My Tractor Forum banner

121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Do you get a LOT of snow? I bought the 2nd drift cutter when I bought the 54" blower. About 2 weeks later I took them both off and they have not been on since (9 years). I kept hitting them when walking by in the garage. I had 6+ feet of snow in 2+ days a few years ago. If I didn't miss them then I'll never need them.

Glad you got that blower. It looks great.
We get enough snow for sure, I'm sure there are places that get alot more though. I get deep drifts around my garage when the wind blows from the north west. Last year I took the the drift cutter off my 46 and made taller ones because I was struggling with some drifts.

I know exactly what you mean about getting clothing caught on the drift cutter, I push a empty washer fluid jug down over it when not in use so it dont grab my clothes when I go by.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The blowers are a bit taller than the throwers so might solve some of the problem. I generally clean up before i have two feet of snow so don't have much of a problem. I'm also fortunate that this house and the last one do not drift much.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Well I ordered the pieces the double thick sidewalls and the pulleys I think I need for the chute rotation mod.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just my experience, but the skids can be set low (maybe .09”) for concrete/blacktop. Since the skids have a couple of holes in them, I chose to make 1” skid extenders for clearing gravel or dirt. So far they’ve worked well, even though I bent one the last time out. Needed some inside support or thicker steel. They attach quickly using 3/8” carriage bolts and wingnuts.

Reactions: 830King

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Just my experience, but the skids can be set low (maybe .09”) for concrete/blacktop. Since the skids have a couple of holes in them, I chose to make 1” skid extenders for clearing gravel or dirt. So far they’ve worked well, even though I bent one the last time out. Needed some inside support or thicker steel. They attach quickly using 3/8” carriage bolts and wingnuts.
Yes I think I'm gonna skip the uhmw wear bar and see how it does. I noticed this blower has a much heavier duty skid set up than the 46 does.

I have a new concrete driveway and I want to not have any ice build up on it. I also have a dirt back driveway / parking area that I keep clear. I clear the driveway and sidewalks then move the skids up so I dont pick up any dirt. After a few snowfalls a it turns to hardpack on the dirt area's and then I dont have change the skid height.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yes I think I'm gonna skip the uhmw wear bar and see how it does. I noticed this blower has a much heavier duty skid set up than the 46 does.

I have a new concrete driveway and I want to not have any ice build up on it. I also have a dirt back driveway / parking area that I keep clear. I clear the driveway and sidewalks then move the skids up so I dont pick up any dirt. After a few snowfalls a it turns to hardpack on the dirt area's and then I dont have change the skid height.

My driveway was part new, part old and cracked. I find the heavy skids handle climbing over uneven cracks, while keeping buildup to a minimum on new and as you said, you won’t have to adjust after some buildup in grass and gravel. I have however found a sudden step in front of some garage aprons catch pretty hard even just easing into them. When I find the extenders really helpful is before the ground gets frozen, especially by mailboxes and gravel drive.

Reactions: 830King

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well I ordered the pieces the double thick sidewalls and the pulleys I think I need for the chute rotation mod.

The double end plates showed up and I have them temporarily mounted with just the drift cutter and skid bolts. I have all the other holes drilled just waiting for the stainless steel fasteners I ordered to show up. Seems like it will really help keep the ends from getting bent up around street curbs. There is a couple small paint chips missing on the blower under the double end caps, I take them back off and touch them up with yellow paint in the spring when its warm enough to paint outside.

Also I ordered the Merit electric spout control. Says everything is included to get it mounted and wired up. I'm hoping it has a relay so it's dead with the ignition off as that's how I have everything else wired up. I plan on mounting the switch right to the Otc cab so no wiring stays on the tractor when the cab comes off.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Also I ordered the Merit electric spout control. Says everything is included to get it mounted and wired up. I'm hoping it has a relay so it's dead with the ignition off as that's how I have everything else wired up. I plan on mounting the switch right to the Otc cab so no wiring stays on the tractor when the cab comes off.
I use this setup for my chute deflector actuator.

One connects to the actuator and stays on the blower in use or storage. The other is under the hood when not in use and pulled out under the grill to connect to the blower when mounted. Both have flex conduit for a little protection.

My switch (similar to this one)

is mounted to the dash frame near the levers. This way my right hand does this work and my left can stay on the steering wheel or knob. Off snow season it is not in the way at all.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Switched out the pulleys and added a longer cable, now have much more chute rotation.

Stainless hardware showed up for the end plates. Got them all mounted up. I dont have stainless in the skid mounts, I might change them out yet but undecided so far.

Later this week or early next week the electric spout actuator is supposed to show up. I get that all set up and going in a evening or 2 after work.

No snow at all in the 2 week forecast so i cant give anything a real test yet.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That all looks great! You will appreciate the extra chute rotation every time you snow blow. Keep up the good work.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
...well, you could haul it somewhere that there is snow and give it a whirl...
We about a foot of old snow on the ground, but I'm wanting new snow to try it on. Lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
Now they changed it, 3-9" expected on Saturday. Definitely wouldn't mind playing with the x748 with the new snowblower! But I'm perfectly good if we get nothing cuz I hate dealing with the snow at my outdoor job.

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
Melting fast here. A green Christmas for sure?
I measured 9.5" in the backyard this morning, and it's been pretty warm.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
958 Posts
Glad to see the CO detector there. I have a similar one and got tired of the chirping alarm. I squeezed a bunch of RTV in the alarm grill. I watch the digital readout for when I need to crack the door for a minute. I heat the cab with a propane golf cart heater so CO builds fairly quickly. I also see CO rise when moving against the wind with exhaust backing up. No big deal, but nice to be able to monitor.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Glad to see the CO detector there. I have a similar one and got tired of the chirping alarm. I squeezed a bunch of RTV in the alarm grill. I watch the digital readout for when I need to crack the door for a minute. I heat the cab with a propane golf cart heater so CO builds fairly quickly. I also see CO rise when moving against the wind with exhaust backing up. No big deal, but nice to be able to monitor.
It has been a while since I had a 400. Where is the exhaust and where does it aim?

The CO was only there for testing one afternoon. It never moved off of zero while testing with the engine running or off. There are lots of spaces and gaps with a Weather Enclosure allowing fresh air all of the time. The diesel's radiator fan moves so much air that even with the screens taped up there is air being drawn from the WE and moved out through the engine area.. The five heater fans (low power computer ones) keep the air moving all the time. I'm sure a full CAB and an air cooled engine would be very different from the air exchange perspective.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Well I have no pictures as of yet, but I have the chute actuator installed. Just in time because forecast says starting tomorrow night into Sunday morning we should expect a little bit of snow. 5-10" expected, it keeps changing so we'll see.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Well I have no pictures as of yet, but I have the chute actuator installed. Just in time because forecast says starting tomorrow night into Sunday morning we should expect a little bit of snow. 5-10" expected, it keeps changing so we'll see.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Few pictures, I added a hold down for the wire behind the chute. There is a plug in by the grill so when I remove the blower I can just unplug it. I fed the wire thru the same ring on the quick hitch that holds the angle cylinder hoses away from the pto shaft. I mounted the switch above the heater on the left side the hood, mainly went over there because all my other wiring is on that side. I used a relay so everything is dead with the ignition switch off. All the wiring removes with the cab, I have a positive going to the starter, ground going to the alternator mounting bolt, and a fuse tapped for the relays that's it. Then it's just remove the heater hoses and cab is ready to remove in the springtime.

121 - 140 of 182 Posts