My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and just traded my X530 for a new X748. I'm looking for any suggestions for a wood chipper to attach to my tractor. I was looking at the woodmaxx but was told it would be to heavy for the 3 point hitch. Any suggestions

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
I just picked up a Wallenstein BX32 for my 2210. It has a 3" capacity but as long as the branch is pretty straight I think it is closer to 4". The dealer suggested the BX42 and thought my tractor would handle it fine, but I opted for the slightly smaller chipper due to the weight difference (30 lbs). And while that doesn't sound like much, I can tell you the loader needs to be on and you probably need to be in 4WD (the ground has been kind of mushy and I have slopes to deal with). The $ difference between the two chippers is insignificant.

On our sister site: www.tractor.com there is also a review of the Woods "Estate Series" of implements and it looks like they have a nice little chipper as well. http://www.tractor.com/features/woods-equipment-co-subcompact-tractor-attachments-1499.html :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
That Wallenstein that JDF has looks real nice.

Also, take a look at the one that CHDinCt is using. He's been using his on several different model Kubota BX units, which are really in the same PTO/hp range as your X748. So his experience should be very applicable too:

CHDinCT's Dr. Chipper

Mind you, he is now running it on a BX25, which has more grunt than the BX1850/60 he originally purchased it for. So it might be worth searching for some of his more recent posts.

As for the size/diameter that JDF mentioned above. Maybe a commercial guy would need the 4" capacity? I don't know about you, but I like to burn anything over 2-3" in diameter, so I would not need a 4" capacity chipper.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress, and your results. I am interested in one too, but I am torn between buy v. rent, where the rental would more likely be self contained. I have about a solid week's worth of work resulting from the October snow mess here. Then, I would definitely have annual use during storm and other clean-up. But, I'm not sure I can justify purchase for that. On the other hand, I have been encouraging my neighbor to buy a nice tow behind commercial unit that would take up to 5".

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be clearing about 2 acres and been looking for something in the 5" range. I'll check the sites you suggested.
I think you're going to find a chipper of this size too much for your X.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
I just picked up a Wallenstein BX32 for my 2210. It has a 3" capacity but as long as the branch is pretty straight I think it is closer to 4". The dealer suggested the BX42 and thought my tractor would handle it fine, but I opted for the slightly smaller chipper due to the weight difference (30 lbs). And while that doesn't sound like much, I can tell you the loader needs to be on and you probably need to be in 4WD (the ground has been kind of mushy and I have slopes to deal with). The $ difference between the two chippers is insignificant.

On our sister site: www.tractor.com there is also a review of the Woods "Estate Series" of implements and it looks like they have a nice little chipper as well. http://www.tractor.com/features/woods-equipment-co-subcompact-tractor-attachments-1499.html :)
I think you're going to find a chipper of this size too much for your X.
Nice write up you did on those implements, as usual.:fing32:
5" you will want a self contained-tow behind. I think it would be really hard on your X to try to chip that big of limbs.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Wallenstein, Woods, Vermeer, DR, Salsco, Morbark, Merry Mac are all brands I see being used commercially. I do remember Picframer (Andy) using chippers in his previous business and having surprisingly good luck with a Jinma model. You might want to contact him through a pm (I'm sure he would be happy to pass on his experience). :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
been looking for something in the 5" range

to be honest, anything over 3" to 3.5" is good firewood!... some people say 4-5" for firewood, but most everyone overestimates diameters of logs... 5" is almost big enough to need splitting!

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
I burn anything bigger than I can cut with manual bypass loppers (about 1.5 inches). I have a fireplace-insert wood stove, which needs to be relit each night, and this size makes excellent (and free) kindling.

Anything smaller gets burned in the garden.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've taken the advice of the forum and picked up a DR 13HP on craigslist for $400. The unit is not in to bad a shape ,runs strong but I want to go over it before chipping season. Any suggestions on a parts supplier with reasonable prices. The DR parts site is out of site with there prices.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I borrowed a DR 3pt chipper, and it worked good, but the load hopper is too high. You have to lift all the limbs up to face height to load it. It only has 1 cutting blade as well. I looked at purchasing a used Wallenstein, ( i think it was) and it was much lower, and had 4 cutting blades I was told.While using the brand new Dr unit, the main pulley came loose, slid inward and threw the belt off. Dr wanted $90 plus S&H for a replacement. I did some research and got the same exact belt, made by the same manufacturer for $36 to the door.It was a 3 rib belt( 3v belts molded together).The tractor ran it just fine none the less.I didn't think the DR was made well for the money my friend paid for it though.

·
USN
460 Posts
MacKissic also makes a very good tow behind chipper!
Ditto!

I have this one http://www.valleypower.com/mimac12m...CSEs&utm_medium=BingShopping&utm_campaign=CSE and it has chewed up a lot of brush, limbs over the past few years. Mine is a recoil start and several years old (bought used). Can't say enough good things about it and nothing bad.

I cut all limbs 2" and over for fire wood. I don't burn it myself, but give most of it away to those in need of wood to burn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts