My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start off with a little back story first.

I was slightly looking for a X748 if the right deal came along. I found a 07 model in Missouri that needed a K92 trans-axle. I emailed the seller and he explained that he bought it at a farming equipment auction about 4 years ago and it developed a grinding noise that would happen when going up the slightest incline, and even when going in reverse. I called the P.O. on the phone and he explained to me that it developed that grind last fall some time and that he hadn't used it much if at all since. I gave the whole thing some time, did what I thought was my homework on the K92's and was fully prepared to either rebuild it or replace it should I buy it. I gave it a few more days and the P.O. and myself agreed on a date and time and price and I set out on a drive to Missouri from Michigan. (about 7 hours 1 way)

I arrived and he had the tractor outside his garage waiting under a large over hang. The first thing I noticed was the amount of dirt and oil under the tractor. It was covered. Anything you touched it was either oil or dirt. I chalked it up to the trans-axle having a leak somewhere and it had eventually lead to the "grinding". I checked the fluid level, color, and smell and all seemed ok. I drove it around his property and it never seemed to loose power while "grinding" but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what the sound was. The tractor then ended up on my trailer and I set off on the trek home. I got home the next day after an over night stay in Springfield, IL.

Today I removed the fender pan, foot rest, hood, fuel tank and began de-greasing and power washing everything. It was filthy. It reeked of manure, dirt, grease and oil. Once I got the first round of power washing done I noticed a very large crack in the frame on the right side. Large enough to where the "ear" of the frame was broken off free of the frame. The left side of the frame was just as much of a shock/ disappointment as the other. There were 2 more large cracks on the left "ear" and what I would call a very poor half a$$ fix on the frame.

The hydraulic cylinder bracket had cracked (from lord knows what) and someone welded washers on the frame in a poor attempt at fixing it. I could of thrown up, I was sick to my stomach. Well after a few moments of silence, a few choice words, a few deep breaths, and a quick eBay search I found a X700 frame. The seller and I agreed on a price, and he is shipping a frame out to me from Minnesota. The price of the frame is cheaper than any fix would of been to the trans-axle. Even a replacement trans-axle I was looking at almost 800 to a thousand dollars.

So next week/ weekend I am going to start the frame swap. It is a bare frame, but does include the break pedal, diff lock linkage, and forward and reverse linkages. The rest I will have to swap over to the new frame. I will take plenty of pictures along the way and try to document and explain as much as I can.

This afternoon I took the trans-axle out from under the old frame and finished power washing everything off. Tomorrow I am going to drain the coolant, and pull the motor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
This is something to definenatly look for in the X7xx series for us second, third owners going forward.

I need to look at my 455 to see if there are any issues.

Is this issue showing up in the X series on other models?

Does anyone know the gauge/thickness of frames or where this information is available?

I would think it would be listed on replacement frame if available but then again a reduction in material for the bottom line is not always a selling point!

CCMoe

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Just wondering if you could just replace the back half of the frame? A good welder or body shop could do it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The question to me is if you or the factory were to make the frame thicker and/or stronger in this area where the transaxle bolts on would that put undue stress on the casting of the transaxle and crack it instead of the frame. I'm not an engineer but is it possible the factory planned this so the frame cracks before the transaxle casting?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience... I guess many X7 buyers will now add "inspect frame to hydro mounting" to their inspection checklist. I ran out and looked over my 2008 X729 this morning and am fine. I do find it interesting that in the 318/420 era, I think that connection was a piece of angle iron welded to flat side of frame vs. now the frame is folded over. I guess with the angle iron you could use a heavy gauge vs. being stuck with whatever thickness the frame is in that area. I also recall some 420's that were used hard could crack that angle iron so it is definitely a high stress area.

Good luck with the swap, take some pics, we love those.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I do find it interesting that in the 318/420 era, I think that connection was a piece of angle iron welded to flat side of frame vs. now the frame is folded over. I guess with the angle iron you could use a heavy gauge vs. being stuck with whatever thickness the frame is in that area. I also recall some 420's that were used hard could crack that angle iron so it is definitely a high stress area.
It is a cost saving measure during manufacturing verses extra expense of the manufacturing of other past models if that is how the 318s were manufactured.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made some decent progress on tearing down the X748. The only sketchy part I've had so far is while removing the motor I used 1 ratchet strap from one corner of the motor across the top to the opposite corner. When I lifted it out of the tractor with my X585 w/45 loader, it rotated to one side (Now laying on it's side). I panicked and quickly back the tractor up and lowered the motor before it would do anything else drastic. It wasn't as gingerly done as I would of liked but it got done. Lesson learned is when I re-install the motor I will use 2 straps.

I got the radiator out, along with the rear lift cylinder and hydro lines, the SCV valve, gauge cluster, and most of the wiring is undone and ready to come out. My only frustration currently is I cannot for the life of me get the steering wheel off. Monday I will rent a steering wheel puller and get it off that way so I can finish removing the dash tower. From there I am planning on waiting until the replacement frame comes in so I can swap the hydro lines and assorted things for it without forgetting where things go. I am going to put pictures up tomorrow. I am having issues downloading currently. I took a ton of pictures.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are some pictures. I started out draining the coolant, because deere's engineers didn't put a drain hose on the bottom of the rad I put a funnel in there to direct most of the coolant into the bucket. While it was draining I removed the battery, and the "tray assembly" I will call it. Once that was done I removed the hood hinge assembly's, and unbolted the motor and stated removing the wiring harness. I also removed the muffler as it sticks below the bottom of the motor and with it on the motor wouldn't sit on the ground evenly. After the motor was unbolted I removed the fuel lines. The line that goes from the tank to the filter housing I stuck in a small 1 gallon tank figuring "how much can actually come out of this line for a second. Well I turned my back 1 second next thing I knew I had diesel on the floor. CRAP!!! I replaced the line and then went and bought a diesel can and then re-removed the line and the other one and let it drain. This siphoned most of the fuel out of the tank also. Glad I bought the 5 gallon. I also replaced the fuel and air filters. Once the motor was out out came the radiator, and I started in on the dash assembly making sure once something was removed to replace the bolts either in the part, or back in the frame so I know where they go.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last few from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
This is something to definenatly look for in the X7xx series for us second, third owners going forward.

I need to look at my 455 to see if there are any issues.

Is this issue showing up in the X series on other models?

Does anyone know the gauge/thickness of frames or where this information is available?

I would think it would be listed on replacement frame if available but then again a reduction in material for the bottom line is not always a selling point!

CCMoe
My x595 that has had a 45 loader and a 300 pound box blade on it pretty much since it was new has no issues, just crawled under it today after seeing these threads. That area where the axle bolts to the frame is pristine on my machine. My frame measures 3/16" thick - so 7 gauge. Pretty sure the x7's are the same. These tractors are about 1,100 pounds with no deck and no attachments in the 4wd variant.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For the steering wheel if you have an air hammer, grabbing the wheel with one hand and pulling up and air hammering the the shaft and it should pop right off. No worrying about messing your steering wheel up with a puller either. You will more than likely hit yourself in the chest when the wheel pops off though hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
That definitely is some bonding time with your new X, seeing the bare frame reminds me of when my X595 got its engine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Closest I've got recently. Just a hood removal to wash out the &[email protected]$^#@! radiator. Mowing a VERY neglected 25 acre field and it's a dust nightmare. Every other lap around the field I was having to stop and remove the intake grates and clean the back of the radiator, it was packed with fines. Temperature gauge tells me when it's time to clean. 20190805_095412_1565021335389.jpg

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today's update

1 - 20 of 57 Posts