My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have just purchased a used X748 and has a 7 Iron deck on it. The deck engages fine (may seem a little slow to spool up), but when cutting into longer thicker grass, the blades will stop spinning.

Is this simply a belt problem? Worn? Needs tensioning? Or is it self tensioning?

Cheers.

·
2,042 Posts
Welcome to MTF Luke. ?

First, you're going to have to inspect the belts and associated, and see. Belts can stretch beyond the ability of the tensioner(s) to function properly, and can also glaze causing slippage. Make sure everything spins freely with the belt(s) loose, and watch your fingers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I have not had any luck with this problem. Replaced the belt, check the tension system, all good. As soon as I get into thicker grass around 1ft high, the blades stop spinning. The PTO light stays illuminated though. Do these machines have some type of clutch for the mid PTO?

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Is the pto shaft stopping?
How tight does the belt feel? Perhaps it's incorrectly routed, so it's not under enough tension, or it doesn't wrap enough around one or more pulleys?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On short grass with no load the PTO shaft will come up to speed, but with longer grass and greater load the PTO shaft will slow to a stop until no longer under load, then will spool up again. PTO dash light will stay illuminated the entire time.

·
Shacker
754 Posts
This may not have anything to do with it, but have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? You said you bought this tractor used. One of the first things I would do is change all the fluids in the machine. Then you know what you have. Let us know once you find the problem.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
PTO clutch may be slipping. Check your manual or your local dealer service to see if the PTO clutch is adjustable. Don’t run the PTO slipping or it will damage it and need replaced.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You need to talk to a JD service tec the clutch is always slipping some and that is not good .
What is the hours of the tractor is could be out of adjustment ( lets hope)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tractor has 980hrs. Problem was there before fluid change, and now still there with new fluid, filter, and correct level. There does seem to be a leak somewhere, but not sure how significant.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Any chance the oil leaking is getting into/onto the PTO?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure. The transaxle is definitely wet with hydraulic oil though. Will have to remove rear plastics to have a better look. I'm thinking maybe there is a bad seal somewhere as I think the tractor may have had sat around unused for a period of time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Blades and PTO stop spinning. RPMs stay constant? A foot of grass, how about lifting the deck and take progressive cuts instead of trying to cut a foot of grass all at once and or slow down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pictures of the transaxle. Appears wet on the bottom half around PTO shaft? Dry up top.

·
Super Moderator
13,224 Posts
I just want to confirm a few things.
1) You are mowing extremely tall grass.
2) The deck stops AND the PTO under the tractor stops. A belt is not burning when the PTO stops.

A couple thoughts and questions:
1) Which direction are you discharging the grass. These systems are designed to disengage when the engine gets hot or there is too much pressure on the system. Are you trying to mulch the grass? My first guess is the engine is either getting to hot the PTO is shutting off OR there is too much pressure on the PTO itself and it is shutting off. Here is what happens when the PTO meets an immovable object.... I did not shut the PTO off....

2) There is a good probability the leak is from the transaxle being too full and the fluid is venting out the top of the transaxle. It can happen. If the leak is not from the vent it is most likely from the brake cover.

3) Have you attempted to mow normal grass with the machine? How does it handle? Any other task for the X748?

Any chance the oil leaking is getting into/onto the PTO?
The PTO on the K92 transaxle is a wet clutch system. The clutch is internal to the transaxle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey mrbeef. Firstly, thank you for your YouTube videos. I have watched every single one of them relating to the X748.

The long grass where I have the issue varies between 1/2ft to 1ft. But even on normal length yard grass the deck will slow with the slightest of loads. Yes both the deck and the PTO shaft are slowing/stopping. Definitely not a belt issue. At first I suspected a belt, so replaced with a new one. Problem still occurred so visually confirmed PTO shaft also slowing/stopping. PTO light on dash stays illuminated, so I assume the tractor still thinks PTO shaft is engaged?

The machine has the 45 front end loader and this appears to function fine. No rear PTO is fitted.

When I recieved the machine, the trans oil level was around half an inch low on the dipstick. I've since replaced the old oil and filter.

I have looked at the K92 transaxle manual and am wondering whether it would be worth removing the rear cover and checking the clutch plates?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts