have, or need, a rear pto. I do have a 3 point that will fit it. It also already has the shafts thru the front axle to drive a snowblower or sweeper. I just need the long shaft to connect the mid-pto to the front pto. So that seems like a nice extra.

·
Super Moderator
13,182 Posts
Looks like a nice project. X749's are all across the board in price....... so it is tough to say...

Hopefully the instrument cluster is in working condition and you can find out the hours.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cluster "looks" ok. Once I look over the wiring diagram, I should be able to temp a hot and ground wire to see if it works. It would be nice to keep the original hour meter.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Your my hero taking on that project, I'm sure it will be worth it to make it pretty again!

·
Registered
379 Posts
What a cool little project! I would love to find something like that.

If it were me, I would just replace the wiring harness with a new one from JD. I'm assuming you probably got a good deal so that's why I suggest going with a new harness. Save yourself some headache. However there is manuals available and it's not an overly complicated system should you decide to tackle it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like 80% of the harness is ok. It just needs everything around the engine replaced. It will be a couple months before I start the repairs. It will be used as a loader tractor for now. At least I don't have to worry about scratching it. Haha

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
There is a X595 harness on ebay for $200. that might be the same part of close enough to work. I have seen a X7 on before and it was under $150.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a X595 harness on ebay for $200. that might be the same part of close enough to work. I have seen a X7 on before and it was under $150.
Thank you very much for looking. I saw that one the other day. It is an AM132603 and this x749 needs an AM136618. I haven't studied them side by side, but there must be several differences due to the $140 price difference from deere. Again, thanks for keeping an eye out. If anyone has first hand knowledge on whether or not the x595 harness would work, I would love to hear it.

·
GX345
670 Posts
-I don't mind you asking, but before I tell you what I paid......what do you guys think it is worth?
-I have been looking on ebay with no luck. I will have to patient with that search.
It's hard to guess how much, $500 ? So, how much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish $500. I figured a 1200 hour machine in much better condition should be worth at least $7000. Asking price was $3500. I offered $2500 and we agreed to $3000. Guess we will see if I win or lose. If I can fix this thing for $1500 or less I will be very happy with the deal. If it cost up to $2000 to fix, still kinda happy. If I spend more than $2000......oh well. I'm doing this for fun and not to make a living.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If i had to guess with it re done properly i would guess in the neighborhood of about 7500.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm glad to see someone on here bought that machine. I was watching it the last couple weeks on eBay. I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. That looks like a great project and a heck of a deal for a top notch tractor.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree with those who recommend going with the factory wiring harness despite the higher cost. It's not worth the time and hassle to go cheap on something so critical to reliable operation.

Any idea what caused the electrical fire?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with those who recommend going with the factory wiring harness despite the higher cost. It's not worth the time and hassle to go cheap on something so critical to reliable operation.

Any idea what caused the electrical fire?
Appears to have been a fuel leak and the fuel likely ate away the insulation on the wires. The rest is history. It was caught on camera and nobody was near the machine when it caught fire. It was just sitting in a garage bay. Kind of scary to think about actually.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts