My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some advice and different perspectives.

I just bought a little over 6 acres in eastern SD I’ll take possession of in a few months from an acre in town. New place was field 2.5 years ago - whoever reseeded did a terrible job and there are no trees (yikes, open prairie in the winter). The driveway and road I’m on the hook for is several hundred yards uphill from the main road facing north - a bad direction for snow in this area.

Now for the green conversation. I currently have a ‘12 x748 with just under 600 hours that runs well. I bought it at 450 hours 2 years ago with a new 7 iron deck and new quick hitch when I purchased it. I have quite a few accessories...click n go sprayer, 3 bag bagger for a 54c, 54” blade, 47” snowblower in good shape with the rare side bolsters, 647 tiller, a Cozy Cab with heat, iMatch, heavy hitch, extra set of wheels and tires, and a coveted 45 loader. And a boatload of extra parts I’ve acquired over the years (had a x595 mfwd prior to this). My dad has my old x595 and a few more things. We like the interchangeability even though we only really borrow the bagger and tiller occasionally.

For the new place, I’m getting a family deal on a loaded cabbed 3046r with the 59” front snowblower, front blade, h165 loader, pallet forks, a 58” land pride tiller, 3 pt. sprayer, a land plane, and a used once 72D auto-connect MMM. Mainly need the 3R for snow and loader work, the rest is a bonus. I plan to mow with the 3R (heck yes to filtered AC on an air-ride seat), but won’t be able to mow everything due to tipping or size. This puts me in a position where I don’t need many of the x748’s extras, but do need a smaller mower. The x748 would be a great mower to have around. I also want to stay diesel.

I’m torn between selling some of the x7 stuff individually versus selling the whole kit and just getting a different machine. Pricing this is proving difficult as I can’t find anything to price against. I often see these go in sets - tractor + cab or loader pairs. My preference is to keep the x748 and sell the things I want to part with. One buddy is pushing me to sell it all and get a zero turn to speed up mowing. Another thinks I’m crazy for wanting to part with any of it, especially the loader. It is a fair amount of cash just sitting in things I won’t use again at an opportunity cost of 3r things or wife projects.

wanting to part ways with: cozy cab and 45 loader. Also thinking of parting ways with 47” snow blower I just overhauled last year. Selling all could put me in a new(er) Z series with some extra cash. I’d keep the 647, bagger, and sprayer regardless.

Sharing some background as others have moved up in land and dealt with this also - and gained experience changing equipment for better or worse. Someone else has faced the remorse of upgrading yet not wanting to part ways with the old... This is where I seem to be. Thoughts? Any recommendations for pricing a 45 loader and cozy cab? Looking to sell the cab soon and the loader after Memorial Day.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Well I think I’m qualified to answer this question. We have a 10 acre place in Eastern SD :geek: Where about a is your new place? We are near Brookings.

Bought our place back in 2016. Bought my 2007 X748 in 2013 in preparation of living on an acreage. (7-iron deck and 45 loader are the two big ones for me) I was also planning on buying a 3046R..... here it is 5 years later. I still have my X748!

We realized that the X748 was no match for about 7.5 acres of grass..... and our busy schedule.... so right after we bought the place we bought a used 1445 front mount mower w/ 47 blower and soft side cab. That unit afforded me the benefit of waiting to purchase a larger tractor..... a year later I bought a 4066R. There is a lot more to the story but I still have the X748 and all the attachments and have no intentions of selling it, ever.... and I just bought an X758.

Happy to share more of the story if you have time to read a couple novels.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I would say wait awhile, at least, before deciding to sell something (that you might later regret selling). Right now, you have an idea of what you think you need for your new property, but it is probably not going to be the same idea you will have after a year or what it really takes that you will learn after about 5 years.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Not quite in the same situation, but for comparison, I used my X738 54” deck on a 2 acre soccer field two summers ago, but didn’t want to put the added hours on the X738 and deck so I bought my 757 zero turn 60” 7-iron deck (older version of a Z730 or Z750). I expected to reduce the time a lot, but found mowing pattern had more of an effect. The 2 acre soccer field took about 1.25-1.50 hrs going around with the X738 tractor, first time with the 757 took 1.5 hrs mowing side to side, and am now just at 50-60 minutes mowing lengthwise with the 757. Turning time makes a big difference. I was making 90* 3 point turns with the tractor in 3 seconds making a square pattern. So I plan 2 acres per 1-1.5 hrs. Depending on how fast you want to get it done, to shorten the time, I’d suggest a 72” deck on a zero turn to spend the least for mowing. Tractors typically cost more for the same width mower, but cut slightly slower. I wouldn’t get rid of the X748, but would consider a 72” deck. I think it should handle it. Don’t expect the mowing time to drop a ton though. Mowing 6 acres in a very short time requires professional grade mowers that have faster travel speed while mowing.

A widow friend was mowing her 3 acre lawn with a 42” lawn tractor and it took me 6 hrs and beat me to death. I bought a used light duty garden tractor with a 52” deck to use there. The mowing time dropped to about 1.25-1.5 hrs. Grass height and cut quality both can affect the time it takes. My 757 can probably handle the most grass while giving the most consistent cut and time. Fuel capacity can also affect the total time.

You just need to try as many options as possible to get the real story.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 748 should have no problem with a 72” deck. My 1550 has a similar size and HP yanmar diesel in it, with a 72” 7iron deck, and it’s a beast of a mower!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have 30 acres on my hunting property in WV, 7 acres field. My 20 hp diesel 4X4 FEL pulls a 6' bush hog with no problem. I used to mow with a 48" deck on a JD 265. 4-5 hours one day, 4-5 hours the next day. Now just a few hours with the bush hog. I have a 52" walk behind, an X540, an X500, the old 265. I keep finding good deals on equipment that fill a niche. This afternoon I put the last stone on a set of steps in our garden on a steep hill. The stone weighs 740 pounds. The 4X4 FEL is a little over 3000 pounds, and I don't have any counter balance on it. When I stopped at the top of the hill, the rear tires came off the ground. I think the JD loaders are cool, and are great for mulch, gravel and stuff, but I don't think they would have done what my 3000 pound machine did. If I could bring myself to get rid of all the niche stuff, and just keep the loader and X540, I'd be good to go. I actually gave the X500 to my daughter for a house warming present. I borrowed it this week while my X540 is getting it's annual check up. I got to see the hour meter role over 13 hours on her machine. That's 13 total, not 13 today.

·
Registered
542 Posts
While I love my similar to the 3046R but 20 years older JD CUT, it has little business being on the lawn let alone mowing it. I think they put the mid pto on them for the 59" snowblower and then someone said great we can sell it as a mower too. I'd see how it plays out, if you can stomach the mow time on the X748 if the 3046R doesnt belong on your lawn and then find an appropriate mower...a 72" 997 would be my choice. In general, I think you are better off selling off the extras individually even though it is a PITA. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I’m qualified to answer this question. We have a 10 acre place in Eastern SD :geek: Where about a is your new place? We are near Brookings.
Hey mrbeef, I actually live in Brookings today. New place is between Dell Rapids and Brookings. Based on your videos, I think I have an idea where you’re at.

I’ve run a 1550 the last few years at my parents with 4 acres. Wasn’t all that impressed, but they have a ton of trees. The front mount didn’t seem the best for that. My new place is a big wide open square right now so it’s a different situation.

I’d love a 4R, I’ve seen some of you YouTube videos and the Nokians are awesome. They are outstanding. The 3046R is too good a deal to pass. My dad is getting rid of it and I’ve probably put half the hours on it anyways. I’ve done quite a bit of tilling and grass seeding in the area. I tilled half the town of Aurora a few years back. Haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I love my similar to the 3046R but 20 years older JD CUT, it has little business being on the lawn let alone mowing it. I think they put the mid pto on them for the 59" snowblower and then someone said great we can sell it as a mower too. I'd see how it plays out, if you can stomach the mow time on the X748 if the 3046R doesnt belong on your lawn and then find an appropriate mower...a 72" 997 would be my choice. In general, I think you are better off selling off the extras individually even though it is a PITA. Good luck.
A 997 has definitely crossed my mind. Thanks for the advise on selling individually. I thought that might be the answer. Selling individually also works to keep the x7 longer, yet get some cash back also. The Cozy cab is going... Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts